Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Rick » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:19 am

Could have been worse: anchors could have pulled or blind imploded. North winds have our water dropping at a fair clip, but I may still be the only one with a blind high enough to hunt without ballast water - and I'll not pump it from my blind until later in the week.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:03 am

Rick wrote:Could have been worse: anchors could have pulled or blind imploded. North winds have our water dropping at a fair clip, but I may still be the only one with a blind high enough to hunt without ballast water - and I'll not pump it from my blind until later in the week.

Our camp neighbors that hunt north of 82 have water over their blinds. They're planning to hunt from the boat.

It's official, I'm a "Hilton blind" hunter this year. That dam thing is huge! I'm looking at netting for the top of the boat hide that we'll elevate in spots to add a 3D affect, rather than having a large, flat, rectangular surface. I have a lot of work to do before the big duck season.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:55 am

BGcorey wrote:
DComeaux wrote:
Rick wrote:Could have been worse: anchors could have pulled or blind imploded. North winds have our water dropping at a fair clip, but I may still be the only one with a blind high enough to hunt without ballast water - and I'll not pump it from my blind until later in the week.

Our camp neighbors that hunt north of 82 have water over their blinds. They're planning to hunt from the boat.

It's official, I'm a "Hilton blind" hunter this year. That dam thing is huge! I'm looking at netting for the top of the boat hide that we'll elevate in spots to add a 3D affect, rather than having a large, flat, rectangular surface. I have a lot of work to do before the big duck season.
good luck, I'm still trying to find the best ways to elevate spots on our boat hide for better looks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was told of one guy that built a planter box over his entire boat hide, complete with top soil. He supposedly plants it every year. I don't know that I'll go to that extreme. The boat hide would have to have some beefy vertical support and cross members. A collapse wouldn't to to nice, especially if we were under it.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:03 am

Should have taken pictures of the blinds at big lake before the state burned them all.
There were a couple tri-level ones that were huge. Complete with a kitchen and a couple couches.
Most were pretty shacky but some were built really well.

The idea of putting plant boxes on is brilliant.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:40 am

Friend of mine sent me a pic of their blind south of Sabine refuge and the water is 2-3' in the blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Marsh Bear wrote:DC - we use a generator and sump pump also to pump blinds - works really good until you get down to the bottom with all the grass, old shot shells, beer cans, soft drink cans, etc that some of our members are too lazy to pick up.

Break out the square ended shovels

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:25 pm

Dave,

Own that marshland Hilton and make it the finest Hilton ever! At least you enjoyed a nice northerly wind and saw a few callable birds......glass half full!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:20 am

I'm sitting here thinking about the blind and came to this realization. Having to deal with a "sunken" pit next to a monstrosity of a boat hide is kind of silly. The boat hide pretty much negates having the pit. A 10' or 12' long X 3' wide platform with a bench, and dog launcher in one corner would probably fit this a little better. Until the floor fell out from under you when it rots.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:35 am

I'll be headed out at noon today and have the truck crammed with crap I'll need at the camp. I still have the blind lumber to load and a few more bags, then I'm good to go. I'll run out to the blind this evening, alone, to put out the decoys. I'm really not expecting a big teal turnout, but we'll give it a go. My main focus at the moment is to set that blind. Once that's done I can rest,mentally.
If the blind work finishes early enough we'll do a little crabbing, and I'll throw a cast net for shrimp. We have expectations of a fresh shrimp and crab stew for tomorrow evening.

I'll have my lap top at the camp. If my hot spot service works well enough, I"ll be checking in.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:04 am

DComeaux wrote:I'll be headed out at noon today and have the truck crammed with crap I'll need at the camp. I still have the blind lumber to load and a few more bags, then I'm good to go. I'll run out to the blind this evening, alone, to put out the decoys. I'm really not expecting a big teal turnout, but we'll give it a go. My main focus at the moment is to set that blind. Once that's done I can rest,mentally.
If the blind work finishes early enough we'll do a little crabbing, and I'll throw a cast net for shrimp. We have expectations of a fresh shrimp and crab stew for tomorrow evening.

I'll have my lap top at the camp. If my hot spot service works well enough, I"ll be checking in.

Holler if you need some help on the crabbing , corey and I will be around.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:35 am

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:I'll be headed out at noon today and have the truck crammed with crap I'll need at the camp. I still have the blind lumber to load and a few more bags, then I'm good to go. I'll run out to the blind this evening, alone, to put out the decoys. I'm really not expecting a big teal turnout, but we'll give it a go. My main focus at the moment is to set that blind. Once that's done I can rest,mentally.

Will do...
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:24 am

Jarren wrote:Man that shrimp
And crab stew sounds good. Might see if Douglas will let me use that kitchen of his lol. I'm looking forward to some a magnalite full of some whole teal cooked down at some point this weekend. Pending we actually can kill a few

That's our plan too

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am

Ewww wheee I just know I'd plumb forget how to count if given the opportunity to fill the gumbo pot with teals and shrimps...I guarantee.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:46 am

DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:

Will do...

Sent you a message

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:23 am

If we do shoot a few tomorrow or Saturday, teal will be slow cooked to fall off the bone status Saturday evening.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:30 am

I pot-roasted 4 of them last night, and they were delicious! Seasoned inside/out and lightly floured, then browned them in a little bacon grease, stuffed them with chopped trinity plus sliced grapes (love the addition of the sweet flavor), laid them in a dutch oven on a bed of the same with a half slice of bacon across their breast, and slow cooked in the oven. Served on a bed of white and wild rice, and nothing but bare bones on our plates afterwards, love those birds :thumbsup:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:31 pm

Sounds like you got a plan, Dave! Look forward to pics of teal or the crab and shrimp stew. Been piddling solo in the marsh with harry all day and at camp now, even found a few birds to try tomorrow. Life is good

good luck !
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Darren wrote:Sounds like you got a plan, Dave! Look forward to pics of teal or the crab and shrimp stew. Been piddling solo in the marsh with harry all day and at camp now, even found a few birds to try tomorrow. Life is good

good luck !

Plenty crab

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:52 pm

I've no idea where the bulk of them were planning on landing, but there were plenty of high ones heading Dave's way this morning.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:58 am

I sure hope we get a front headed this way in the very near future. I really don't want a rain event, or worse, this late in the year.

two-atl-5d0png-52f19f280a1cffc1.png
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:14 pm

I had started working on whistle stop a few years ago with Ellie but never finished it up. Two weeks ago I decided to see what she remembered. I started like I had back then with the walk at my side and a blast, and she sat first time. I did this for 10 or 15 minutes. I leashed her for a bit due to slow response and she came around.

I worked her in a clean area for a few days, stopping her to a mark and diverting her to another. We've been doing this everyday for two weeks now. I started working in high for her grass and she's progressing wonderfully. I just have to try to remember where I threw the damn bumpers. :lol: I will continue this everyday until the season opens, moving to the pond (water) in the near future.

I really want this control in the marsh, and I just needed to get off my lazy azz to make it happen. I haven't worked with many dogs this way but she sure makes me look like I know what I'm doing...I'd sure like to clone this little girl, cause I'm afraid this may be a fluke.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:15 pm

Careful, Duffy's Law (named after the finest pointing dog that ever pinned a grouse - until I said so) states, "The dog you brag on is about to screw up." You can chisel it in stone and cast it in bronze. It's so.
Rick

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018