Post-Season 2018

Re: Post-Season 2018

Postby Ericdc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:41 am

We ran 30 FB specks last year with 6 pro grade blues close by, with FB mallards close by as well.

Will have 6 more FB specks this year for sure, and hopefully a few more, but I don’t have any reason to buy any more blues because I’m targeting ducks and specks only, a snow or blue would just be an occasional bonus bird for us, and I like the contrast the 6 pro grade blues give us. Especially the eagle heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:56 am

Darren wrote:
Rick wrote: And if you drop to a dozen or two, well...good luck.

From a blue or speck, or both angle?

Both. The grass bundled blind I posted above was in Thornwell and is an example of a fine location that became all the more frustrating when the morning guide decided adding a couple dozen blues and snows to his standing spread of three dozen specks would be a good idea. If it helped with blues, I missed it. Just know with certainty that getting specks to finish was like pulling teeth. Many would answer the call - then bump hard. Issac finally either talked the guy into pulling them or just did so himself, and, my, what a difference for those not wishing to whack at high goose butts.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:00 am

"I pick up hulls as well"
I bought one of the Mojo hull magnets on a stick last year for dove hunting, and for what ya'll are doing around the blinds to pick up, would work well. Not only minimizing extra steps in the grass around the blind, pretty kind on the lower back as well.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 am

johnc wrote:Getting down well before the birds ever get remotely close is another issue---I am lucky Dad and my brother in laws and nephew know the drill----as soon as I start calling---SIT DOWN---simple rule,but works well,,,

If I could change just one thing about most folks through my blind, it would be their level of respect for the birds' eyesight. The big bird brains tell us waterfowl can discern detail at three times the distance we can, yet most hunters apparently think them stone blind. From my log for this year's last day of ducks:

Waterfowl Responsiveness: Only specks I broke down didn't much care for the fellow still standing in his corner of the blind smoking a cigarette as they approached...

And never mind how many times how many times I'll mention that I'll not blow a call without reason or that we're getting caught and explain how to avoid it. Might speculate that it's a video game generational thing if so many "old pros" who predate it weren't the same.
Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:14 am

Deltaman wrote:"I pick up hulls as well"
I bought one of the Mojo hull magnets on a stick last year for dove hunting, and for what ya'll are doing around the blinds to pick up, would work well. Not only minimizing extra steps in the grass around the blind, pretty kind on the lower back as well.

Being a ten-thumbed shade tree mechanic, I've a telescopic mechanic's magnet that was dirt cheap and fit in blind box or day pack. Folks so inclined used to look at me like I was nuts when I asked them not to help pick up hulls, but I'd not just rather do it myself but much rather hulls than stomped cover around my ag blinds.

And John may appreciate the little telescoping rake I have for some field hunts.
Rick

Postby Deltaman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:35 am

"Waterfowl Responsiveness: Only specks I broke down didn't much care for the fellow still standing in his corner of the blind smoking a cigarette as they approached..."

Dammit man, I know they are paying customers................but I bet you ground a few teeth on that one :lol:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:13 am

This season's snows had me most curious about effect of a few snow dekes or a lot of snow dekes. Usually we'd think nothing of them being around, they always are, BUT when you walk down the levee in the dark to the blind and it's deafening with noise around you, levee covered in white feathers, hmmmm. Couple that with what seemed like a considerable uptick in low-and-looking snows/blues traffic, many came looking as if they'd been there before. On two particularly nasty mornings, they were coming and lighting around us. I took one on a solo hunt at 10 ft off the deck, and another on an earlier hunt nearly glided through the blind while I was out of it.....occupiers too busy chatting to notice.
Darren

Postby Rick » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am

Deltaman wrote:"Waterfowl Responsiveness: Only specks I broke down didn't much care for the fellow still standing in his corner of the blind smoking a cigarette as they approached..."

Dammit man, I know they are paying customers................but I bet you ground a few teeth on that one :lol:

That entry continued:

and I soon quit fighting the big bird flight only to have what broke run off by our circus when there were so many teal willing to put up with the mess.

Haven't done it yet, but expect to kill at least most of the blind island canes that help to hide some of the stuff most "hunters" do. At least at off-season's distance, it's fairly easy to say, "Screw them what won't hide." but worry over how it will also effect those that can't still has me second guessing. Hope enhancing my ability to see what's happening over the big ponds south of the mudhole will help put enough more little ducks over it to more than compensate for what it costs us in big ones. Guess we'll see...

If I don't chicken out.
Rick

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am

Video I took one January afternoon this season near the camp; blind is about 350 yards down (to the right) on foreground levee

You can see a pretty good wad of ducks piddling in the cut that's right behind the blind, they're about 100 yards out from our rear decoy spread. The neighbor's blind is smack dab on the X where that pile of geese is putting down
Darren

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:18 pm

Have done some of the "hide with your head up your ass and shoot when and what I tell you to" hunts.
Unload and stick a shell into the magazine sideways quietly.
If it's that important to be invisible I think I'd better just go sit.
Over there...
Six miles away...
At a tavern.

Here's ten shells call me when I have a limit. :beer:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:53 am

AB, I'd not pay a nickle for a hunt I couldn't watch most of and don't expect guests to. But, aside from teal, way too few of our birds would let us get away with some of the stuff that's apparently worked well enough for you. (Thinking now of video you've posted of a river bank hunt...)

