Wood ducks in beaver swamp

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Wood ducks in beaver swamp

Postby Downeastwoodduck » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:13 pm

Hunted out at a beaver swamp in ENC on 10/7, 11/7, and today. Every time I have been back there it has been clear with plenty of wood ducks. It was overcast today and oddly enough there were none to be seen except two that flew way overhead. Additionally, every time I have scouted there have been ducks, all on clear days as well. Anyone have an idea why there was an absence of them today? Also, for the above described dates, is that putting too much pressure on them? I’m new to this. Beaver swamp comes off of Contentea creek. Appreciate any insight! I really enjoy this so I don't want to mess anything up before I really get a chance to dig into it. Thanks!
Downeastwoodduck

Re: Wood ducks in beaver swamp

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:25 pm

I’ve hunted wood ducks in swamps since I was a kid but in east Alabama, not NC. In my experience, cloudy vs sunny didn’t affect the amount of ducks I saw each hunt, only their time of arrival. Cloudy days would make the ducks fly later. On sunny days they’d often fly before legal shooting light. I don’t think you’re over hunting it. I usually rest wood duck ponds 2-3 weeks between shoots.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum