2017-2018 Season Log

2017-2018 Season Log

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:50 pm

9/15/2017 Opening day of teal
Temp 70's - Wind Variable ENE early giving us north to northwest later. Mostly clear

Equipment - (2) standard spinners. One facing N-S, and the other E-W, elevated above the marsh grass level for better visibility.

Bill and I

Birds- 7 BW 3 GW

I can honestly say I wasn't expecting much, and was pleasantly surprised on how the morning played out. We saw a fair amount of teal, with some big high flocks coming from the north. I laid on the call pretty hard (DC Teal) and it payed off. I wouldn't let up until I thought they were out of hearing range. Turned a few nice bunches, and broke some from other groups. The call seems to be blowing better this year...may be I have the pressure dialed in.

I think I might deploy the MM at this blind during the regular season. The set up and calm area around us during E-SE winds will be a perfect situation for that gurgle machine. We got the blind tied down and pumped out.

Bill with the birds. We lost one lively bird under the blind...Ellie was missed....gators are out in force. We actually witnessed a seagull sitting on the water get chomped up by a gator.
20170915_091821.jpg

The birds plucked up nicely, and some were seasoned to cook on Saturday evening.
20170915_105007.jpg

EricDC and BGcorey came by and we did a little crabbing. First time to meet face to face and had a really nice visit with these guys.
I had two plates...stuffed.
20170915_203002.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Last edited by DComeaux on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DComeaux

2017-2018 Season Log

Postby Ericdc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:53 pm

I see at least 2 green winged teal on your strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Re: 2017-2018 Season Log

Postby Ericdc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:58 pm

Corey and I had a great time hanging out. Thanks for sharing the crab bounty, we had a good time netting them.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:02 pm

Ericdc wrote:I see at least 2 green winged teal on your strap.

Yeah, I was able to edit...Caught it in time.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:06 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Ericdc wrote:I see at least 2 green winged teal on your strap.

Yeah, I was able to edit...Caught it in time.

We killed a good many GWs several years ago on catahoula lake during the 2nd weekend of teal season. Love em

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:32 pm

9/16/2017
Temp 70's - Wind calm to light ENE. Mostly clear

Equipment - (2) standard spinners. One facing N-S, and the other E-W, elevated above the marsh grass level for better visibility.

Bill, Blake and I

Birds- 9 BW

Saw a fair amount early, just a lot higher today with much fewer, lower groups. We were high blind again today with our group of hunters. Yesterday, after every volley I'd get a call from the other blinds. Nether blind calls, or have spinners in the spread. I met up with the land lease holder in the ditch heading back out after our hunt this morning, he had a spinner in the boat. He told me jokingly today and yesterday, that if this keeps up we'd either be out or hunting in the back forty... :lol: They had 2 and 1 yesterday and 2 and none today.

We had the pleasure of watching a pintail drake work the decoys this morning at very low level. He circled 3 or 4 times within 15 yards, 25' up.

Birds.
20170916_093440.jpg
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:22 pm

9/17/2017
Temp mid to upper 70's rising quickly - Wind calm to light ENE. Mostly clear

Bill and I ( Blake hunted with our LL. They took 1 BW)

Birds- 1 GW

Quite a few big, high flocks seen this morning, dropping down at the gulf a couple of miles to our south. Those guy's on that other section (lease) got to do a fair amount of shooting. My last year LL said they were holding a lot of teal in that last mile of marsh from the beach. The refuge's duck (feed) ponds are full.

