Mercury 65hp help

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Mercury 65hp help

Postby rickman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 am

I have just purchased a mercury 65hp outboard off the ebay, it is a three cylinder two stroke and i am guessing mid 60s to mid 70s age.
Living in Northumberland in the uk although there are dealers around none seem helpful when i discus this motor with them, so i was hoping some one on here could help me with it.
The outboard was purchased as seen a non runner had been stored in a brick garage wrapped in a diesel soaked sack and then fertiliser sacks roped around it, for wait for it 27 years :lol:
All i can tell you is it turns over but has no spark, but was assured it did have when stored, now i am no mechanic but can manage most jobs with a little thought and good advice. Are any on this board willing to try and help me get this old motor up and running.
Where do i start looking there is wiring there and i have connected all the wires up as best i can tell but some wiring as been replaced and i am not sure what does what. HELP! :?
Yours in trouble Ricky!
rickman

Re: Mercury 65hp help

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:05 am

Dumb question but, do you have a shop manual for this motor??
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am

Your going to start under the flywheel from the sounds of it, but, you will need to find the year and model so you can look up schematics and find what type of ignition it has. The range of age you listed it could be standard ignition with points and condensers or an electronic ignition
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby NuffDaddy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:21 am

I quit whenever I have an electrical problem. It just makes me want to punch a wall. Good luck I hope you get it running :thumbsup:

Sent from my badazz phone using a badazz app
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:06 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:I quit whenever I have an electrical problem. It just makes me want to punch a wall. Good luck I hope you get it running :thumbsup:

Old motors are pretty easy to work on.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Goldfish » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:25 pm

If it will cost you 3000 euros or pounds or whatever to call up Mercury with the SN to get the year and model, post it up here and we can try and give them a call. Either that or e-mail them directly about it and they should be able to tell you that info (try that first please). That should at least give you a starting point of where to look for wiring diagrams, etc. Maybe even repair manuals off from ebay or something.

If it has no spark tho, start at one end and work your way to the other. Do all 3 cylinders not spark? Does it have compression? You might as well take the carb(s?) off right now and get to cleaning and buy a rebuild kit for it (new gaskets, pins, etc). Those carbs are fairly simple to work on. One note though when taking it apart about the air/fuel screws. Count the number of turns it takes from where they are right now, to all the way tight. Write that down, then back them out and clean them. Then when you put them back in, screw it all the way in, and back it out the number of turns it took in the first step. That'll give you a very good base to start with for adjustments with it, if it'll be needed at all.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby rickman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 pm

U need the number , Now just where abouts on the motor is it likeley to be, there is a alloy plae in the hood says Lewis marine LTD NO 6783
That cant be a serial number can IT??? It is filthy dirty and i am going to jizer it down in daylight saturday its pitch black when i get home from work at the moment, so only get to work on stuff saturdays.
rickman

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:44 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:I quit whenever I have an electrical problem. It just makes me want to punch a wall. Good luck I hope you get it running :thumbsup:

Old motors are pretty easy to work on.

I know. But I still hate electrical.

NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MuddyWaterWarlock » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:49 pm

rickman wrote:U need the number , Now just where abouts on the motor is it likeley to be, there is a alloy plae in the hood says Lewis marine LTD NO 6783
That cant be a serial number can IT??? It is filthy dirty and i am going to jizer it down in daylight saturday its pitch black when i get home from work at the moment, so only get to work on stuff saturdays.

You don't own a flashlight to find the serial number. Iboats.com has wiring diagrams, parts info and techs on line that can help you. This is a good place to look for parts as well
http://www.marineengine.com/
Spoken to MuddyWaterWarlock
aunt betty wrote:This is personal. You are a douchebag.
Hey douche, when a seeds sprouts roots...what is it called?

Spoken to 3Leg
aunt betty wrote:You are one of them dipshits who wants to tell me how to build a clock cuz I asked for the correct time.
Fuck you dipshit.
MuddyWaterWarlock

Postby Bufflehead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 pm

model number and serial number should be on a little plate on the side of the mounting bracket
Bufflehead

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum