Post Season

Re: Post Season

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:52 pm

2020 Survey of Louisiana Waterfowl Hunters Will Be Sent Out April 9
April 8, 2020 – The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) will conduct an email survey beginning Thursday (April 9) of Louisiana waterfowl hunters ages 16 and older to gather information following the 2019-20 hunting season. The survey will be emailed to Harvest Information Program (HIP) registered hunters with a valid email address on file with LDWF.

The survey is being administered by the LSU Public Policy Research Lab in conjunction with the LSU School of Renewable Natural Resources.

“The email will come from Michael Climek with the title: 2020 Survey of Louisiana Waterfowl Hunters,” said Larry Reynolds, LDWF Waterfowl Program Manager. “It will include a short explanation of the survey and have links to the electronic survey.’’

Participation in the survey is voluntary but it will provide hunter-preference data to inform management decisions affecting Louisiana’s waterfowl habitat and hunting regulations.

“This 2020 survey is an extension of a human-dimensions research program started in 2005 in cooperation with LSU and it corresponds to our opportunity to change our zones/splits option every five years,” Reynolds said.

This year's survey includes 30 questions covering specific options for Louisiana’s geographic waterfowl-hunting zones, as well as questions on hunter activity, satisfaction, demographics and regulatory preferences. All responses will be confidential.

Please complete the survey no later than May 15, 2020. And please do not forward the survey to anyone else to complete.

For more information, contact Larry Reynolds at 225-765-0456 or lreynolds@wlf.la.gov.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:48 am

Got the same

Wonder what will come of zones and splits for the 2021 season, seems like plenty want to tinker with them. One issue on the east end of the state is marsh below Hwy 90 is open (CZ) but there's marsh above Hwy 90 (EZ) that serves as a refuge for the period its closed.

Other way to look at it, and the way I always did when I was hunting more of the public land that way was it just extended my season. I started a week early in the CZ and closed a week late in the EZ, pretty nice.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:00 pm

If we are going to have 3 zones stagger the damn season dates and splits so who ever chooses to zone hop can have max number of days to hunt. That is what the intended purpose was when we went 3 zones 5 years ago and that's the way it was until Courville stuck his nose in it!
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:15 pm

Ducaholic wrote:If we are going to have 3 zones stagger the damn season dates and splits so who ever chooses to zone hop can have max number of days to hunt. That is what the intended purpose was when we went 3 zones 5 years ago and that's the way it was until Courville stuck his nose in it!

That's the way it has been for CZ and EZ, and it creates the very problem I outlined above on my end and also reportedly makes for issues in SW La rice country because 14 is the boundary and the birds just op north of 14 when the shooting starts in CZ. Rick can chime in on that matter, have seen a lot of complaining online of it for sure.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:12 am

Darren wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:If we are going to have 3 zones stagger the damn season dates and splits so who ever chooses to zone hop can have max number of days to hunt. That is what the intended purpose was when we went 3 zones 5 years ago and that's the way it was until Courville stuck his nose in it!

That's the way it has been for CZ and EZ, and it creates the very problem I outlined above on my end and also reportedly makes for issues in SW La rice country because 14 is the boundary and the birds just op north of 14 when the shooting starts in CZ. Rick can chime in on that matter, have seen a lot of complaining online of it for sure.

There is no perfect solution and there will always be people bitching. What I am alluding to specifically is Courville didn't want anyone opening prior to the Coastal Zone. There is a large contingent of hunters in NW La. that would like to open the first Sat. of November and hunt as much as possible early when the earliest migrators were on there way to SW La.

Here's how it could work without all the crooked lines that the commission demanded because their buddies wanted options. Specifically Commissioner Manuel was guilty of this.

Coastal Zone would be everything south of US Highway 190 from Texas to Mississippi. That puts all of the Marsh in La. where it should be in the Coastal Zone.

East and West Zone would be split by Highway 167 from the Arkansas line to Opelousas where it intersects with US Highway 190. There would be some habitat similarities along the line but you gotta draw a line somewhere and for simplicity's sake major highways are the best fit IMO.
Ducaholic

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:45 am

Ducaholic wrote:Coastal Zone would be everything south of US Highway 190 from Texas to Mississippi. That puts all of the Marsh in La. where it should be in the Coastal Zone.