Things went very quiet, very early and we shut it down just before 8........ I ran over the Land lords teal spinner on the way in this morning. We have a narrow, short section of ditch near the boat shed with thick vegetation. This vegetation grabs things and pulls em out of the boat. I lost my push pole Thursday afternoon and never noticed until I got to the blind. The LL had picked it up and brought it to me on his way out. Well, he lost the spinner in that same spot and I came in behind him and ran over it. I didn't feel anything, or see it. He said it was chopped in half....... He needs a new spinner.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:53 pm

You and LL off to great start, huh?! You're killing all the ducks on the property, he rescues your pushpole and returns it in working order, and you repay him by chopping up his spinner. :lol:
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:41 pm

Couple years ago I watched a guys jacket blow out of his boat. (skinny boat lane) Instead of running over it I collected his coat then chased him for two miles. When I finally caught him he was hot and wanting to know why the fuck I was following him. I said where's your coat bud? Gave him his jacket and took off.

So...if you ever see a guy lose his coat chase him down. It might be me.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:12 pm

Darren wrote:You and LL off to great start, huh?! You're killing all the ducks on the property, he rescues your pushpole and returns it in working order, and you repay him by chopping up his spinner. :lol:

:lol: I laughed out loud...Wife asked why.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:14 pm

aunt betty wrote:Couple years ago I watched a guys jacket blow out of his boat. (skinny boat lane) Instead of running over it I collected his coat then chased him for two miles. When I finally caught him he was hot and wanting to know why the fuck I was following him. I said where's your coat bud? Gave him his jacket and took off.

I hope he felt like an ass.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 pm

DComeaux wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Couple years ago I watched a guys jacket blow out of his boat. (skinny boat lane) Instead of running over it I collected his coat then chased him for two miles. When I finally caught him he was hot and wanting to know why the fuck I was following him. I said where's your coat bud? Gave him his jacket and took off.

I hope he felt like an ass.

Later on we made friends. He's a plumber from Blytheville.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:39 pm

I once chased a guy all the way home to give him the Colt Python I saw fall off its roof. Said he ran from me because he didn't know why some guy was on his ass honking at him and couldn't find the gun I was trying to give him.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:23 pm

I'm headed to the marsh in an hour or so and I'm not really concerned about whether the teal show, or not. The troubles with my projects here at work, along with the work load the last couple days have me hankering for MANY mind altering adult beverages.

The marsh is a soothing place for me, and I always hate my drive home. Worst spot is right where "civilization" begins. For me, It's crossing over the Intracoastal bridge, north. Dodging gallinules on the road should be part of every day life. I'll get to watch that big red ball set over the marsh this evening.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:09 pm

DComeaux wrote:Dodging gallinules on the road should be part of every day life.

It is. But I can't say it pays well.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:37 am

Rick wrote:I once chased a guy all the way home to give him the Colt Python I saw fall off its roof. Said he ran from me because he didn't know why some guy was on his ass honking at him and couldn't find the gun I was trying to give him.

:lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:19 pm

9/16/2017
Temp uper 70's - Wind light ENE. Mostly clear

Bill, Blake and I

Birds- 1 BW 1 green wing

Couple of missed opportunities and seen several high flocks diving towards the gulf throughout the morning. Had some groups landing in potholes around us. Downright hot and muggy. Still tinkering with the vanguard that just doesn't want to run right.

Large, three day marinated, stuffed pork roast will be in the pot browning shortly.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:26 pm

DComeaux wrote:Large, three day marinated, stuffed pork roast will be in the pot browning shortly.

That's really what it's all about! Got some speckled trout about to meet the hot grease in a lil while for the LSU kickoff. Good or bad game, food's gonna be legit.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:30 pm

It was the size of a small pig.

20170923_153947.jpg
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:42 pm

DComeaux wrote:9/23/2017
Temp uper 70's - Wind light ENE. Mostly clear

Bill, Blake and I

Birds- 1 BW 1 green wing

Couple of missed opportunities and seen several high flocks diving towards the gulf throughout the morning. Had some groups landing in potholes around us. Downright hot and muggy. Still tinkering with the vanguard that just doesn't want to run right.

Large, three day marinated, stuffed pork roast will be in the pot browning shortly.

