Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:45 pm

Rick wrote:Careful, Duffy's Law (named after the finest pointing dog that ever pinned a grouse - until I said so) states, "The dog you brag on is about to screw up." You can chisel it in stone and cast it in bronze. It's so.

I take it all back.....
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:32 am

Wise decision.
Rick

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:13 am

My dog is just terrible! :lol:

And truly, he's in need of the season to start, has taken a fit to a little digging in backyard flower beds that's getting him in trouble of late.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:26 am

Mine were being sweet the other night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:19 am

Off topic but wth.
Can $10.99 for a box of winchester xpert WEX 12H2 be beaten?
That's 2.75" #2 Steel. Been shooting it for years and it's been working.
Thinkin' I'll buy an extra case for when the rioting errrr duck season starts. :lol:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:29 am

I would think these would be a higher quality shell for same price.

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/amm ... -8-oz.html

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 am

Sorry. No Federal shells.
They made a whole lot of bad shells one year. (the brass was splitting on them and jamming up the works)
I'm sticking to the slag that fires thanks.
aunt betty

Postby Deltaman » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:24 pm

aunt betty wrote:Sorry. No Federal shells.
They made a whole lot of bad shells one year. (the brass was splitting on them and jamming up the works)
I'm sticking to the slag that fires thanks.

AB, I'm with you on the Federal brand of shells! I remember when steel shot was forced on us by the Feds. I bought several different brands and took them apart, to check shot uniformity. Federal steel shot was horrible :o If I would've put them on a flat surface and tilted it one way, the pellets would go in every direction, as most were not even round..........as AB calls it......slag. I'm sure things have gotten better, but I'hard to get that taste out of my mouth. It was kind of like comparing Winchester dove shells to Remington. The shot in a Winchester dove load merely has a piece of plastic wrapped around it (cheap, cheap), but the Remington has a cup (power piston I think they call it), and it gives me about 10 add'l yards on pattern uniformity. Maybe it's just my gun, but it sure convinced me.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:40 pm

aunt betty wrote:Off topic but wth.
Can $10.99 for a box of winchester xpert WEX 12H2 be beaten?
That's 2.75" #2 Steel. Been shooting it for years and it's been working.
Thinkin' I'll buy an extra case for when the rioting errrr duck season starts. :lol:

That's probably about the best you'll find on that shell these days; free shipping and no tax right? Hard to beat; they kill ducks dead, I've never had trouble with the Xperts.
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:45 pm

If I win the lottery tomorrow I'll be shooting nothing but remington nitro-steel but it's not likely.
Shot a lot of that before I went el cheepo.
For some reason there's a price-level where I can shoot and not think about how hey...there went $2 or whatever.
50 cents a pop I guess.
It's not like I haven't shot my fair share and absolutely have to have the best possible chance.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:31 pm

Bought 3 cases of rem nitros and had more misfires than I care to admit.

I’ve never had an issue with any of the federal steel in the last 10 years.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:35 pm

The nitro steel I shot was made in the 1900's.
But again so was the fucked up Federal with the splitting brass.
I'll shoot that el cheepo cuz I sweet talk them ducks so close...
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:47 pm

Ericdc wrote:I’ve never had an issue with any of the federal steel in the last 10 years.

Did they quit using slow, dirty burning powder that scalds your eyes when fired into the wind? Flat ruined Estates, too, when they bought them out and converted their loads to the same crap.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Rick wrote:
Ericdc wrote:I’ve never had an issue with any of the federal steel in the last 10 years.

Did they quit using slow, dirty burning powder that scalds your eyes when fired into the wind? Flat ruined Estates, too, when they bought them out and converted their loads to the same crap.

I know I’ve had some powder get in my eye before using them, but they did go bang.

The Remington’s cost me some specks, mallards, and pintails last year on a few good hunts. Switched to my buddy’s federals and went back to banging.

My favorites were the red box federal ultra shoks. Black clouds have always shot well too.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:42 pm

In my younger days, as soon as lead was no longer an option, I used Fiocchi for the price. I had to spoon the unburnt powder flakes from my chamber, and those big flakes burned in the eye. Just something I lived with back then. We ran some Remington two years ago and the eye burn and dirty chambers showed up. The Winchester I now shoot are very clean burning. I can run the season without a cleaning.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:02 pm

DComeaux wrote:In my younger days, as soon as lead was no longer an option, I used Fiocchi for the price. I had to spoon the unburnt powder flakes from my chamber, and those big flakes burned in the eye. Just something I lived with back then. We ran some Remington two years ago and the eye burn and dirty chambers showed up. The Winchester I now shoot are very clean burning. I can run the season without a cleaning.

Which loads?

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:07 pm

Ericdc wrote:
DComeaux wrote:In my younger days, as soon as lead was no longer an option, I used Fiocchi for the price. I had to spoon the unburnt powder flakes from my chamber, and those big flakes burned in the eye. Just something I lived with back then. We ran some Remington two years ago and the eye burn and dirty chambers showed up. The Winchester I now shoot are very clean burning. I can run the season without a cleaning.

Which loads?

If you're asking about what I currently shoot, it's this.
p_105-202-832_3.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Preseason

Postby Ericdc » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Cool, I didn’t know if it was a higher end Winchester load or not.

I try to shoot cheaper stuff, only reason I’m shooting black clouds and nitros is because of rebates that made them $10 a box or less.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 am

Gather they changed, because I've not seen it in a very long time, but the early steel Winchesters were the devil for bloopers and stuck wads when much of the fine ball powder they used got bounced around in the truck/boat for a while and migrated to the outside of their stiff, apparently not well-sized wads and didn't burn. "If it ain't one thing, it's another..."
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:39 am

Ericdc wrote:The Remington’s cost me some specks...

Hate to see that, especially since I just bought a case for my 16ga Model 12 designated speck shooter. Between lack of opportunity and my own bloopers, we've precious few chances to write off to bad ammo.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:15 am

Rick wrote:
Ericdc wrote:The Remington’s cost me some specks...

Hate to see that, especially since I just bought a case for my 16ga Model 12 designated speck shooter. Between lack of opportunity and my own bloopers, we've precious few chances to write off to bad ammo.

I shot some during teal season and didn’t have any misfires.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:26 am

Rick wrote:Gather they changed, because I've not seen it in a very long time, but the early steel Winchesters were the devil for bloopers and stuck wads when much of the fine ball powder they used got bounced around in the truck/boat for a while and migrated to the outside of their stiff, apparently not well-sized wads and didn't burn. "If it ain't one thing, it's another..."

I did want to mention that all early steel, IMO, had some issues. Before steel I used Winchester #6 duck and pheasant loads exclusively.
I was looking at vintage boxes on the web searching for this photo and saw some saying "plastic hulls". I'd assume this verbiage was used during the transition from paper, and that brought back memories. My first Remington 1100 I loaded with paper hull shells.

35721810653_6a2920e621_c.jpg
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 am

These are really old.
Pre lead ban. Three inch #4's. 1 5/8 oz.
20171011_074509.jpg

The remington guys pissed me off with their freaky attitude when I asked about how come the 870 supermagnum turkey gun beat the living hell out of my center finger. Am not the only one to complain about that.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 am

It feels really good outside this morning. Upper 60's is what the truck told me, with a little northerly breeze and low humidity. Not gonna last though, with temps rising into the 90's again in the next day or two. Heard mention of a more substantial front arriving next week :D Hopefully these north winds push the water out of our marsh at a more rapid pace......Did I mention that I love this time of the year.
It's getting dark early now, I can't finish cutting my yard after work without headlights.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:27 am

It got cool n wet up here.
Our season is starting before we even have a first frost yet.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:42 am

Was 54 this morning in Quitman. Yea gonna be a hot weekend but good front hitting next Monday.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 am

Ericdc wrote:Was 54 this morning in Quitman. Yea gonna be a hot weekend but good front hitting next Monday.

There's your front next week:

Capture.JPG

Unlikely it gets quite that nice down here but at least it's got a little punch
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 am

I miss some of the stuff I grew up around in Southwest LA, but as far as weather, give me north Louisiana all day. Especially fall winter and spring.

Summer can be really hot. Temperature wise, much hotter than the coast.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:07 pm

updated_1718_winter_map_with_akhi_full_width.png
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:24 pm

Took Ellie for her heart worm check today and she's all clear. The vet had me use advantage topical for the last six months and this is what seemed to finally rid her of the microfilaria early on. She was given a proheart shot today and this will be an every 6 month thing.

I also took the carb off the large hedge trimmer today and cleaned it and the fuel tank prior to trying to start it. It runs great! The roseau will fall by the boat loads, it'll cut through it like budda. I tried it on the neighbors hedges that reach over into my driveway and it works great, even on the thicker branches. That bush is in trouble.
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018