East and West Zone would be split by Highway 167 from the Arkansas line to Opelousas where it intersects with US Highway 190. There would be some habitat similarities along the line but you gotta draw a line somewhere and for simplicity's sake major highways are the best fit IMO.

I'd be good with those zones, if not for it still leaving our end of the Coastal Zone battling over how early to start, which drawing the Coastal Zone boundary along the Intracoastal could help eliminate. Courville's lease and those in the very heel of the boot could still have their early birds, and the rest of us could wait for ours to show. So it goes...
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:16 am

Rick wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:Coastal Zone would be everything south of US Highway 190 from Texas to Mississippi. That puts all of the Marsh in La. where it should be in the Coastal Zone.

I'd be good with those zones, if not for it still leaving our end of the Coastal Zone battling over how early to start, which drawing the Coastal Zone boundary along the Intracoastal could help eliminate. Courville's lease and those in the very heel of the boot could still have their early birds, and the rest of us could wait for ours to show. So it goes...

I don't think this could be made to work, but it was an interesting idea. Our guide for our layout hunt in Michigan a few years ago proposed that everybody picks their season when they purchase the license. If you want to hunt the first 30 days and the last 30 days, that is your season. Someone else wants to hunt 60 days in the middle, that's their season. Your season can't start before a certain date or end after a certain date, but you can pick up to two blocks of time that you want between those dates and it applies statewide. It would be a nightmare to enforce. Maybe you have to print out tags that you display on the dash of your car. I don't know. Can't think of a way to make it workable, but I did find it interesting. It would be great for the guides. You could operate for a lot more than 60 days.
SpinnerMan

Postby Darren » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:24 pm

Ducaholic wrote:
Darren wrote:

There is no perfect solution and there will always be people bitching. What I am alluding to specifically is Courville didn't want anyone opening prior to the Coastal Zone. There is a large contingent of hunters in NW La. that would like to open the first Sat. of November and hunt as much as possible early when the earliest migrators were on there way to SW La.

Here's how it could work without all the crooked lines that the commission demanded because their buddies wanted options. Specifically Commissioner Manuel was guilty of this.

Coastal Zone would be everything south of US Highway 190 from Texas to Mississippi. That puts all of the Marsh in La. where it should be in the Coastal Zone.

Something like 190 could likely work, but I think it terminates in Covington, La going east, so what's boundary from there to MS border? Though some wouldn't like it locally (and old me preferred it the way it is to extend season), the true correct way to manage that area is to have ALL marsh in the same (COASTAL) zone. So it could even be I-12 for that matter since no marsh above that.

We've usually had birds for what's usually the first FULL weekend in November, but last year I could see the allure of waiting one more week to the 14th or so, thereabouts, and open EZ on weekend before Thanksgiving per the usual there.

I do not like losing two full weeks in December in the CZ, take it off the end of the season, any season you want. Log says it's usually not good. Thankfully we will not open EZ with specks off limits this year, I can still see those jokers pouring into the field and fluttering over the blind on 12/17/2019.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:43 pm

Darren I think a 190 to Covington with Highway 25 continuing eastward in to Miss. It wouldn't be difficult to accomplish. If I am not mistaken that's the line that is used for doves north and south. Just makes sense to me although I did hear Larry say he had some reservation to that idea one time several years back. I don't recall why???

I've never been a fan of 12 days smack dab in the middle of December for the East Zone. I shoot migrating birds when I have a good season and we typically get at least one and sometimes two blast during the split. If we go to multiple splits I opted in my comments for opening third Saturday in November as always with 5 day split after the Sunday following Thanksgiving, hunt all of December and then another 5 day split after the first Sunday in January. Then you run the season to 60 days which would have it closing on Friday Jan. 29th this year. That way the only weekend lost is the last weekend. By then I am burnt out anyhow.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:57 pm

I personally don't care how the zones are set up, I would however like to see a shorter season. We can harass the ducks in November and December and maybe a week or two into January then let them be to struggle with the remainder of the winter in peace, without hunter harassment.
DComeaux

Postby Ducaholic » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:28 pm

For any season less than 60 days it would be biologically most beneficial to take days off the end of the season due to pair bonding and over all health of the general population of ducks for their northward trek.

