2018-2019 Look Forward

Re: 2018-2019 Look Forward

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:12 am

When it's been me on the tractor, I've left grown-up ditch or levee-like strips to island blinds as much for making the hike in and out a bit easier as help with cover. The later of which, I'd still want to supplement to help make the strip match the blind, as flooded stubble probably won't hold up as well as you'd like.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:33 am

Doubt rice straw will be substantial enough, but hope it works for you.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:34 am

Scissor blind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:36 am

Depends on what's handy and natural appearing. In our part of the country, I'd use wax myrtle boughs, as the branches are clumpy and hold their leaves a long time, especially in water. Easy to anchor against most all weather by driving cut ends into the bottom and can be strung out in patches that look like a flooded grown-up ditch or fence line might.

Biggest rub being disposal at season's end, as I wouldn't leave the old branches in someone's field. Meaning someone should pile and burn it once the water's off, which could be problematic if none of your crew lives nearby. Might have to pay your farmer's hand to do it.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:14 pm

Duck Engr wrote:Don’t know why I said scissor blind. That’s a boat blind style. Our pit has two hog wire panels on each side that flip down. Adds a foot and a half or more to us already sticking a foot above the dirt because either they didn’t set the pit low enough, or it’s popped a little bit since they set it.

Could I remove those and do something different?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:18 am

Duck Engr wrote:Now the only variable will be getting the guys in the pit to pull the cover over themselves when needed. Sounds easy...

Ha! Seems there's always at least one guy who thinks we're hiding from birds that come marching by at ground level - or simply doesn't care. Hunters who won't help hide us are my arch nemesis.
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:12 pm

Way down here at my level of guest-hunting what bugs me is "that guy".
He's in a big hurry all the time and ain't got no time to become accustomed to a boat.
He's never been in a jon-boat and thinks it's going to have seating for ten like a tour bus. He's expecting a barge with a cabin on it despite looking over the same exact boat in my driveway.? Then he figures out that he weighs 308#. Is this safe?

He's disappointed when he shows up and never ever ever will admit that "maybe acorn was right and we should have spent some time practicing on doing all these things that the Nazi captain of this awful little craft expects to just happen without a whole lot of yack yack". Things he can not possible be expected to do. May as well take my wife.
Little stuff like tying a rope. How do I take a piss in this thing?!? What happens when the guns go off? What's that big dog for?
By the time we're sitting in the blind I've copped an attitude and "ain't got no time for splainin' things". You skipped school and now we're both paying for it.

No wonder I hunt alone? lol

My biggest pet-pieve is "the guest who insists he has to sit right in the way". The boat has a casting deck and people ALWAYS want to sit on the ledge facing the rear. Then they turn sideways so they can see where we are going. It's very important and who cares about the driver's vision.
It's not easy but I am forced to say it, "You have to sit on the floor and maybe even lay down if we get into some timber or you will go swimming".
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:19 pm

Just like rice land water controls. If you're gonna get bit, that's where the smart money is.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Rick wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:Now the only variable will be getting the guys in the pit to pull the cover over themselves when needed. Sounds easy...

Ha! Seems there's always at least one guy who thinks we're hiding from birds that come marching by at ground level - or simply doesn't care. Hunters who won't help hide us are my arch nemesis.

I have one that hunts with us that seems to trim everything around him to mid chest level. He does this quietly and I never notice until things slow and I take a look around. I've told him about himself last year. I may have to do this again this year, and brush his spot extra heavy.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:18 am

There's always at least one of those guys with the trimmers in his bag. He's an archery deer hunter and has to have every little twig just right. What you do is use chicken wire and bailing wire and wire his spot up. We actually did it on the archers and started calling them "Archie" so everyone could tell what was going on.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 am

Must be a good farmer, as I can't see red rice or other trash in the photo.
Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:43 pm

Is your blind on a levee when the rotation's rice?
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
Rick wrote:Is your blind on a levee when the rotation's rice?

It’s not. Smack dab in the middle of the field. All of the guys in the lease own layout blinds however, so we can be mobile if necessary.

As I’ve mentioned before, were considering leaving a 10-15 yard wide “stubble levee” across the middle of the field to encompass the blind to break our profile and also to hide layouts over on the dry ground for geese. We’ve yet to confirm this is ok with the farmer though.

That would be a good Idea.
DComeaux

Next

Return to Duck Engr 2017-2018