Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am

We're in the process of giving our tired little duck boat a face lift. Bill and Blake had removed the go devil and flipped it on saw horses after the teal season. I went meet Bill this past Saturday to finish sanding the bottom and sides. We mixed a two part epoxy and placed a dab on every rivet on the bottom.
The sanding of the inside has began, and I have ordered the marine enamel paint in a "pirouge green", it should be in on Friday. I'm currently looking for a kennel for Ellie to set up at the camp, and I'll soon purchase a half dozen new crab traps. I drug the camper home and have washed the bed linen and will get it prepared for the season. I really need to wax it, but I haven't quite built up the courage for that, yet.

I hope to soon have us set up enough to make it through the season, cause this is whats happening.....

mof.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:07 am

I feel ya.
At least you got a boat, motor, and something to pull it with. Am ashamed to admit how many yrs it took me to get the wife to let me buy a boat. way2many.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:01 am

First cool weather of the season down here and it's only fitting that my daughter-in-law sent me a text saying she's doing a gumbo tonight. I'm going to do some baked sweet taters for a side, cutting em open and adding butter and brown sugar to the steaming goodness..... I just made myself very hungry.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:07 am

Spose ta get warm again after it frosts oct 27 and 28. Indian summer.
What gets em going for me is that first Alberta clipper which might be early this year...I hope.

There such a thing as too ready? Already dealt with all my little fixit bs but I just know something will gum up the works on opening day. It's always something.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:46 pm

November 11th can't get here fast enough.......I took vacation the last week of the first split and I'm soooooo looking forward to it.

The paint for the boat should be at the house this evening, and hopefully the boat will get painted in the next few days. It has to be on the water next weekend.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:52 pm

DComeaux wrote:November 11th can't get here fast enough.......I took vacation the last week of the first split and I'm soooooo looking forward to it.

The paint for the boat should be at the house this evening, and hopefully the boat will get painted in the next few days. It has to be on the water next weekend.

Good deal, that week is sometimes tough for us because Arkansas is closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 am

I've found a 6Wx6Tx8L kennel in excellent shape, and a 50 gal water heater still in the box for a very, very low price. The water heater will go in the screened area of the camp. The existing one was tired and had turned orange.

I've had Ellie in the water with multiple marks every day this week doing whistle stops and she is doing fantabulous! I'd be willing to bet though, that it'll be a different story at the blind for her, and especially her handler. I just need to remember to remain focused on her and forget about reloading, or even shooting for a short time. This is something I've failed to do in the past which created bad habits.
Her maturity is really showing and it has been a pleasure to work her as of late. She seems to have "it" and I blame the handlers laziness for not following through. This whistle stop control will be a blessing, for both of us.

My granddaughter was with me one afternoon when I was still working Ellie in the clean area, and I couldn't figure out why she ran away. I found out later that the referee whistle is a bit much for her little ears. Now when she sees it hanging from my neck she'll put her hands over her ears. :lol:
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:11 pm

DComeaux wrote:I just need to remember to remain focused on her and forget about reloading...

I've got that last part down pat.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:17 pm

Rick wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I just need to remember to remain focused on her and forget about reloading...

I've got that last part down pat.

That's what I'm afraid of.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:17 pm

Blake just called me to say a flock of snows were passing over his house. We're currently having some pretty good thunder storms pass through the area. He lives near town where the lights illuminate those low birds like stars. He does see a good bit from there during the season, but it seems this is just a bit earlier than usual.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:17 am

Does seem a couple or three weeks early. Been by a pretty good wad of geese, but haven't seen or heard a blue.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:52 am

The guys that work for us know my passion for duck hunting, and I just received a text from one that's been out from a hip replacement that read "I hear them flying". Them I found out was blue geese. They're moving in boys.. :mrgreen:
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:03 pm

The wife and I will be headed out early in the morning with the travel trailer, with Blake dragging the boat. We'll get it set up and take a ride in the marsh to check on the blind. Next weekend will be a big work weekend at the blind. I'll look like a sugar cane combine moving through the roseau with that hedge trimmer. We'll need tons!

Blake and I picked up the crab traps this morning and installed the rope and floats. Also made sure all of the openings we set. I'm so ready to get in the marsh.

20171028_124317_resized.jpg
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:50 pm

Today was opening day. Lake is still way low. Had to park and beach the boat in the oooze.
Putting decoys out and picking them up sucked. Am used to tossing them and paddling the boat around.
Today was different. Oh God.
After I had half the spread out THEN I found some hardish ground.
The spinner had a malfunction.

At about 9:30 I'd had enough so I headed back to the dock to meet the GW for the annual inspection.
He saw nothing noteworthy but something new has been added.
The new row of buoys actually means something.

