Opening weekend

Re: Opening weekend

Postby firstflight » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:39 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:We had a flock of 50 of them work us. 3 passes and one was about 15 yards over our head. Sounded like a jet going over. They swung around and dropped right into the pocket. I pulled up and "click"...didn't reload my gun after chasing the crippled pintail. My buddy folded his 2 in one shot. Both beautiful drakes. Those were actually the first redheads killed on a hunt I was on. I've yet to get one...Oh well.

Man that's got to suck . Hell I still forget from time to time but I am old ...
firstflight

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:12 pm

firstflight wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:We had a flock of 50 of them work us. 3 passes and one was about 15 yards over our head. Sounded like a jet going over. They swung around and dropped right into the pocket. I pulled up and "click"...didn't reload my gun after chasing the crippled pintail. My buddy folded his 2 in one shot. Both beautiful drakes. Those were actually the first redheads killed on a hunt I was on. I've yet to get one...Oh well.

That was the first time I've ever done that. Really sucked.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby firstflight » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:18 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
firstflight wrote:

Hey it happens to the best of us .the more you get out and hunt it will happen more .
when you run the show calling , flag,work the dog ,and fast hunting it will happen.
firstflight

Postby NuffDaddy » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:24 pm

firstflight wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
firstflight wrote:

Hey it happens to the best of us .the more you get out and hunt it will happen more .
when you run the show calling , flag,work the dog ,and fast hunting it will happen.

Only reason I forgot was I was out running down my crippled pin and ended up emptying my gun on it before I got her. Then I the way back in I saw the redheads do a pass down the shore so I got back in the blind just before they did their next pass. Got busy working them and never loaded the gun.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:34 pm

I ain't telling how many times I've realized my guys needed a hand just before learning that hand's gun was empty.
Rick

Postby Weston81 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:36 pm

Happened to me once before, it's a sick feeling. It was my first year calling and my first time out working birds just by myself. Had a group of gadwall where I had to coax them back in and keep their attention as gadwall can be a pain in the ass on committing. Got them to come back after several passes with their feet down and 10 yards out. Stand up and watch my buddy drop 2 of the 5 and cussed for missing the third, my gun had just went "click". In the excitment of getting out to the blind while birds were flying I never loaded it when I sat down in the blind. I guess the only thing that kept my spirits up was getting to watch the birds work and respond to just me.
Weston81

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:47 pm

I've never pulled up an empty gun but I've definitely pulled up with only one or two shells in the gun. Had some nice wigeon come in and got off one shot then click. Wanted to throw the Benelli in the pond.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Legband » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:48 am

California General Waterfowl opens this weekend.
49 hours and counting.
I woke up at 3:30 thinking about it.
I'm 56 years old does the excitement ever go away ?
I sure hope not
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Postby 3200 Man » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:15 am

Legband wrote:California General Waterfowl opens this weekend.
49 hours and counting.
I sure hope not

We both hit the floor about the same time this morning I guess it's that time of year ?

Thank God we have been given another chance at it !

Good Luck
3200 Man

Postby Legband » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:20 am

3200 Man wrote:
Legband wrote:California General Waterfowl opens this weekend.
49 hours and counting.
I sure hope not

We both hit the floor about the same time this morning I guess it's that time of year ?

Thank God we have been given another chance at it !

Good Luck

I hear you Brother shoot straight.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Legband

Previous

Return to Nuffdaddy 2014-2015