But with the planet warming and populations holding steady I think you still have to consider the health of the sport and give hunters their best shot at bagging enough ducks to keep them interested.

I’m not sure where that balance lies but I’m ready to try something different than same old same old.
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Ducaholic wrote: I think you still have to consider the health of the sport

I think this is a main issue. The health of waterfowl is being pushed aside and trampled for the dollar. As you've mentioned in the past, it's going to take the bottom falling out to see change if this continues, just like our current virus issue. It shouldn't have to come to that.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:45 am

DComeaux wrote:

I think this is a main issue. The health of waterfowl is being pushed aside and trampled for the dollar. As you've mentioned in the past, it's going to take the bottom falling out to see change if this continues, just like our current virus issue. It shouldn't have to come to that.

Officially published data says the pops are doing great; why all of the sudden are we concerned for the birds' well being in trek northward? Are they struggling? Habitat up the heart of the flyway (basically everything BUT our coast) is better than ever, as we know too well. Short of evidence to the contrary, I don't see this as a big factor. Well, unless you don't believe the numbers published.............in which case we have a much, MUCH larger issue at hand.......and that contingent seems to be growing.

I'd rather not hunt till the end primarily because I'm burned out and the birds are smarter, just doesn't make for an ideal combination for enjoyment of getting up early, the drives, the expenses, etc. compared to earlier in season.
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:03 am

DComeaux wrote:

Currently populations are not being impacted. Are their behaviors on the wintering grounds being impacted? Absolutely and like never before.
Ducaholic

Postby Ducaholic » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:14 am

Darren wrote:
DComeaux wrote:

Officially published data says the pops are doing great; why all of the sudden are we concerned for the birds' well being in trek northward? Are they struggling? Habitat up the heart of the flyway (basically everything BUT our coast) is better than ever, as we know too well. Short of evidence to the contrary, I don't see this as a big factor. Well, unless you don't believe the numbers published.............in which case we have a much, MUCH larger issue at hand.......and that contingent seems to be growing.

I'd rather not hunt till the end primarily because I'm burned out and the birds are smarter, just doesn't make for an ideal combination for enjoyment of getting up early, the drives, the expenses, etc. compared to earlier in season.

What I said was if we were to take days off the season the obvious choice would be at the end of the season and I gave biological reasons why I thought that was the case.

With that said at 60 I don't need to hunt quite as much as I used to but I would like to enjoy the hunts I do make. So if that means fewer days, instituting means to reduce pressure, opening up closed areas to limited hunting then I am all for trying different things. Doing what we have always done and hoping we get a real winter just seems further and further from the right answer as time goes on.
Ducaholic

Postby Darren » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Yea I dont want those end of season days either, THOUGH we've had some success in Bunkie when birds were on the farm and/or weather was coming through at end of season (Jan 2018 was good until ALMOST the last day, when DC came and brought the black cloud on us.....but did help pick up decoys, what a guy!?)

In the marsh, its often mud flats and birds on bays. I see them in the dark jumping up around the boat when running across some big lagoons heading to the blind, show up in the spotlight!

But as I'm sure you've seen on FB, there's a contingent, well really just one particularly vocal one on my end, that wants to hunt the marsh to the last day in January because he says he historically has done well. Sooo lots are saying they want early, some are saying they want late, sure doesn't make for a fun time at Larry's office.

PS: DC, you given any more thought to going in together on LPI club? If you buy it, I promise to come do some work days. :lol:
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Darren wrote:Yea I dont want those end of season days either, THOUGH we've had some success in Bunkie when birds were on the farm and/or weather was coming through at end of season (Jan 2018 was good until ALMOST the last day, when DC came and brought the black cloud on us.....but did help pick up decoys, what a guy!?)

In the marsh, its often mud flats and birds on bays. I see them in the dark jumping up around the boat when running across some big lagoons heading to the blind, show up in the spotlight!

