Transporting your layout boats

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Transporting your layout boats

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:16 am

I can't tell if he has some sort of a door there behind him or not. My boat does, if I spear a wave it just rolls off the sides if it does come over the front and the blind door, I'm dead. But I also don't make it a practice of letting the front down to spear a wave either. I see what you are saying but a little seamanship goes a long way also.
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:26 am

There ya go. Don't take your duck boat into the ocean new guy.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 am

His boat is only 16'. I would hope he wouldn't be trying to run in 3 footers. Shouldn't be much of an issue for him.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby jehler » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:29 am

NuffDaddy wrote:His boat is only 16'. I would hope he wouldn't be trying to run in 3 footers. Shouldn't be much of an issue for him.
lol jgun laughs at 3'ers in the 14
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:32 am

jehler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:His boat is only 16'. I would hope he wouldn't be trying to run in 3 footers. Shouldn't be much of an issue for him.
lol jgun laughs at 3'ers in the 14

Anything over 3 foot my 16 footer starts taking on some serious water. I suppose it would help if it was a deep-v though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:05 am

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:I can't tell if he has some sort of a door there behind him or not. My boat does, if I spear a wave it just rolls off the sides if it does come over the front and the blind door, I'm dead. But I also don't make it a practice of letting the front down to spear a wave either. I see what you are saying but a little seamanship goes a long way also.

True, I recognize that we hunt in some shit that a lot of people wouldn't.

With the weather being as unpredictable as it is here, I like to stack as many advantages in my favor as possible.

In the above picture with the layouts outside the boat, I'd think that regardless of the water/spray, that those would catch a lot of wind an act as a sail too, making it harder to control...I guess I'm just a fan of low profile and minimal amount of shit to get tangled on.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:55 am

Feelin' Fowl wrote:What kind of vehicle do you use?

I'd probably just throw it on a set of roof racks...

So roof racks isn't what we're looking for here?
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

Postby assateague » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:10 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague

Postby Tomkat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:12 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:I can't tell if he has some sort of a door there behind him or not. My boat does, if I spear a wave it just rolls off the sides if it does come over the front and the blind door, I'm dead. But I also don't make it a practice of letting the front down to spear a wave either. I see what you are saying but a little seamanship goes a long way also.

What is this wave thing you speak of?

No boating in the big waves for me.
Tomkat

Postby Duckboy84 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:16 pm

The wood racks seems easy and cheaper. Im going to tinker with it but im sure that is the way im going to go. Thanks fells yall have been a tremendous amount of help
Duckboy84

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Tomkat wrote:

I have been standing up in my boat and not able to see over the next wave while in the trough. Kind of makes your asshole slam shut if you know what I mean.

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:34 pm

DeadEye_Dan wrote:

True, I recognize that we hunt in some shit that a lot of people wouldn't.

With the weather being as unpredictable as it is here, I like to stack as many advantages in my favor as possible.

In the above picture with the layouts outside the boat, I'd think that regardless of the water/spray, that those would catch a lot of wind an act as a sail too, making it harder to control...I guess I'm just a fan of low profile and minimal amount of shit to get tangled on.

How rough do you hunt layouts in Dan?

Spoken to 3Leg
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:18 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

I have been standing up in my boat and not able to see over the next wave while in the trough. Kind of makes your asshole slam shut if you know what I mean.

I've been in waves like that once about 3 years ago. They were all rollers so we could keep most of the water out of the boat. I'd take 6 foot rollers over a 3 foot bay chop any day though.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:40 pm

MuddyWaterWarlock wrote:
Tomkat wrote:

We hunt those conditions 6-8 times a year.

What we will hunt largely depends on how deep we are hunting...in the open in 70-100 fow we'll hunt 3-5's without much hesitation. If we are shallow, 20 fow or less - 3's are about the limit.

Last year in RI, I had decoys tied 25' off the front of the layout and would loose sight of them between every wave...according to buoydata.com, & bluefinmarine.com, waves were 4-6 that day, NOAA forecast was 5-7...so most likely somewhere in that area is the limit for ocean bays, I wasn't uncomfortable but shooting in that is pretty futile. We had water coming over the side of the 25' Duckwater when we'd go sideways to the waves.
Don't have video from that day, but here is some from the year before.

http://youtu.be/-rJ5Lgd8L2M

Around the 10:00 mark were getting to the type of water that makes for some real sporty shooting.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:29 pm

That looks like a blast Dan. Ocean hunt is in my bucket list.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Pretty radical Dan. Looks like some challenging hunting, My hunting isn't that tough.

Spoken to 3Leg
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:51 pm

If the boat is under 16' we do like Dan's picture minus the boards. We just ratchet strap so it doesn't shift on the ride. If it is 18' or better and has the beamwidth, it is usually easier to just throw the layout in the boat lengthwise.
I know plenty of people that build uprights on the side to carry one sneak boat on each side. You just need two pieces of tubing and affix to the gunwale, on the inside of the vessel. Attached a u shaped tube to that and lay the sneak boat on it's side in the U. Foam over the tubing will help keep it from shifting when you strap it.
QH's Paw

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum