Water swatting

Anything and everything Dabbling Ducks.

Re: Water swatting

Postby Goldfish » Wed May 07, 2014 12:14 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:The wild kind.

Should let those southern guys try and walk around in our "rice fields". They think theirs are bad
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Rick » Wed May 07, 2014 6:25 am

Goldfish wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:The wild kind.

Should let those southern guys try and walk around in our "rice fields".

Would be more fun watching you try to get a boat or canoe through ours.
Rick

Postby Goldfish » Wed May 07, 2014 7:41 am

Probably true, because there wouldn't be anything to watch if you try and walk thru wild rice. I've buried my 13ft push pole without ever hitting anything solid in what looks like 3ft of water.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed May 07, 2014 7:49 am

Rmk wrote:Hello my name is rmk and I have a problem, each fall I get up way to early, I get in a boat freeze my ass off in my lame attempts to kill ducks. Thanks for letting me share.

Just imagine jumping out thinking it was solid.
WisconsinWaterfowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed May 07, 2014 8:43 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:
Rmk wrote:Hello my name is rmk and I have a problem, each fall I get up way to early, I get in a boat freeze my ass off in my lame attempts to kill ducks. Thanks for letting me share.

Just imagine jumping out thinking it was solid.

Tapashit is on a role.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Woody » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 am

NuffDaddy wrote:Tapashit...

Is that some sorta new gay sex term?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Rick » Wed May 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Goldfish wrote:Probably true, because there wouldn't be anything to watch if you try and walk thru wild rice. I've buried my 13ft push pole without ever hitting anything solid in what looks like 3ft of water.

We both know that's not always the case, but my point was that folks hunt wild rice from a boat of some sort. Domestic rice is hunted on foot. Don't know who said our rice is hard to get around in, but much of it isn't bad at all if it's sandy soil and the rice was cut when the ground was dry. If it's mostly clay or black humus soil, the rice provides some welcome bushing between you and those bad suckers (My puns kill me.) and makes it a lot easier going than that same ground its been flooded after being plowed in preparation for the next rice crop. (It's most common for rice land here to be planted and left fallow in alternating years.)

If, however, it's rotten ground that had to be cut wet, so the combines are dragging their bellies:

traversing it on foot when those ass deep ruts are hidden by water can be more of an adventure. And one of the reasons God made dogs.
Rick

Postby 3geese4me » Wed May 07, 2014 1:25 pm

I would love to hunt rice one day.
http://www.facebook.com/BeakSquad

Gander Commander Pro-Staff for Waterfowlforum.net
US AIR FORCE PRO-STAFF
3geese4me

Postby Bootlipkiller » Wed May 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Rick wrote:
Goldfish wrote:Probably true, because there wouldn't be anything to watch if you try and walk thru wild rice. I've buried my 13ft push pole without ever hitting anything solid in what looks like 3ft of water.

We both know that's not always the case, but my point was that folks hunt wild rice from a boat of some sort. Domestic rice is hunted on foot. Don't know who said our rice is hard to get around in, but much of it isn't bad at all if it's sandy soil and the rice was cut when the ground was dry. If it's mostly clay or black humus soil, the rice provides some welcome bushing between you and those bad suckers (My puns kill me.) and makes it a lot easier going than that same ground its been flooded after being plowed in preparation for the next rice crop. (It's most common for rice land here to be planted and left fallow in alternating years.)

If, however, it's rotten ground that had to be cut wet, so the combines are dragging their bellies:

traversing it on foot when those ass deep ruts are hidden by water can be more of an adventure. And one of the reasons God made dogs.

Amen to that!
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby QH's Paw » Thu May 08, 2014 6:59 am

DeadEye_Dan wrote:I don't, but don't have an issue if others want to.

IMO, they're way easier to kill on the wing than sitting on the water.

I agree with Dan in that a bird is a much bigger target with his parachute wide open and landing gear down.
I can remember several times where people chased cripples, swatting them numerous times before they finally hit something solid.
QH's Paw

Postby Deltaman » Thu May 08, 2014 8:57 am

Duck numbers (and variety) coming through this area during the season has greatly diminished over the last few decades. For years, I would not shoot one on the water, but times have changed. Most of the birds we kill here now are gadwalls, and they get educated real quick, rafting up in open water, and it is common for them to light out and swim in when the winds are light. I much prefer shooting them with feet down over the dekes, but if the action is slow, and they pull that light out/swim in shet, I will usually greet them on the water with a load of #4 steel through my terrortube. Head shot birds are the bomb when eating, and after cracking a tooth on steel, love dem haid shot bastards :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri May 23, 2014 11:10 am

I generally never water swat. I'm to busy sky scrapping. :mrgreen::lol:
Who really runs the prison? The inmates or the guards?
GadwallGetter530

Postby R. Chapman » Fri May 23, 2014 11:15 am

I've said it once and I'll say it again; the only birds worth water swatting is coots.
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri May 23, 2014 12:07 pm