Changed the date on this report
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:27 pm

9/24/2017
Temp upper 70's - Wind 5+ ENE. Mostly clear

Bill and I

Birds- 1 green wing

Had a group of 6 to 8 GW turn on the call and set up front and center. They were coming in hot and I thought for sure they'd drop the landing gear, but they didn't, so my flare shot was late. After the shot they were climbing rapidly, nothing else fell. We had a few missed opportunities and missed shots on singles, but the flight was light and ended at 8, and so did we. We had a spoonbill and blue wing come in together, spoon in the lead by a few yards. The spoon stayed and circled a few times but the BW hauled butt. I was cautious, so the late ID on the BW gave it a pass.

I think we may have the Briggs running okay. I did some research and found a couple of carb adjustments that seemed to work....... When I cranked it yesterday morning I saw some debris blowing out of the filter box. I knew exactly what it was, as I've had experience with leaving equipment in the marsh. It seems we have a marsh mouse that wanted pieces of the oil soaked outer foam filter for it's nest.... It was in pieces.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:24 pm

After a pork roast like that, I might not have been up to see what flew.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:59 pm

Rick wrote:After a pork roast like that, I might not have been up to see what flew.

It put a hurting on me.....Ate too late.....Not going to happen again.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:06 am

We do pork butt roasts on the smoker a lot.
Mama loves that falling apart pork with all the fat. mmmm
My recipe:
Smoke it around 90 minutes then foil it up in a cake pan and let it go til the fire goes out.
Basically 250 F for 6-8 hours.

Made Italian beef this weekend so we could "not watch football". :clap:
aunt betty

Postby DComeaux » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:18 am

aunt betty wrote:Made Italian beef this weekend so we could "not watch football". :clap:

I will not be watching football as long as they continue taking a knee during the Anthem. My Sundays started @ noon with the Saints, and then whatever other games interested me. Yesterday I found other things to do. Won't be hard for me to ignore these high dollar entertainers.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:24 am

Used to spend a healthy chuck-o-cash getting a pair of season tickets to Illini games, both football and basketball.
Premier seating. Front row etc.
Felt like being Caesar kind of seats.
What got us to stop was the university up-graded the venues and "re-seated". Shafted a whole lot of long-time donors.

Looking back I could have bought a john-boat every fucking year if I hadn't went to them dumb sports games.
Not gonna miss it. Had my fill. But the cheerleaders. mmm
NEVEMIND
These days you can't tell the girls from the boys and they can't even tell themselves. :lol:
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:04 am

DComeaux wrote:
aunt betty wrote:Made Italian beef this weekend so we could "not watch football". :clap:

I will not be watching football as long as they continue taking a knee during the Anthem. My Sundays started @ noon with the Saints, and then whatever other games interested me. Yesterday I found other things to do. Won't be hard for me to ignore these high dollar entertainers.

Look up what Drew Brees had to say. It seems a minority of the players are casting a shadow over the majority.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:46 am

The free market will settle this via nfl team ownership, boycotts, or advertiser pressure, but the government has no business with the issue. I wish trump would focus on issues like healthcare and tax reform. Stuff that actually matters to all of us.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am

Spend too much time on youtube watching random videos.
One of them suggested a few things about the NFL.
1. The NFL is a 'not-for-profit" and enjoys tax exempt status.
2. The US govt was paying the NFL to be patriotic to the tune of $53-million/year
3. What we're seeing is the backlash of us stopping the 'subsidies'.

Next month is October. In NFL-speak that means "everybuddy wears pink socks, pink shoes, pink towels...it's PINK MONTH
This means the breast cancer foundation (Susan G Komen) is paying the NFL to act like they give a fuck.

The way it works. At some point NFL is going to start selling stuff cheap...lose a lot of money, go into debt, then "tear up the joint". It's a pattern that these gangster/organized crime types do and mark my words the NFL is just another racket to those guys. Remember. It used to be called "Beer Ball".
aunt betty

Next

Return to DComeaux 2017-2018