Preseason

Preseason

Postby DComeaux » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Another weekend working at the camp. We're finally concentrating on the inside, got it cleaned up and furniture placed. The stove was installed and we did a little shrimp and crab stew to break it in. We waited out the rain this morning and made a trip to the blind in-between showers. Pulled up under the boat cover and I climbed in the dog box. The blind is full of water and will stay that way right up to teal season. We have a lot of brush work to do on this structure, which I'll enjoy, and just a little wood work modifications to suit our needs. The camera stayed at the truck.

We'll go back out there next weekend to see exactly whats needed and make a material list. I'll bring the camera and get some shots from the blind, if the weather allows. We have time to get this done.

My view of sunset on the drive to the camp Friday evening. As always, I really hate having to leave that place. I'm going to really enjoy my hunting vacations this year.
34761.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Re: Preseason

Postby Darren » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:44 am

Good deal! Still anxiously awaiting pics from the new blind/pond! Next weekend.....
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 am

I was shooting gray duck over the decoys this morning, up until the alarm went off. Had a chipped bird turn and come back but it was as if I was shooting blanks. It climbed and met with another and left.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 am

I'm pretty sure it happened at some time, somewhere... :lol:
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:25 am

Isn't this beautiful?

The four in the middle on the first shot, then work on two on the climb out.
34763 22.png
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:38 am

Patience, might go six for one when they've landed...

Going to be in this very spot later today - just a couple or three weeks too soon for anything but the big summer ducks:

Well that and the deer flies.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:43 am

Oops, this is the one I thought I'd copied with a few big ducks above the little ones:

Rice was just cut and water should be on or getting there, so I'm hoping to see something ducky while POing a couple of the last momma gators of our summer.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 am

Man, I'm so ready to be in the field.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:56 am

Ohh man! The other night the teal were flying really well, coming in hot, but I couldn't shoot for anything and then had trouble loading my gun, then I woke up. :lol:

Rod Haydel posted this on FB, but the long string of comments below the pic (not shown) include reports from all over the state with some seeing teal. No clue as to any of their legitimacy, but one has to wonder. One other report of note in that same sequence read: "Seen 12 specklebellies south of lake Charles last weekend."

Capture.PNG
Darren

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:31 pm

Darren wrote:"Seen 12 specklebellies south of lake Charles last weekend."

Right next to the flamingos.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Rick wrote:
Darren wrote:"Seen 12 specklebellies south of lake Charles last weekend."

Right next to the flamingos.

about what I figured. :roll:
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:26 pm

Most waterfowl are molting right now anyway. They not going anywhere they can't swim too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Saw a ton of mottleds the other afternoon that hadn't read that memo. But maybe everything went into group molt together since, as there was nothing but a pair of whoopers and some ibis in the field were I shot the video above today. Not a summer duck on the place.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Rick wrote:Saw a ton of mottleds the other afternoon that hadn't read that memo. But maybe everything went into group molt together since, as there was nothing but a pair of whoopers and some ibis in the field were I shot the video above today. Not a summer duck on the place.

I wonder when the mottleds molt since they aren't migratory. I know it's in the summer, maybe already done?

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Molting – After completion of breeding activities, adult mottled ducks will experience a flightless period (approximately 27 days) when they molt and replace their feathers. Prior to molting, mottled ducks will select slightly brackish to fresh marsh, semi-permanent to permanent wetlands, and managed freshwater impoundments. Habitats selected by molting ducks are generally similar to those used by broods and contain open water and low herbaceous vegetation. Water depths are typically 6 to 18 inches and escape cover, usually in the form of dense stands of emergent vegetation, is nearby. The molt period occurs during the late summer months (July through mid-September) when seasonal drought may limit wetland availability. During drought, natural and managed wetland sites that hold water through late summer are particularly valuable as large numbers of molting mottled ducks may concentrate in response to decreased wetland availability.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 am

Saw a ton and a half of teal birds. One problem....
They were at a place where you can't hunt. :clap:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:23 am

Plenty mottleds and squealers flying around on my recon Saturday and Sunday. Also for teal to make it down to my earliest recorded sighting which is in about a week, they have to be flight-ready right now. So if even a fraction of the sightings we've gotten in last couple days are half-true, apparently some are in the air!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Picked up a few boxes of these yesterday evening, along with my hunting and fishing licenses. I'm behind schedule on the license purchases, as I usually have those as soon as they expire. Just been too darn busy with the camp to do anything requiring one.

Saints football tonight....It's that time of year. :D

winchester-trgt12s7-shotshell-lead_1.jpg
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Chew softly on birds shot with those. They'll drop head-on and profiling birds like grenades - but they'll be booby-trapped.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:53 pm

They are tee-tiny little spheres.

They pluck out beautifully with out many, if any, blemishes.(Head shots :D ) They Look store bought.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 pm

Rick wrote:Chew softly on birds shot with those. They'll drop head-on and profiling birds like grenades - but they'll be booby-trapped.

Yea be careful.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:10 pm

When I discovered that using a certain shot size results in shot going right thru the birds I was pretty happy. Then I thought about cripples. Naaaa. Point blank range head shots...there ain't no cripples.
Worst case is when a bird gets turned inside out.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:14 pm

johnc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:They are tee-tiny little spheres.

They pluck out beautifully with out many, if any, blemishes.(Head shots :D ) They Look store bought.

Are those hulls soft like the experts,or better made in your opinion?

Hard...I know what you mean by "better made", and these are that way.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:52 am

Pulling out for the camp at noon today, and plan a trip to the blind tomorrow morning. We've just a small bit of wood work to do and I want to get a good handle on that. The blind has a kitchen of sorts plus the dog box. I'm going to modify all of this and cut down the area needing brush. I'll try to get a few photos, and maybe a film clip on the ride out.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:16 am

DComeaux wrote:Pulling out for the camp at noon today, and plan a trip to the blind tomorrow morning. We've just a small bit of wood work to do and I want to get a good handle on that. The blind has a kitchen of sorts plus the dog box. I'm going to modify all of this and cut down the area needing brush. I'll try to get a few photos, and maybe a film clip on the ride out.

lookin forward to seeing it!

Also I'll be slinging those same shells in #6, so maybe not quite so t-tiny, but still t-tiny. They worked well last couple seasons for me
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:12 am

This weekend and next weekend are pretty much the last chance I have to lay low until mid February as far as hunting season or hunting related things. Think I'm cook something in my black pot and get a few honeydo's done.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:34 am

Marsh Bear wrote:Don't waste your time on those light loads - 3 1/2 inch # 2 Heavi-Metal thats for teal get the heavy stuff for ducks :lol: :lol:

DAMN!!!! you like to hear the flesh ripping and see the guts fly, don't you? :lol:

Those little loads are fun for teal and light on the shoulder, with the thin shirts worn during that warmer time. I'll have the 23/4 #4 for big duck season. Did away with the 3" when we left the rice, and used those only for the chance at specks.

31/2" broke my gun. I didn't even run box of those through it.... just curious was all ...... I have an open box of black cloud in the closet i'll give to you.
DComeaux

Next

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018