R. Chapman wrote:I've said it once and I'll say it again; the only birds worth water swatting is coots.

So you shoot a bird that tastes like shit and don't get to see it fall from the sky?
The only birds worth water swatting are the ones you want. The rest gotta be in the air.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Fri May 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Coots may not be fun to shoot, but they most definitely are good to eat in our part of the country. Still more than a few old Cajuns around who prefer poule d'eau (water chicken) to duck. After growing up where most called them "mud hens," I never would have believed that's what we ate after my first "poule d'eau roundup," if I'd not helped shoot and clean them. Hell, I thought the roundup, itself, a joke on the Yankee until it happened.
Rick

Postby banknote » Fri May 23, 2014 1:19 pm

I prefer to let 'em hang out a while and see if they bring more ducks in. Seems like it's usually a single hen mallard or teal, and I'd rather wait to see if something better comes along. If I do decide to shoot, I give them a "HEY", 2-3 times if necessary, and get them to jump first. I have friends who swat them, and I don't mind, just so long as we make sure no other birds are working.
banknote

Postby Deltaman » Fri May 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Rick wrote:Coots may not be fun to shoot, but they most definitely are good to eat in our part of the country. Still more than a few old Cajuns around who prefer poule d'eau (water chicken) to duck. After growing up where most called them "mud hens," I never would have believed that's what we ate after my first "poule d'eau roundup," if I'd not helped shoot and clean them. Hell, I thought the roundup, itself, a joke on the Yankee until it happened.

We used to have a big round up the last weekend of duck season as well, and it was a hoot. Have cooked it a couple of different ways, gumbo and grilled (bacon wrapped with cream cheese and jalapeno slices), and they are damn good...........but causes the paint to peel off the bathroom wall the following day :shock: Thought it was a fluke the first time, but after confirming the cause after a few subsequent repeats, won't fool with them anymore unless I've got a kid in the boat that needs some shooting practice. A coonass showed me the easiest way to clean by laying them on their back, standing on their outstretched wings, and pulling up by their feet. Breast pops right out, easy greasy!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri May 23, 2014 4:08 pm

That's how I clean pheasants
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Fri May 23, 2014 4:59 pm

3legged_lab wrote:That's how I clean pheasants

They're what I was first shown the method on.

Delta, I reckon I'd quit eating coots, too, if they gave me the shits, but fortunately hasn't been an issue.
Rick

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri May 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Rick wrote:Coots may not be fun to shoot, but they most definitely are good to eat in our part of the country. Still more than a few old Cajuns around who prefer poule d'eau (water chicken) to duck. After growing up where most called them "mud hens," I never would have believed that's what we ate after my first "poule d'eau roundup," if I'd not helped shoot and clean them. Hell, I thought the roundup, itself, a joke on the Yankee until it happened.

I shot one on accident once (I was jump shooting some ducks, and he swam into the group in between when I started sneaking and finished sneaking) tasted good to me, and my dad agreed at the time when he ate some of it, but he won't admit it when I tell anyone.
assateague wrote:Put that in your huff-n-puffer and smoke it, shootin' boy.
ducks~n~bucks

Postby RonE » Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 pm

Allegedly pelican does not taste fishy.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Goldfish » Thu May 29, 2014 12:46 pm

Anyone who says coot doesn't taste good, either hasn't had it, or says all duck doesn't taste good. I'll not be passing up those little buggers if they happen by when there are no other birds working anymore.
Goldfish

Postby banknote » Thu May 29, 2014 4:56 pm

Goldfish wrote:Anyone who says coot doesn't taste good, either hasn't had it, or says all duck doesn't taste good. I'll not be passing up those little buggers if they happen by when there are no other birds working anymore.

I'll have to try them. We can shoot 25 and they don't count against the "duck" limit, so why the hell not. At least the dog will have fun.

But sometimes when I'm jump shooting, they swim right toward me. I might have a hard time shooting those ones.
banknote

Postby assateague » Thu May 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Not me. I've never understood the "difficulty" with water swatting. I'll do it every chance I get.
assateague

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri May 30, 2014 12:08 am

3geese4me wrote:I would love to hunt rice one day.

Come on out Boot will treat you to a day you'll remember. :D
GadwallGetter530

Postby Rick » Fri May 30, 2014 7:11 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:...a day you'll remember. :D

Brace yourself.
Rick

Postby GadwallGetter530 » Fri May 30, 2014 7:32 am

Rick wrote:

Brace yourself.

It's actually a lot easier if you just relax. :lol:
GadwallGetter530

Postby Rick » Fri May 30, 2014 11:36 am

GadwallGetter530 wrote:
Rick wrote:

Brace yourself.

It's actually a lot easier if you just relax. :lol:

Will have to take your word on that.
Rick

Postby jarbo03 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:49 am

I typically don't waterswat, unless a bird wants to swim out of the decoys instead of fly, then I'll smoke its ass. I had my nephew water swat his first goose last year , he hit it back on its body and it started taking off, he then smoked it at 35 yards. No wonder he has missed a few turkeys, he is better at moving targets!
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri May 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Goldfish wrote:Anyone who says coot doesn't taste good, either hasn't had it, or says all duck doesn't taste good. I'll not be passing up those little buggers if they happen by when there are no other birds working anymore.

I've never had it. Everyone just always said they taste like shit. Guess I'll have to try and shoot one next year.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Puddle Duck Hunting Forum