But as I'm sure you've seen on FB, there's a contingent, well really just one particularly vocal one on my end, that wants to hunt the marsh to the last day in January because he says he historically has done well. Sooo lots are saying they want early, some are saying they want late, sure doesn't make for a fun time at Larry's office.

PS: DC, you given any more thought to going in together on LPI club? If you buy it, I promise to come do some work days. :lol:

I think I'll pass on that one. I heard tell that is was disgruntled released employees making noise.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:13 pm

DComeaux wrote:
Darren wrote:PS: DC, you given any more thought to going in together on LPI club? If you buy it, I promise to come do some work days. :lol:

I think I'll pass on that one. I heard tell that is was disgruntled released employees making noise.

Ohh Llawwwddd

We'll have to get by with the places we do have access to.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:30 am

Neat video.

DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:10 pm

That was a cool video. Thanks for sharing DC.

So if I’m understanding her position right, she prefers that River wasn’t leveed so that it’s allowed to flood and replenish the marsh?
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:52 pm

Yes, that's what I get as well, but where she lives now would flood every spring. They lived with this flooding as the norm many years ago but it was no doubt inconvenient. Imagine what our coastal marsh would look like today if they wouldn't have built the levees and subsequent towns and businesses in the flood plain. Though the Mississippi would now be running through Morgan City LA.

When the Morgana flood gates were opened a few years ago people down stream inside the levees were complaining. Troy Landry of the Swamp people fame lives in Pierre Part LA. This is a little town/village which is in the flood plain, and in an interview he told the reporter that he/they chose to live there and know or should know the consequences. Heck, where I live today might have spring flooding from the rivers if not for the furthest west protection levee of the Atchafalaya basin.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:51 am

It’s easy to be a “blow the levees” proponent when you don’t live in their shadow. Interesting to see folks who do live in their shadow or at least under their protection having that same mentality.

Louisiana isn’t the only place with buyer’s remorse on levees. Arkansans are starting to realize levees around green trees is a recipe for disaster too.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:02 am

..and that was supposed to be Morganza gates. Spell check did it's thing.
DComeaux

Postby DComeaux » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:33 pm

[url]https://www.katc.com/news/covering-louisiana/shots-fired-at-duck-dynasty-home?fbclid=IwAR3njACfqK9R7lspVQXQWVnis6nA38ySJAdjbeeo8VupXTB64kqekmOV8_w
[/url]
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:45 am

Durn, Dave, we knew you were upset about the commercialization of waterfowling, but...
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:42 am

Wasn't me. I guess I didn't need to attach the link using the URL tab. Update

https://www.katc.com/news/covering-loui ... kqekmOV8_w

This guy did it.

Daniel King Jr.
95028031_1138709329800212_5966869533141499904_n.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:22 am

It’ll be interesting to see what his motive was, if anything other than some mind-altering drugs.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby DComeaux » Fri May 01, 2020 8:36 am

DComeaux

Postby Duck Engr » Fri May 01, 2020 9:39 pm

Yep. 60/6 here we come!

Another interesting thing to note is I’ve heard rumblings of Canada not allowing non-resident hunters this fall. Will this mean we finally get to hunt some young dumb ones?! Probably not
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby BGkirk » Sat May 02, 2020 8:52 pm

Darren wrote:
Ducaholic wrote:
Darren wrote:

Something like 190 could likely work, but I think it terminates in Covington, La going east, so what's boundary from there to MS border? Though some wouldn't like it locally (and old me preferred it the way it is to extend season), the true correct way to manage that area is to have ALL marsh in the same (COASTAL) zone. So it could even be I-12 for that matter since no marsh above that.

We've usually had birds for what's usually the first FULL weekend in November, but last year I could see the allure of waiting one more week to the 14th or so, thereabouts, and open EZ on weekend before Thanksgiving per the usual there.

I do not like losing two full weeks in December in the CZ, take it off the end of the season, any season you want. Log says it's usually not good. Thankfully we will not open EZ with specks off limits this year, I can still see those jokers pouring into the field and fluttering over the blind on 12/17/2019.
Agree with you on missing 2 weeks in Dec. it gives me a good break for a weekend but there’s usually a front I’m wishing I was hunting during that time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2019-2020