Teal Season 2017

Re: Teal Season 2017

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:40 pm

aunt betty wrote:I'm always shocked when gads decoy. Pisses me off when they don't and it's more often that way.
They tease me a lot. I've passed on them way too many times hoping they'd decoy. Dumb move.
If they get even marginally close...takem.

While they are known for making pass after pass; they already want in to our lil ponds, so its usually just a matter of not giving them a reason to think otherwise. Many days we are taking pictures and packing up, and they're still landing.

Decoy strategy this year following lessons learned last, just replicate the locals they see.....grays, greenwings and mottleds. Nothing flashy or spinning required.
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:30 pm

And over on my end the grays are the most likely of big ducks to touch their toes and dive on the spinner before I can get it turned off. Go figure...
Rick

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Rick wrote:And over on my end the grays are the most likely of big ducks to touch their toes and dive on the spinner before I can get it turned off. Go figure...

Hear a fair bit of that myself on this end......sometimes they flare hard off of it, and I've seen myself when they've tried to mount the poor spinner. Can also tell you I'm not sold on the FAF's so far based on my teal season trials, but others are swearing by them.
Darren

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:39 pm

What's a FAF?
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:46 am

Ahh, thought of "flock flicker" but dropped the "a". From what I've read on-line, if yours are still working, you're ahead of the game.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:38 am

Rick wrote:Ahh, thought of "flock flicker" but dropped the "a". From what I've read on-line, if yours are still working, you're ahead of the game.

Beau and I split a pack at end of last season. One of my three is making a horrendous squeal rendering it useless, and all of the three set screws are rusting to hell. Will give Mojo a call on the squealer; just glad I'm not planning to make regular use of them in big season. I am still curious about their use in the Bunkie field though so will try to give them a shot there sometime, though figure they'll flare specks too, grrrr
Darren

Postby Darren » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:00 am

Since teal closed for me yesterday, figured I'd get my wrap up out of the way while fresh in my mind.

This season turned out to be a good one for us, well above what's long been our par of a few birds here or there. This was the first season of multiple hunts with limits (and/or very close to it) since what was our best teal season ever, 2011. Best of all, these strong hunts came on multiple public land tracts following diligent scouting efforts, love when that pays off! Chasing them in three different areas in total added to the fun. New public ground areas we checked out have a ton of potential for additional options in regular season as well.

49 BW teal taken on 7 hunts, includes one DNS and one 2-bird outing.

All gear is in good working order and we are really enjoying the new outboard brought to the team last summer as I'm hardest on it in teal season rooting around in shallows an outboard motor isn't designed to be in. Comparatively, the regular season and our deep ponds and trenasses used to access them will be a breeze on it. I'm sure the thermostat could use another clean out in the meantime.

Harry's retrieving in typical slick water ponds is solid, and his nose is sharp when rooting around in marsh grass for crips or buried dead birds. However he needs work on setting out to hunt up blind's that may have fallen well beyond the decoys. My fault for making a routine of training in my backyard and not making time to get out to larger venues more often; going to make a point of hitting local park in coming weeks with hopes of improving on that.

Plenty of scheming and planning to do for regular season, let those games begin!
Darren

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:55 am

Log tally correction: 48 BW teal on the 7 hunts
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:49 am

Darren wrote:Log tally correction: 48 BW teal on the 7 hunts

Glad to see that the show of birds was strong enough for ya'll to have a consistent teal season, and your reports are some of the best I have heard of this year, congrats!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 am

Was certainly well above what's long been considered our "par" for my SE Louisiana marsh stompin' grounds. Venice was reported to be "off" though some buddies got into them good Saturday morning to close it out down there.
Darren

Previous

Return to Darren 2017-2018