SpinnerMan 2019-2020 Logs

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:09 pm

Date: September 1 (False Start)

Hunters: Myself and Wife

Time: Morning

Weather Conditions: Pouring rain and thunderstorms

Waterfowl Activity: Don't know

Birds By Species: None

Got up early on the first day and it was just nasty out. My wife had been all excited to go, but the weather made it a definite no go.

Note: creating my logs for early goose.
SpinnerMan

Re: SpinnerMan 2019-2020 Logs

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:15 pm

Date: September 2 (The Real Start)

Hunters: Myself

Weather Conditions: Hot

Waterfowl Activity: Saw a decent number of geese early

Birds By Species: 4 Canada Geese

I saw a decent number of geese early on and then it died. Nothing showed any interest. A lot of trimming and chainsawing was needed to get the blind into shape for the season. So a little before 10AM I called it and went and picked up the trimmer and chainsaw. However, I left all my decoys out so if I took a breather I could sit in the blind. After about an hour, I was worn out from the heat and had got most of the cutting I wanted to do finished. So I took a seat in the blind and was relaxing in the shade drinking some water. I heard some geese, scrambled to find my call, and about a dozen decoyed right in.

I dropped the first one, missed the second one, dropped the third one. I'm happy with 2, but I've never got a confirmed triple.Early goose, that seems to be my pattern. Let the middle one go. Regular season when the limit is 2, I drop 2 for 2 quite often. :lol:

Quickly reload. Call the flock back and two pass in range. Drop them in 2 shots.

I was hot and tired, so I picked up an went home. Great start to the season :thumbsup:

SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Date: September 4

Weather Conditions: Hot

Waterfowl Activity: Not a lot of geese flying

Birds By Species: 4 Canada Geese

Didn't see much, but did well with what I saw. I had about 10 come in like they were going to land, but they drifted over the blind. No reason to wait and see if they were going to come back around. Three quick shots. Each shot I saw the bird look like it was coming down. After the third shot. Why are there only 2 birds falling? :?: Where'd the third one go? Did he recover? Did he already hit the ground? I step out of the blind to see if I can see the third bird. Oh wait, the others are not leaving in haste. Reload, get on the call. Bring 2 back by and drop both of them. While hunting for the missing bird, I had several opportunities to get my 5th bird, but I still wasn't sure and didn't want to go over the limit. After I was sure the missing bird was really missing, I called it a day so I'd have time to clean the geese before work. Otherwise, I'd have to leave them in coolers until tomorrow.

Been enjoying fishing before the sun comes up, but no real luck.

SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:26 pm

Date: September 6

Weather Conditions: Still pretty warm

Waterfowl Activity: Not a lot of geese flying

Birds By Species: 3 Canada Geese

Another very good morning. I caught 3 bass before the sun came out. Almost a mirror repeat of Wednesday morning. About 10 geese got up behind me and were coming in to at least give my decoys a good look which put them over the blind. Three quick shots, but this time three geese fell all the way to the ground :thumbsup: Finally got my confirmed triple :-D No luck in bringing the flock back around. There was another flock of geese to the west which may have pulled them away or maybe their just starting to get smarter.

SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Date: September 7 (My wife's big day)

Hunters: Myself and Gina

Weather Conditions: Nice weather

Waterfowl Activity: Saw few, but a short morning

Birds By Species: 9 Canada Geese

My wife decided to go with me today. She has tagged along once in awhile. Last year she decided to actually try to shoot something, and shot at one goose, but didn't get it, but did get excited about it. No luck the little she went with me last year after that. Well that changed this morning.

I called in 9 geese that came all the way in and landed perfectly for Gina. Exactly what I was hoping for her. She picks one out and pops it :thumbsup: I drop 2 quickly and realize she isn't shooting. Tell her, shoot another one. Which she proceed to do. And with my 3rd shot, I get a scotch double :shock: A few days ago, I never had a confirmed triple, and now I got my first quadruple.

After admiring the geese a bit and a few other things, the other 3 in the flock circled back and tried to land while I was in the field. Hustled back to the blind, made sure Gina was reloaded. And called those three back and they came right in again. Gina popped 2 more and I got my fifth.

She went 4 for 4 and the 4th one was banded. :shock:

Of course, I couldn't let her out do me. Two of mine were bands.

All locals banded 6/12/19. Two young and one adult. I'm guessing they only got 3 of the family in the trap and we took out the whole family.

SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 am

Keep it up and there won't be room for a deer in your freezer.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:30 am

Rick wrote:Keep it up and there won't be room for a deer in your freezer.

:lol:

I take the leg quarters and not just the breasts, so 25 big Canadas is a lot of meat. Right now I could barely fit a small deer in my freezers. There are good problems to have and this is one of them.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:35 pm

Good to see you with the birds. Keep it rolling.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:03 pm

Is it common to be able to call Canada’s back After shooting into them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:29 pm

BGkirk wrote:Is it common to be able to call Canada’s back After shooting into them?

Yes. Strong pair bonds allow you to call back the mate. If you take out both mom and dad, the kids are real easy to bring back around.

Most people don't think to reload and get right back on the call. It works quite often if a drop one or more. I've shot at the same flock 3 times.
SpinnerMan

Postby Duck Engr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:33 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:Date: September 7 (My wife's big day)

Hunters: Myself and Gina

Weather Conditions: Nice weather

Waterfowl Activity: Saw few, but a short morning

Birds By Species: 9 Canada Geese

My wife decided to go with me today. She has tagged along once in awhile. Last year she decided to actually try to shoot something, and shot at one goose, but didn't get it, but did get excited about it. No luck the little she went with me last year after that. Well that changed this morning.

I called in 9 geese that came all the way in and landed perfectly for Gina. Exactly what I was hoping for her. She picks one out and pops it :thumbsup: I drop 2 quickly and realize she isn't shooting. Tell her, shoot another one. Which she proceed to do. And with my 3rd shot, I get a scotch double :shock: A few days ago, I never had a confirmed triple, and now I got my first quadruple.

After admiring the geese a bit and a few other things, the other 3 in the flock circled back and tried to land while I was in the field. Hustled back to the blind, made sure Gina was reloaded. And called those three back and they came right in again. Gina popped 2 more and I got my fifth.

She went 4 for 4 and the 4th one was banded. :shock:

Of course, I couldn't let her out do me. Two of mine were bands.

All locals banded 6/12/19. Two young and one adult. I'm guessing they only got 3 of the family in the trap and we took out the whole family.

What a day!!! That should be one y’all remember for a long long time.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:20 am

Man on fire!!!!!!! Glad to see you continuing the positive trend Spinner!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:08 am

Deltaman wrote:Man on fire!!!!!!! Glad to see you continuing the positive trend Spinner!!!!

Last year I started out on fire. Not this good, but had a complete bust for December and January where I didn't even shoot at a goose and guys I was hunting with shot at just 1 and missed it.

A couple more of my early goose hunts to get into my logs. I will get them done just in time for archery season so hopefully I can add some new reports :thumbsup:
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Duck Engr wrote:What a day!!! That should be one y’all remember for a long long time.

That was definitely one of those days that will be talked about forever.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:35 pm

Date: September 9

Weather Conditions: Don't remember

Waterfowl Activity: Don't remember

Birds By Species: 2 Canada Geese

Got out before work again today. Another good morning.

Started out with a single looking like he was going to commit suicide and then clearly saw something he did not like. He was passing upwind looking like he was going to circle right in. When he passed about 60 yards upwind, he went from locked up talking back and forth with me to real unhappy and bugged out. Kind of freaked me out. I got out of the blind, looked over everything, moved a bunch of decoys. I really couldn't see anything that should have flaked him out. But something sure as hell did and I should have been well hidden.

A little while later I could here some geese calling coming toward me calling very aggressive. They landed in the lake just before they would have come into view, but were still giving my decoys hell. I quick clicked on the video because I was pretty sure they were coming over sooner or later. They came over almost immediately, but they basically just jumped up from the lake and landed at the far end of my spread by a pair of decoys I put over there set up to look like a couple that doesn't want company, but I think this couple was looking for a fight. Well, long ago I gave up yelling at them and throwing things to try and to get them to fly. I "jump them up" as my buddy says which means shoot the first one on the water. I popped the one. His mate just stood their looking at him flopping. So I popped him too. Happy with 2 geese, but was hoping for more than a ground pound video :(

Also caught a nice bass before the sun came up. Another beautiful morning of hunting and fishing.

Sept9.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
SpinnerMan

Postby MARSH BEAR » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 am

WOW blast and cast mornings going well for you.
MARSH BEAR

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:37 am

MARSH BEAR wrote:WOW blast and cast mornings going well for you.

They did. Just note the dates. I am putting up my logs from early goose before the logs permission got straightened out. I have 2 or 3 more from early goose before I am back to the present. I did have incredible luck hunting and had some action fishing every morning as well.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:21 am

Date: September 11

Weather Conditions: Very hot and humid

Waterfowl Activity: None in the air

Birds By Species: DNS

After a great run, all good things must come to an end.

There were a lot of geese off in the distance, but it was really hot and humid this morning and nothing flew before I had to head to work.

I did catch a bass before daylight and otherwise enjoyed a very nice morning in the outdoors. :thumbsup:

Sept11.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:40 am

Date: September 14

Weather Conditions: Don't remember

Waterfowl Activity: Didn't see a lot, but had opportunities at most of what I saw

Birds By Species: 3 Canada Geese

Only day I shot poorly. Early on I had about 15 swing by. They didn't show any real interest, but one was lower and closer and definitely in range. Not a difficult shot, but after emptying my gun, there were no signs of harm.

A little while later I had 3 swing by, looking really good, but just landing out of range. After talking and talking with them, they just weren't going to hop up from the lake to join my decoys in the field. However, there is a nice screen of brush from where they were sitting, so I eased out the blind and was able to walk up on them. Dropped 2, but missed the third which proceeded to land on the far side of the lake. As close as I was able to get, should have been an easy three.

He didn't move for the longest time and was in a bit of a shadow and couldn't tell if he died. Went and got the binoculars. Nope, he's just sitting there looking back at where his buddies are. So I started pleading for him to come back. Pretty soon he decides to go for it. He starts making a lot of noise, heads to the south and gets up a good head of steam and turns and comes back over top of me at full speed :lol: Missed him the first shot, clipped him the second and dumped him in the brush right next to me. I couldn't get right to him in the impenetrable brush. He was fighting the brush trying to get out. I decided to loop around because I didn't want to blast him at 10' when I couldn't tell ass from head in the brush. When I lost sight of him, he got untangled and ran away never to be seen again :(

After that, I heard a few, but didn't see many. About time to pack up I heard some geese to the south. Started calling and turned to look and a single had come in without making a sound and was about 15' over the decoys picking his spot to touch down. Ended the early goose season with a gimme. :thumbsup:

Next day was the last day of the season and I got rained out. So this ended an amazing early goose season. 21 geese (2 bands) and my wife got 4 geese (1 band). Normal early goose I will get 3-4.

Sept14.jpg
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:12 am

Date: October 6

After 2 weeks of work travel, I am back in town and archery season opened October 1. Got out for the first time. I had to meet the guy that runs duck hunting at our club at 9 AM. At around 7:50 I had to take a dump :shock: OK, definitely time to cut the hunt short. :lol: :oops: As I'm head out the road a young doe was starting to cross. We were in a stand off for awhile. I started using a crossbow this year, I kept looking at here through the scope and over the scope trying to judge the distance. Finally decided she was at least 40, maybe 50. With her looking straight at me, I'm don't have the confidence at that angle and distance. She finally turned and walked quickly back into the woods not giving me a shot. I stepped it off and she was 45 yards. I'm pretty sure I've seen this young doe many times on my camera, so hopefully I will get her another day.

I checked my cameras yesterday as well. I had a young fawn completely covered in spots on it :shock: That little guy was born way late. I've never seen one this young in September.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:32 am

SpinnerMan wrote:I checked my cameras yesterday as well. I had a young fawn completely covered in spots on it :shock: That little guy was born way late. I've never seen one this young in September.

Mmmm...sammich deer.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:20 am

Rick wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:I checked my cameras yesterday as well. I had a young fawn completely covered in spots on it :shock: That little guy was born way late. I've never seen one this young in September.

Mmmm...sammich deer.

One for me and one for my wife and that's all there is :lol:

I have no problem shooting yearling and have shot a couple really small ones. I always joked if they had spots, it just gives me something to aim at.

Ain't know way I'm shooting that deer. Nature called my bluff.
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:45 am

Don't know that it's really the law, but have heard they'd jail you for spots here.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:04 am

Rick wrote:Don't know that it's really the law, but have heard they'd jail you for spots here.

I've never seen anything in any regulations that would legally preclude it. I just did a quick search of ours and didn't find anything. However, I knew about this. "You cannot legally harvest any all-white white-tailed deer at any time. Pie-bald deer are legal to harvest." So as long as there is a little brown on it then we can shoot it :roll:
SpinnerMan

Postby Rick » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 am

I let a little piebald buck walk a few years back and put the sneak on the mother of all does, instead. Don't know if he'd have gotten that pass if she weren't also in sight but like to think so.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Rick wrote:I let a little piebald buck walk a few years back and put the sneak on the mother of all does, instead. Don't know if he'd have gotten that pass if she weren't also in sight but like to think so.

No way I'm passing on a piebald, even a spike buck. Put a giant doe with no young ones in tow and a scrawny 1.5 year old piebald spike buck, I think I shoot the piebald. They are just cool. I might even pass on the doe for the chance at the piebald. It's interesting though because there are generally two views on piebalds. Either you don't shoot them or they are a trophy. I've never seen one other than in pictures. I've never heard of any in this part of Illinois. There were some around where I grew up including a big 10 point on the one farm I hunted that the owner had seen a few times and got shot on the neighboring property.
SpinnerMan

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:19 am

Been doing a little archery hunting. Finally had a little luck last night. Up until last night, I had never seen one of the most common animals in the area while I was hunting. About 10 minutes before the end of shooting light, this gal walked out and sat down at 30 yards. First coyote I have ever seen with a gun or bow in my hand even though they are all over the place out here.

Coyote.jpg

I've been running my trail cams in video mode. While I haven't been seeing near as much as I'd like. I have got some nice videos.

SpinnerMan

Postby Deltaman » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:45 am

Congrats Spinner, one less wild dog to deal with!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Not counting one so riddled with mange that I was able come close enough to running it down afoot that I popped it with a pistol, I killed my coyote intentionally with tire tool, which was way too much like beating a dog to death for me. Swore off killing them - and then hit one with my truck in the fog on my way to the camp the very next morning.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:27 am

Date: October 20 (Opening Day)

Hunters: Myself and Jesse

Weather Conditions: Cool and nice slight south wind

Waterfowl Activity: Very little

Birds By Species: None

The worst opening day ever. The entire club about 40 guys shot about 10 ducks and 2 geese. I did actually get to shoot. Blew a ton of feathers out of a hen mallard that flew on.
SpinnerMan

Next

Return to SpinnerMan 2019-2020