Trailer bearings

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Trailer bearings

Postby Goldfish » Mon May 27, 2013 8:30 am

Since the rims are off and getting blasted and painted, figured there's no better time to pull the hubs and check the bearings. The races look good (no pitting or scoring), the rollers don't seem to have any wear, and there's no rust anywhere. Is there anything more I should be looking for or do the bearings sound good? Both sides spun without noise, however the passenger side definitely spun better than the drivers side. I spun them without the rims and tires on them so just the hub (aka not a lot of weight) but they spun for about a second on the drivers side and 2 on the passengers side. I have replaced the passengers side before. The grease that came out was goopy gray, and there was some build up on the outside of the inner seal but that's because I have bearing buddies that pushes the grease out the inside to fully lubricate the whole setup and to cake the inner side of the rim apparently.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Re: Trailer bearings

Postby Flightstopper » Mon May 27, 2013 3:44 pm

Bearings are pretty cheap and if you already have them off might as well. Do NOT use the old races if you do change them.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Willie » Wed May 29, 2013 7:48 pm

I also use the higher dollar synthetic grease...get it at napa. Wear rubber gloves, or you'll be washing your hands for an hour.
Willie

Postby jehler » Wed May 29, 2013 8:36 pm

Yeah, we'll I use submarine grease! No shit, stuffs amazing
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Willie » Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 pm

Where do you get it?
Willie

Postby jehler » Wed May 29, 2013 8:41 pm

Jgun is an engineer for a company making gear boxes, made something for the navy, they had to have he prototype packed with grease, tested and then cleaned out and shipped, I'm guessing he got a few scoops from the bottom of the barrel. Stuff sticks and don't let go
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Willie » Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 pm

Right on, you could probably pull the trailer to key west and back two or three times and be good.
Willie

Postby Goldfish » Thu May 30, 2013 5:47 pm

I stepped up and did them anyways. When I pounded the races out (who needs bearing/pully pullers?) They were actually worn a little. I think when I got the trailer a few years ago I only replaced the bearings and not the races because I couldn't get them out?

Anyways, new bearings, races, seals and mystik2 (?) high perf marine grease.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum