Preseason 2017

Re: Preseason 2017

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:17 am

Rick wrote:'
Darren wrote:Received a number of video clips from a friend of a friend today in Grand Chenier area marshes, north of the highway. Lots and lots of little ducks

Shop put a used electric fuel pump on the boat we poled out the other day, and our testing of that last evening turned up no ducks in the portion of our we rode - but the pump turned the trick and chase boat ("Fool me once...) didn't have to pull me out.

Just having someone untie the chase boat was guarantee said chase boat would not have to tow; good thinkin though!

The marsh from the vids was some nasty (in a good, ducky way) looking super shallow stuff, looked understandably tealy. Water in my marshes is still on the high side but thought it would be higher by this point in the week given the east winds. If we can get to the NW winds forecast for Sun night and on, we'll be in business.

This kind of forecast is exactly what we're looking for at this point in preseason
Capture.JPG
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Front line rolled through here in BR earlier today and is just getting to the hunting grounds. Water is up still but this is the weather we needed to get it straightened out as this front seems to have some punch

Capture.JPG

Looks like a great week for seasonable temps and another front for next weekend, lookin' about as good as it could be for us right now.
Darren

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Darren wrote:...this front seems to have some punch...

I'll say. Shot another little deer this morning and was all proud of myself for getting it in the truck just as the front was rolling across the farm. Then before I could jump in and stay dry, the SOB took my hat and sent me chasing it into the high weeds where it soaked me.

Super neat to watch the ducks bucking it, though.
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:24 am

Rick wrote:

I'll say. Shot another little deer this morning and was all proud of myself for getting it in the truck just as the front was rolling across the farm. Then before I could jump in and stay dry, the SOB took my hat and sent me chasing it into the high weeds where it soaked me.

Sounds like a great pre-season morning, stocking the freezer, watching ducky weather and the ducks to go with it. :thumbsup:

While some just west of me saw some impressive rainfall totals, don't think too many others did, and likely didn't do much of anything for your marsh water levels huh? On the flip side of that, been happy to see water levels in my marshes falling nicely this morning with the NW wind gettin' after it.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:56 am

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote:

Sounds like a great pre-season morning, stocking the freezer, watching ducky weather and the ducks to go with it. :thumbsup:

While some just west of me saw some impressive rainfall totals, don't think too many others did, and likely didn't do much of anything for your marsh water levels huh? On the flip side of that, been happy to see water levels in my marshes falling nicely this morning with the NW wind gettin' after it.

I sure hope our marsh went down. I'll find out this coming Sunday.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Am wanting the opposite. More water. The boat dock was sitting on the ground last time I went out. It's on pontoons.
Too many hazards to run fast at night where I'm used to just letting er rip.
From the looks of things I'm getting what I wanted. Rain for three days.
Back to normal level will be good for me cuz I want to hunt the flats. Nobody can get there except me and this one boat that has a mud motor. It ain't easy but the flat is where it's at. The skinny water gets covered up with ducks, geese, and them pesky sea gulls until it freezes.

Beyond the flat is even better when you get up into the creek. The little ducks pile up in there. Never seen so many teal except at Big Lake. Nobody hunts there because it's work to get to.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:07 am

Looking good for next few days

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Made sure to include the text above this one

Capture3.JPG

Unfortunately, longer range forecast is looking pretty stale beyond mid next week. Got some good reports from Delacroix area yesterday from a buddy who went fishing and went poking around a bit. Planning to brush blinds Saturday AM so we'll see how it's lookin' with this next front barreling through Friday night

Even if weather moderates, I've got to believe this stellar stretch of few weeks late in the preseason has done us a whole lot of good, and next full moon Nov 4
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:12 am

I don't care much for stale weather. Let's keep this rolling, please.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:43 pm

Duck Engr wrote:
Darren wrote:
Even if weather moderates, I've got to believe this stellar stretch of few weeks late in the preseason has done us a whole lot of good, and next full moon Nov 4

Good news is southern Saskatchewan is forecast to freeze up early next week with no thaw in the foreseeable future and several days of snow! We didn’t have a prayer for that happening this time last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camp neighbors are just making their way out of there from hunting this week, was snowing in the pics I saw.
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Story on speck tracking project:

https://deltawaterfowl.org/louisiana-ch ... lly-study/

Excerpt of note:

Now in its third year, the study is monitoring the habitat usage and movements of more than 40 white-fronted geese. The initial findings have supported certain assumptions, including that Louisiana’s decreased rice farming correlates with the specklebelly declines, and that plenty of specks are “short stopping” in Arkansas and Missouri that previously wintered in Louisiana. Other data is more unexpected.

“Most surprising is the dramatic impact of the opening day of duck season on specklebelly movements,” Link said. “It causes a mass exodus, especially to Texas or Arkansas. For whatever reason though, the geese that endure opening weekend tend to stick around for much of the winter.”
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Darren wrote:Story on speck tracking project:

Excerpt of note:

Now in its third year, the study is monitoring the habitat usage and movements of more than 40 white-fronted geese. The initial findings have supported certain assumptions, including that Louisiana’s decreased rice farming correlates with the specklebelly declines, and that plenty of specks are “short stopping” in Arkansas and Missouri that previously wintered in Louisiana. Other data is more unexpected.

“Most surprising is the dramatic impact of the opening day of duck season on specklebelly movements,” Link said. “It causes a mass exodus, especially to Texas or Arkansas. For whatever reason though, the geese that endure opening weekend tend to stick around for much of the winter.”

Link’s study aims to further unlock Louisiana’s specklebelly mystery

I don't think it's much of a mystery, and the guy in the photo looks very familiar.

If you cut down on the rice acreage and put a man under every bush with a gun this is what happens. Just as well set up gas cannons, which now are in a lot of fields from Kaplan to Lake Arthur. Take a ride out that way right after the season closes and take a listen. IMPRINTING works both ways, IMO.

Take a ride out into, or over the center of White Lake the second or third week of the first split to see where most the ducks have gone, and where they spend most of their LST hours. The specks just take the short trip to Arkansas or Texas.
DComeaux

Postby aunt betty » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:52 am

I dunno about toughest on the planet but the birds at a public place called Mac McGee are so trained that they know where the designated blind locations are. They can work their way into the holes in between. Expertly keeping just out of range...teasing the guns in every occupied hole. Then they plop right onto the X which is un-shootable.

Back in the day it was common for a flock of twenty mallards to land in the decoys at McGee at LST.
The pressure up here is insane. (and there ain't hardly any ducks)
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:56 am

DComeaux wrote:I don't care much for stale weather. Let's keep this rolling, please.

I'm afraid you will be disappointed. Count your blessings that plenty of ducks will pile up just in time for the opener. :beer:
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:54 am

Rainy weather will move ducks in since it’s so dry in Missouri and Arkansas.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:19 am

Headed down to the camp in a little while, blind brushing on tap for the AM after rain makes it through. Can't wait
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm

I'll be out there on Sunday...... I can see a squall line to our north west headed this way and radar shows another stretching from Shreveport down along the state line into Texas for later today (front line). I saw the temp is 45 in Dallas right now.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm

69 in Monroe right now, i think the next squall line is where the temp drop is.

Ericdc

Postby Lreynolds » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:44 pm

DComeaux wrote:

Excerpt of note:

I don't think it's much of a mystery, and the guy in the photo looks very familiar.

If you cut down on the rice acreage and put a man under every bush with a gun this is what happens. Just as well set up gas cannons, which now are in a lot of fields from Kaplan to Lake Arthur. Take a ride out that way right after the season closes and take a listen. IMPRINTING works both ways, IMO.

Take a ride out into, or over the center of White Lake the second or third week of the first split to see where most the ducks have gone, and where they spend most of their LST hours. The specks just take the short trip to Arkansas or Texas.

But Arkansas and Texas have opening weekends of duck season, too. Wouldn't the specks respond to that the same way?

Texas has lost far more rice than Louisiana, and Arkansas hunters kill more specks than Louisiana. So why should they be "safe houses" for specks fleeing our hunting seasons?

If we closed or drastically reduced our goose-hunting season, would more geese winter in Louisiana?

Assuming that is true, is that our goal ..... to have more geese that we can't hunt as much? To hunt fewer days but kill more geese on those days?
Lreynolds

Postby DComeaux » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Lreynolds wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

Excerpt of note:

But Arkansas and Texas have opening weekends of duck season, too. Wouldn't the specks respond to that the same way?

Texas has lost far more rice than Louisiana, and Arkansas hunters kill more specks than Louisiana. So why should they be "safe houses" for specks fleeing our hunting seasons?

If we closed or drastically reduced our goose-hunting season, would more geese winter in Louisiana?

Assuming that is true, is that our goal ..... to have more geese that we can't hunt as much? To hunt fewer days but kill more geese on those days?

I don't know much, if anything about the hunting pressure In Texas or Arkansas, and only what I read of the infamous public areas of the latter, but I do know a little of whats it's like in the SW ag fields of this state. Honestly Larry, that was typed more in frustration than knowledge of the true situation.
I found this article with some comments from you on Canada geese. I feel mother nature,with some help by man, will do what she pleases, and the specks may very well go the way of the Canada goose.

http://countryroadsmagazine.com/outdoors/knowing-nature/canada-geese/

Traditionally, the Canada goose species migrated to Louisiana during winter and were hunted as prized waterfowl. However, with the expansion of agriculture in more northern states such as Arkansas, Tennessee, and Illinois, where water projects and reservoirs were being implemented, the geese began to winter farther north; and Louisiana hunters were no longer finding Canada geese during hunting season. Biologists realized the geese were simply adapting their migration patterns to minimize energy expenditure.
DComeaux

Postby Lreynolds » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:10 pm

Please know that my response was NOT directed at you in any type of negative way, Dave. No-one is more frustrated than me about the changes in winter distribution that we are seeing in Louisiana. I'm also frustrated by the insistence by some, including at least 1 Commission member, that the culprit is "hunting pressure". So I was mostly musing/contemplating/cogitating about the implications of that.

First, can we confirm that changes in winter distribution are occurring? I think so, and I have used the following summaries of mid-winter aerial survey data over the last 20-plus years to demonstrate it.

So yes, there has been a change in the wintering distribution of birds.

Interestingly, snows and mallards show the same pattern: strongly declining in both number and % of Flyway birds. And, all ducks and white-fronts show a similar pattern: we have fairly constant numbers, but the % of the flyway birds counted in Louisiana is declining. For ducks, the species composition has changed as we are wintering far fewer mallards but far more ringnecked ducks. But what happens when the continental/flyway population declines? If those proportions hold, we are looking at a BIG decrease.
Lreynolds

Postby Lreynolds » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Next, let's talk about hunting pressure? What is it, and is it higher now than in the past? After all, what we've heard over the last decade or so is of DECLINING HUNTER NUMBERS despite high duck populations and liberal hunting regulations. Delta Waterfowl called it a "Looming Crisis" and has shifted their focus toward hunter recruitment and retention.

But that isn't necessarily a problem in Louisiana:

For still unknown reasons, the USFWS HIP survey shows we have lost over half our active hunters since 2013, but neither our license sales nor our Big and Small Game Harvest survey (which is sent to a random sample of 6% of our licensed hunters) jibe with that. Most hunters, especially those on public land don't believe that either. Although this graphic only goes back to 2000, when HIP was started, all sources ....... USFWS harvest estimates, LDWF license sales, and LDWF Big and Small Game harvest survey ...... agree that we don't have as many hunters as we had in the seventies or the late-90's.

So "hunting pressure" must not be just the number of hunters.

That makes sense, at least for ducks, because with advancements in hunting equipment, let's just use surface-drive motors as an example, 1 man can disturb a LOT more birds now than in the past. And on public land, it makes sense because rising costs for hunting, expanding exclusivity on private land, etc. has driven many hunters to public land. But according to the extensive hunter surveys I did in 2005, 2010, and 2015, only about 25% of our hunters are hunting public land.

So how do we define and quantify "hunting pressure" if it's not just number of hunters?

Days hunted? That has ALWAYS been the tightest correlation to actual kill. Days kills ducks is the traditional wisdom, not daily bag limit. But some folks, mostly guides and that 1 Commission member, argued that a bag limit of 3 specks would cause more hunting pressure than increasing the season length by 14 days.

What about sanctuary? Does closing at noon or closing 3 days per week or providing inviolate rest areas reduce "hunting pressure" enough to increase kill per unit effort when we do hunt because birds aren't run off an area? Our radio telemetry studies with ducks show they often find un-hunted habitat within areas open for hunting. The Lower Mississippi Valley Joint Venture has incorporated "sanctuary" as a variable in monitoring Wetland Management Units in their database, and we can't even come to a reasonable definition. The same is true for "hunting pressure".
Lreynolds

Postby Lreynolds » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:06 pm

I apologize for being long-winded and redirecting conversation on a forum designed to discuss preparations, habitat, etc. prior to the opening of the regular hunting season. Preceding comments just triggered some big issues that I deal with as the Waterfowl Program Manager ...... and provided me an opportunity to learn to how to use a new image-hosting site since my Photobucket account is no longer operational.

So lastly, what do we do if it really is "hunting pressure" that is driving ducks and geese out of this state? I mean the only way to reduce hunting pressure is to deny people that want to hunt the opportunity to do so, right? We have to reduce days, reduce bag limit, reduce access, convince hunters to quit, etc. which is the opposite of what we have been focused on since our inception as a Wildlife Management agency.

What REALLY chaps my ass is that I've had people that operate guide services that claim to host dozens of hunters per day and kill thousands of specks per year telling me that I need to do something about hunting pressure. Often, those complaining the most about hunting pressure are among those most responsible for it.

But do we even have any evidence that we can reverse, or even alter, the changes in winter distribution? I suggested a couple of years ago when we had to opportunity to liberalize the white-fronted goose regulations, that while the rest of the flyway liberalizes, we could restrict. We could go to 60 days and 1 speck while the rest of the Flyway goes to 74/3 or 88/2, and we could continue monitoring mid-winter populations to see if more or a larger % of Mississippi Flyway specks were counted in Louisiana. I have no evidence to suggest that would work and thus justify the reduction in hunting opportunity for Louisiana hunters, but the Commission has the authority to conduct the experiment anyway and maybe show landmark results. But the courage wasn't there, and I can't blame them.

But that is the kind of consideration needed if we are going to do anything meaningful regarding "hunting pressure". Or we just wait for the next drought, which has to come sooner or later, and the problem of hunting pressure will go away.

Will the birds then come rushing back to Louisiana habitats?

End of musing. Hope you'll forgive me, Darren .......

The weather this morning was downright exhilarating!
Lreynolds

Postby DComeaux » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:49 pm

I can only imagine what you have to deal with everyday. Thanks for posting that info.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:45 pm

Of course, pressure isn't the whole issue, and I don't know pecans about counting hunters, but I do know there are a hell of a lot more blinds in SWLA than there were even a decade ago. And that I'd rather neither speck days or limits were increased. But were there a way of proving it, I'd bet something nice that additional days at the end of the season put a lot less pressure on the birds than days added at the beginning of the season simply because the birds get tough enough that a lot of folks hang it up before season's end. But ours is a state where an appointed commission apparently tries to placate farmers by moving ducks back a week, while at the same time moving speck season ahead another week. Thus crapping on said farmers, duck hunters in areas with geese and, I believe, the geese, too.

I know you're doing your best, Larry, and we're blessed to have you, but the game is rigged. No one can stop the bleeding and few have the will to slow it.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:18 am

It's always great to hear from you, Larry, thanks for interacting with us, and thanks for all you do. Not all is doom and gloom, marsh was full of ducks yesterday on my travels. In last two seasons, many of these areas had been largely devoid for first couple of weeks of the season...but yesterday they were all over.
Darren

Postby Darren » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:27 am

Blind Brush Day on the Delacroix Lease

Johnny and I headed out from the camp right as the front line and rain blew through, epic hunt conditions. Did a quick radio segment in the boat on way out but wish it could have waited a bit later after I'd had chance to put eyes on the ducks we saw soon after. Lots of grays and teal seen scattered on way to the lease and around the lease in usual places.

Made a nice dent in local saltbush/mung bush stands and got the blinds hunt ready, also built a little foot bridge on a trenasse at the south blind to keep from needing a pirogue to access south end of pond when rooting up a cripple with Harry.

Wonderful morning to be in the marsh

IMG_5398.JPG

south blind, our big producer from last year. A full 3-4 feet shorter than last year's marsh motel, and likely will still shorten it a bit more for the hunt. Also nice to have some bonus healthy marsh grass surrounding it until the dogs trample it. Last year it was muddy from the start
IMG_5401.JPG

IMG_5408.JPG

and its handy little bridge
IMG_5405.JPG

loading up for new kidney blind job
IMG_5409.JPG

IMG_5413.JPG

View of it from the pond, think we got the height just right, just above local marsh grass
IMG_5416.JPG

Both blinds could stand some smaller, fill-in brush pieces but would serve us fine without it if we don't get a chance to get back out there before opener. Likely will rely on some smaller "filler grass" stuff we use that grows in very dense stands in the area and is only 4 feet tall or so. Plan is to head down next friday morning to touch up a bit then maybe try the fish before we kick things off the next morning on the 11th. Glad to have all this done with just under two weeks to go
Darren

PreviousNext

Return to Darren 2017-2018