Just how it is down here.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:34 am

Rick, when we hunted with you we got to watch the show from under the bills of our caps while leaning forward.

I wish all of your clients, that were able, would hide for you.

We had a big strap that day too.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:58 am

Ericdc wrote:Rick, when we hunted with you we got to watch the show from under the bills of our caps while leaning forward.

That's what I ask everyone without a mask and who's physically able to do: put their hat brim near the front edge of the blind and watch from under it. Have toyed with the notion passing out masks but wouldn't expect anyone to wear a used one that wasn't their own, and even on post season sale, new was costly for this poor person. That, and some just flat won't. (But I did end up with what should be a lifetime supply for myself of a discontinued one I think about as right as can be at closeout prices.)
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:34 am

I am trying to figure out pit covers for the club I hunt. I do not like the ones they use. You either cannot see or you are not covered. By myself, I can manage it OK, but with 4 guys, we are either not covered enough or people cannot see. You have to see the birds working 360 degrees. That's most of the entertainment, but if you are not covered you won't get them working, especially in close where it is most exciting.

I need something I can carry around in my truck and replace the club covers when I hunt. I also have to have it in dirt and snow covers. I have some ideas.
SpinnerMan

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:48 am

I've gotten away with murder up here pretty much.
Totally get it that for each mile I go south the waterfowl IQ raises.

The big blind that I sat in that kills the most birds I've seen is one where it's nestled up against some woody edge of the bayou deview. It faced east and man that sun hurt. It had a roof to hide under and yeah we had to hide but we all were peeking too. Specks generally were coming around later between 10AM and noon. They had em trained or something.

About that bank hunt on the Fox River. That place is public and you have to hunt it as is. You got a stake and you must stay within ten yards of the stake. I slept on that spot so we could get it. Imagine that. The guys across from us shot geese that day. They gave me the feet so I could make my famous "goose calls".

Now you guys are probably thinking I go out with my red kilt on to slay me sum ducks. Then lure em in with me bagpipes.
It's looks like this. That dog sort of glows eh?
He has to see to mark and try convincing him otherwise. Am not that good a duck hunter and not very good at training dogs either.
For some reason I keep going tho.
1231130721a.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I am trying to figure out pit covers for the club I hunt. I do not like the ones they use. You either cannot see or you are not covered. By myself, I can manage it OK, but with 4 guys, we are either not covered enough or people cannot see. You have to see the birds working 360 degrees. That's most of the entertainment, but if you are not covered you won't get them working, especially in close where it is most exciting.

I need something I can carry around in my truck and replace the club covers when I hunt. I also have to have it in dirt and snow covers. I have some ideas.

I would argue that no, not everyone in blind has to see birds working 360. That’s the main callers job to communicate to the other guys what’s happening.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:10 am

Spinner invest in some burlap. It hides a lot and moves easily for shooting. Do a Rambo on your blind.

That boat-blind of mine...I've had ducks almost land in the boat and could have just reached over side and grab one. In houseboat cove it happens all the time. (or did) The rest of the gunners figured out my MO and have been out doing my thing on me so I don't even try to go there anymore. :|

For me it's about being really still and moving really slow if I have to move but my Illinois ducks are dumber than shit so what do I know?
aunt betty

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:20 pm

johnc wrote:
But the list of people I will hunt with is small so I don't have to deal with near the crowd control issues,or I am put in charge of running the blind and the hunter's know me and will do what I ask

This^

There's a huge difference in friends that duck/goose hunt, and friends that duck/goose hunt that I'll go out of my way to share a blind with.

At an absolute minimum we will work on some divider bundles for next season, I even bought the materials for them this season but never got around to making them. Though the lid may be largely closed and grassed when just two or three hunters, the holes we do open are indeed usually more open than what would be ideal and most effective on geese studying the rig. For the ducks we get away with way less cover, most come from out front or the sides, or so low that they don't pass right over the top looking in.

For the marsh blinds we can get away with much taller cover using the prevalent salt bush and some roseau cane, no issues there. Knock wood, those blinds will make it through the hurricane season and we'll just have routine brushing to do in late Oct
Darren

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:27 pm

Found some examples from a E. Rue's group hunt that I had (Nov 2007):

inside the pit
DSCF0506.JPG

top side, as a reference to the height matter I've mentioned, he's about 6' 5"
DSCF0507.JPG

And result; note how lush the levee is uniformly.
DSCF0516.JPG

Two connecting levees near ours used to be left alone like that (and non-traveled by any kind of vehicle), but this past season both were clean cut. A pit in one of those, both run N-S, when the levee is left alone would be dynamite I'd figure
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Darren we use pieces of “hog panel” all the same length but cut various widths to cover the top of our blind and to accommodate 1 to 4 hunters. We zip tie grass to them and they hold up well all season. We lay additional grass on top of them so the grass isn’t all laying same direction. They are very light and easy to move around depending on how much of the blind needs to be covered in between people.

This year I’m going to make some big bundles to put over each hunter that can be easily moved around for shooting, just to close up hunter holes even more.

Ericdc

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:27 pm

How much would you guys pay to take her hunting? :lol:
My old duck club partner Phil D is a magnet for them type of girls. Sent me literally a book of chic pics.
Maybe I shouldn't have un-friended him?
13508981_492655427599668_764470663011649334_n.jpg
aunt betty

Postby Ericdc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:30 pm

Made a long term investment on this one AB

Ericdc

PreviousNext

Return to Darren 2017-2018