It means "no hunting" on that part of the lake. Five boats didn't understand the new system and had to receive special papers from mister green jeans. I got lucky or I'd have been getting one too.

Some ugly but extremely perky college girl was there trying to survey hunters...with her dad. :lol:
Told them I saw three shouldashottems and a flock of missedems.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:02 pm

The ride to the blind this morning really lifted my spirits. The water is low and hopefully it falls a bit more. We had a pretty decent duck rise all the way to the blind, something I hadn't seen in a while. A few of the species I could identify were gadwall, green wing teal, blue wing teal, shoveler, mottled duck, and many poule d'eau. We pulled into the blind and sat a while watching the show, and this was exhilarating, to say the least. All we're vocal, and we got to watch very vocal,low level flocks of grays doing their familiar rapid, tight grouped zigzagging over the marsh. Hopefully all stick around for Larry to count later this wee

We were going to ride by the other blinds in this marsh but I didn't want to disturb the birds any more than had already. What we jumped just went right back down.

I did video the ride out but it was with the go-pro. The big bunches you can see look far away and are only visible because their in thick wads making a dark spot. I'm loading it to you tube, and if it's worth posting, I will.
Last edited by DComeaux on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:19 pm

Good deal DC.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:15 am

I'd be fired up by such a ride, too. (Started the annual Mudhole fourchette wars yesterday and might have seen three dozen ducks. Though a couple of those dozen were new jacks.) Hope they stick around, and the new spot lives up to its promise. You guys are overdue for a big season.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:54 am

Very nice, Dave! Hope you bang 'em up

Know of any youth hunters going this weekend?
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:37 am

Darren wrote:Very nice, Dave! Hope you bang 'em up

Know of any youth hunters going this weekend?

Not in our piece of marsh that I know of, but we did see a few people with trailer loads of brush running around. I had forgot about the youth hunt and was wondering why they were brushing blinds two weeks in advance... Now it makes sense.

I wanted to add that I pulled out the my M/M yesterday and she still works. I got the car battery charged up and it will be deployed for the season. This blind lends itself well for it's use, and it'll give Blake something to play with in the blind.. :lol: I just have to remember to not chew up the power cable with the go devil. We have a lot to do this weekend.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:11 am

My daughter just sent me a text saying "I hear geese". Of course I sent back WHERE!? WHAT KIND!? She typed, school, which is LSUE in Eunice, and the what kind prompted an "LOL idk all that" response.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:16 pm

DComeaux wrote:My daughter just sent me a text saying "I hear geese". Of course I sent back WHERE!? WHAT KIND!? She typed, school, which is LSUE in Eunice, and the what kind prompted an "LOL idk all that" response.

I got home for lunch and my daughter was there grabbing a quick bite before heading off to work. I asked her about the geese and demonstrated the blue sound with my mouth. This caused my sack to retract into my abdomen ( I hadn't done that in a while). She said it didn't match the sound she heard so I played her a tune on the riceland, and she said " yes that"s it". So there were specks over Eunice.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:58 pm

DComeaux wrote:
DComeaux wrote:My daughter just sent me a text saying "I hear geese". Of course I sent back WHERE!? WHAT KIND!? She typed, school, which is LSUE in Eunice, and the what kind prompted an "LOL idk all that" response.

I got home for lunch and my daughter was there grabbing a quick bite before heading off to work. I asked her about the geese and demonstrated the blue sound with my mouth. This caused my sack to retract into my abdomen ( I hadn't done that in a while). She said it didn't match the sound she heard so I played her a tune on the riceland, and she said " yes that"s it". So there were specks over Eunice.

:thumbsup:
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm really upset that the ducks don't show up on the video, but you can come along for a ride to the blind. Some of the birds were only 40 to 70 yards out from the ditch.... At .58 into the clip Ellie sees a live lizard in the boat. Go to you tube and full screen.

DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Jarren wrote:Seen a pouldeau running on the water I think... glad y'all are seeing some birds.

There was a good many poule d'eau out there. The go pro is not a camera for these shots. I had it on medium which increases zoom,but apparently not enough. I'll have to try it on narrow.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:19 am

Bill's had the boat for a few weeks and he did a fantastic job of getting her in shape. His camo work looks awesome, and he built some light weight wood floors covering it with non skid in spots. He also installed a few other trinkets. She'll get a work out his weekend.

41221.jpeg

41232.jpeg
Last edited by DComeaux on Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:29 am

Lookin great!
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:57 am

Can only imagine the kind of adventures (both good and bad) that I could get into with a long-tail motor.
Certain member here says he got himself a surface drive. Should I point him to the "where" part or let him discover "it" on his own? Gettin stranded where "it" is would suck suck suck.
aunt betty

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018