Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:23 am

aunt betty wrote:For half the summer y'all had me convinced that coastal living is da bomb. You mean it's not all that great today?

Life is compromise.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:27 am

BGcorey wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:
Marsh Bear wrote:DC - Lake Charles weather shows computer models predicting 23" of rain in Cameron by next Wednesday - not good

I'm going to bet the under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you're right Eric, if not, there goes teal season. I'm watching this closely and may have to go get my trailer out of there. This really sucks. Just think of the poor people in the bullseye.
someone told me yesterday hwy 27 and 14 are closed, I don't have no business going to the lease anyway but I'm not sure I could if I wanted to

I don't think they'll let you in.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 am

Our crew went back to Creole Sunday and, at last word, just planned to move up to Big Lake if flooding became an issue. Hard not to think of us getting the storm as "best case" when one considers that it was initially slated to run back up through Houston.

Just wish it would get on with it.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:24 am

Our camp site condition and weather as of about an hour ago. Pretty encouraging, so far.

36700.jpeg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:37 pm

North winds (dry air) coming down into the storm....If you look at it in time. This is a dynamic map link.

http://hint.fm/wind/
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:01 am

BGcorey wrote:
DComeaux wrote:Our camp site condition and weather as of about an hour ago. Pretty encouraging, so far.

36700.jpeg
someone send you the pic or they let you through?

That was sent to me. I think it was taken by the sheriff's deputy that patrols that area.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:26 am

Seems crazy that the damn thing has now decided to rain heaviest on its west side and keep making it worse for those folks. Sun's shining here, and I'm going to get the dogs out for a spin in the country - which may shift the pattern our way...
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:49 am

Friend of mine, and a one time active member from refuge forums, MWP, lost his house and 3 cars yesterday in Houston when they released water to save a dam.

Hated to hear that from Marc but he said they holding up ok.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:13 am

Just got a text from our camp site LL Shirley. We came out of this in really good shape, just a lot of fresh water and soaked ground. She can't get to the area due to a little surge water on the road around Cameron. Between the camp and creole is a couple of low areas that are easily flooded during even minor surge/rain events.

We'll wait a week or more before hauling anything back down there. I may however run down there this weekend to take a look around.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:37 pm

Good to hear! Hang tight on bringing her back down there, models showing another something or other that would be at least a heavy rain event for mid to late next week, SW La/east TX, if it comes to fruition. Should know more over the weekend
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:02 pm

Darren wrote:Good to hear! Hang tight on bringing her back down there, models showing another something or other that would be at least a heavy rain event for mid to late next week, SW La/east TX, if it comes to fruition. Should know more over the weekend

....and there's one cranking up in the Atlantic headed west.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:02 pm

DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:27 am

I got a report from the marsh yesterday with pictures. The blinds are underwater and It'll take a one foot drop + to get in the pit. We'll get the trailer back down there next weekend, and hopefully the front this week with it's north winds will help push the water out.

We're giving the ground around the camp time to dry. Don't want to rut up the area, which would add more to the "to do" list.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:18 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:Good luck - hope your marsh drains
We are in the same situation but we need about 2 feet of water to get out
We are goingoing to the marsh next weekend - hope we see a big improvement

I sure hope we both get some drainage, Bear. I just want the hurricane season to behind us and I'll be happy. I'm really looking forward to the cold front this week. That should get my motor running.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Yea I'm gonna be on teal watch at my pond Wednesday morning. I live in the piney woods up here but teal always hit my pond in late August or September at least once. Especially in dry years. One year I had a mix of teal, spoons, and gadwall all out there with my mallard ducks after a nasty front in October.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Ellie was was helping with the grand kids this afternoon. I think this look was like...HEY! lets this outside.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:34 pm

DComeaux wrote:Ellie was was helping with the grand kids this afternoon. I think this look was like...HEY! lets TAKE this outside.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:35 am

Mosquitoes would have drained those kids here. Pretty unreal just now.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:35 pm

We'll, more than likely, not be able to hunt the blind for teal opener. Too much water to pass through our area. I'll probably not drag the camper down there and leave it until the Atlantic settles down. If this monster called Irma doesn't make a the turn north as most models predict, missing a teal hunt will be the least of our worries.

I hope and pray that this thing turns north before reaching Florida and stays out in open water. It'll be devastating for any land mass it encounters. Those poor little islands in it's path now will be devastated.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Sure looking like someone's in for serious misery, with the current trend being anything but hopeful.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:00 pm

Gee. Buy a round trip ticket to Willard airport and I'll show what real waterfowl misery is like.
Want to sit and look at empty skies for a day or two? Show up on Sept 8th.
Serious... once you get back home it will be much less miserable in comparison.
No joke.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:12 pm

DComeaux wrote:We'll, more than likely, not be able to hunt the blind for teal opener. Too much water to pass through our area. I'll probably not drag the camper down there and leave it until the Atlantic settles down. If this monster called Irma doesn't make a the turn north as most models predict, missing a teal hunt will be the least of our worries.

I hope and pray that this thing turns north before reaching Florida and stays out in open water. It'll be devastating for any land mass it encounters. Those poor little islands in it's path now will be devastated.

Glad to see you taking the smart money bet Dave, just not worth the risk at this point. If the storm will make the Northward trek we are all praying for before it gets into the gulf, you'll still have plenty of time to play catch up with the teal. Fingers crossed brother!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:20 pm

According to the internet the gubment is herding the storm they created to where it'll do the most damage.
The theories are silly as heck but figured I toss that out here.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:00 pm

I made it out to the marsh this weekend and found the water level down below blind top level. We started out yesterday morning helping some guys with a blind on our place. We had to get their blind above water so they could pump it out. We then headed over to our blind and and pumped it out. The generator and decent sized sump pump is a time and back saver.

Well, after dropping off the tools at the truck we collected a load of roseau and made it back to the blind. We had just started brushing the front when the damn thing popped up, but just on the front side. We ran back to the truck, picked up the generator and pump and got it back in place. We left it full of water and went the camp to regroup and to get some lumber (band-aids). The pump and generator stayed at the blind.
We made it back out around 5:30 pm or so and did some patch work. (no warm and fuzzy) We pumped it out again and I crawled back into the boat. While staring in silence at our patch job, sitting under the boat hide, I made the comment that it may just hold. Not two seconds after I had said that..WHOOSH!...she let go on the opposite side. Bill turned, looked at me and said "did that just happen"! We pumped water back in, I threw a few nails in the cap and left the water in it......The way they framed and caped this blind was kind of silly, which didn't leave us many options to work with. No wonder they spent quite a few weekends last year fixing popped blinds.

We spent the morning brushing the entire blind, and next Friday we'll hunt in our waders in the water filled blind. After the hunt I will dismantle the entire existing frame and rebuild it, I picked up the lumber this evening. The only teal we saw was this morning were three that passed over our blind, and another group of 20 or so flying the same route. We also saw a big group of what I'm fairly sure were teal just to our north west.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018