Preseason

Re: Preseason

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:27 pm

Nice input on both sides. That was an informative read.

I could get behind the idea of banning cats. Let’s start the movement. Save the birds!!
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby SpinnerMan » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:56 pm

Lreynolds wrote:Indeed. I've recently heard similar arguments about our game-law enforcement that illegal harvest is such a small % of overall hunter kill, why are we spending so much to regulate it?

Everyone knows we have to defund the police :lol:
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:25 am

Oil-Covered Brown Pelican Transported to Georgia After 2010 Deepwater Horizon Disaster Finds Its Way Back to Louisiana

The distance is about 700 miles as the crow flies. But a brown pelican transported from Louisiana to Georgia in 2010 was bound and determined to cover that ground and return to the Bayou State.
And back home it is.
This brown pelican was covered in oil during the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill in 2010, rescued and cleaned then flown to and released in Georgia. It was spotted in March on a rock jetty on Queen Bess Island in Barataria Bay by a Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) biologist.
The pelican was tagged “Red 33Z” when captured on June 14, 2010, at the Empire Jetties in Barataria Bay in the wake of the giant oil spill. It was taken to a triage facility and then to a rehabilitation facility in Louisiana. After that, it was taken via plane to a U.S. Coast Guard station in Brunswick, Georgia, and released on July 1, 2010.
“It’s truly impressive that it made its way back from Georgia,’’ said LDWF biologist Casey Wright, who spotted and photographed the pelican last month. The 33Z tag remains on the pelican’s right leg and can clearly be seen in the photograph taken by Wright. It isn’t known exactly when the bird came back to Louisiana.
“Brown pelicans, like most seabirds, are thought to be hard-wired, genetically, to return to their birth colony to breed, despite moving long distances during the non-breeding season,’’ LDWF Non-game Ornithologist Robert Dobbs said. “That may be an overly simplistic generalization, but re-sighting data of banded pelicans often support that pattern.’’
The pelican was one of 582 successfully rehabbed during the aftermath of the spill. More than 5,000 birds, dead and alive, were collected in Louisiana because of the disaster. This comprised approximately 65 percent of the bird recoveries throughout the Gulf of Mexico. Brown pelicans made up 22 percent of all recoveries. Data suggest that the spill resulted in between 51,000-84,000 birds killed, and the actual number was likely on the high end of that scale.
The pelican was released in Georgia because it was captured early on after the spill. Birds that were rehabbed at that point were released outside the impact area so they weren’t in danger of getting into the oil again. The birds were released in Georgia, Texas and Florida. Other pelicans released in other areas have been spotted back in Louisiana.
Eleven birds that were unable to be released were taken to zoos.
Queen Bess Island, which was heavily impacted by the oil spill, is a key colonial water bird nesting colony that accounts for 15-20 percent of young brown pelicans hatched in Louisiana in a given year. The island, managed by LDWF as a refuge now, had been reduced to about five acres of available nesting habitat before the restoration project in 2019-20. It now has about 36 acres.
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:40 pm

Great story Dave, and Thanks for sharing. Very cool that it was able to find it's way home from the East coast!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Rick » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:20 pm

Have to wonder how many returned in time to be impacted again...
Rick

Postby Darren » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:45 am

My firm is one of the partners overseeing the North Breton Island restoration dredging operation right now, we've got a guy out there 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Pretty interesting project, being paid for with BP funds as part of the wildlife compensation part.

Why build an island to replace dead pelicans? Because you can't buy pelicans at Petco, so you instead rehab their nesting grounds to make more pelicans.

Interestingly enough, the majority of the birds that succumbed to being oiled died of hypothermia, not toxic effects of the oil. The oil takes the loft out of the feathers so the birds can't keep warm.

Seeing those sights, now over a decade ago, was heartbreaking.
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:59 pm

DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:29 am

Lazy bastard :o
Made me smile, Thanks Dave!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby DComeaux » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:57 pm

If you've read of the incident at Reelfoot lake during the duck season, this is an interview with one of the survivors.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/deep-dives/duck-hunters-killed-reelfoot-lake-tennessee/?fbclid=IwAR2D2_BuRqYxSAW9a6-pL6zFVopZYpH65z5y3plNQ4uBUM50B8floOjE19A
DComeaux

Postby Deltaman » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:39 pm

Thanks for the "rest of the story" Dave, and a sad situation from every angle.
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:28 pm

Wow :shock:

"An empty hull was stuck in the action."

:shock: :shock:
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Tue May 04, 2021 9:11 pm

DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed May 05, 2021 4:37 am

DComeaux wrote:Glad to see more money for the State wildlife and fisheries. I'll have to get a permit for my pirouge.

Could be worse: I have to decide whether to bet on being alive and able to hunt more than the five years it'll take to make a senior "lifetime" license a better deal.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 05, 2021 3:54 pm

I haven't been able to do a damn thing at what was our camp due to the rain and I haven't done much else but tend a soggy garden on the weekends. I got a call from a friend last week who got a porch pass due to his wife going to Houston so Blake and I made a weekend of it at his camp. We caught a good bit of crabs but had to cull many to get enough to feed the three of us.

Below is a shot from his elevated, screened back deck. The arrow is pointing to a feeder that his neighbor put out after the hurricanes to help feed the many wondering deer. As you can see the black bellies love it. It goes off every afternoon at 7:30 PM and they pour in making a racket. Just next door to the right, a couple of hundred yards or so is where they feed and trap for banding purposes. (Click on the pic to enlarge)
Inked20210501_194947_LI.jpg

He told me after only (24) birds (divers) from two blinds last year hunting every chance they got and all weekends he is dropping his lease of 30 years. That boat doc you see is where he leaves from in the morning with his surface drive to go to his blind.

Our camp site has had a new pole and meter for a month or more and we have a water outlet that I stubbed up. As soon as we hit a dry stretch of weather we have some leveling to do, digging for the sewer, water and electrical and installing limestone. My RV cover engineered design (18 W x 40 L x 14 H) was approved by the parish (FEMA) inspector and has been on order for over a month now. The manufacturers have been inundated with orders since the hurricane and can't keep up, but I'm okay with this delay due to not being able to prep. I'm also somewhat apprehensive of doing this again. I need to hurry and get it planted out there before I change my mind.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 am

Bummer to hear he's giving it up down there, must be some drastic changes he's seen.

Hope your project goes to plan!
Darren

Postby DComeaux » Mon May 10, 2021 3:31 pm

"wondering deer"? I'm sure deer wonder occasionally, but I meant wander.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Tue May 11, 2021 4:48 am

I'd not rule out their wondering while they wander.
Rick

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue May 11, 2021 7:12 am

I know the last two deer seasons have mostly left me wondering why the deer are not wandering more. Maybe they are wondering too much.
SpinnerMan

Postby DComeaux » Tue May 11, 2021 7:18 am

LOL! Comments.
DComeaux

Postby 5 stand » Tue May 11, 2021 7:21 am

lol
5 stand

Postby Rick » Wed May 26, 2021 4:31 am

Attended Pre-K graduation at South Cameron School yesterday, which was my first time south of Camron Prarie NWR since the storms, and had planned on making the loop past your camp after "just to see". But we ended up bringing the graduate home with us and needing a stop at their new place in Sweet Lake to pack a bag for her. Had seen enough, anyway.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Wed May 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Postby Rick » Wed May 26, 2021 3:31 am

Attended Pre-K graduation at South Cameron School yesterday, which was my first time south of Camron Prarie NWR since the storms, and had planned on making the loop past your camp after "just to see". But we ended up bringing the graduate home with us and needing a stop at their new place in Sweet Lake to pack a bag for her. Had seen enough, anyway.

Unrecognizable. Landmarks are gone. I'll miss T-Boys burgers in Creole.
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu May 27, 2021 4:41 am

Lot of us will miss T-boys, and think what a money machine it would be with all that new plant traffic. Hard to imagine 27 holding up to it long, and don't want to think of the mess its repair will create.

Was back in Creole for T-ball at what's left of their ball park yesterday evening, and can at least report the mottleds and black-bellies are still there. Our little first basegal was the first to start playing in the dirt, while a few others on the team at bat drifted off to explore the pasture, so that's not changed, either.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu May 27, 2021 2:07 pm

Rick wrote:Lot of us will miss T-boys, and think what a money machine it would be with all that new plant traffic. Hard to imagine 27 holding up to it long, and don't want to think of the mess its repair will create.

Was back in Creole for T-ball at what's left of their ball park yesterday evening, and can at least report the mottleds and black-bellies are still there. Our little first basegal was the first to start playing in the dirt, while a few others on the team at bat drifted off to explore the pasture, so that's not changed, either.

The little lumber/hardware yard was really convenient down there as well. It saved more than a few 3 hour round trips. Blake and I had that discussion about an eatery/store in T-boys spot and how they would probably do well with it, but would no doubt need to be elevated to meet the current code. I've heard tell that Kelly's mart is not coming back and all we have very near to us is B-O-O -T -H comma to da top S (Booth's grocery). The pecan Island store which has a little of everything is a 1 hour round trip and from there it's either Stelly's or the Five Oaks store in Forked and Cow Island, these are near the Curve Lounge. (Which I've noticed has it's customer base back now).
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Thu May 27, 2021 2:47 pm

Ah, the Curve Lounge...bar maid there once told me a great joke that turned out to be no joke. But this being a family friendly sight, guess I'll save those good times for another time.
Rick

Postby BGkirk » Thu May 27, 2021 4:34 pm

I bet dollar general will make an appearance before it’s all over... they’ve dotted the map every 5 miles it seems in calcasieu Beauregard Vernon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BGkirk

Postby Rick » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:39 pm

Heard Marceaux place sold for $4,000 an acre. You and Blake?
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:10 pm

Rick wrote:Heard Marceaux place sold for $4,000 an acre. You and Blake?

Nope. Not enough play money between the two of us to cover that, much less set it up. Close to 500K for purchase?
DComeaux

Postby Rick » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:30 am

Too close to it for me, too. And never mind what it would take to make it right - and still be a one-and-a-half blind farm.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:11 am

We can flood corn and have water everywhere to kill ducks, but we can't provide nesting "habitat"?

https://deltawaterfowl.org/north-dakota ... 7-percent/
DComeaux

PreviousNext

Return to DComeaux 2020-2021