Duckmaster boat rebuild.

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: Duckmaster boats???

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:05 pm

assateague wrote:Yes, it will. I've seen some use it anyway, and cover it with Saran Wrap while the resin is curing, though, which seems to work.

So will it be as sturdy as a yeti cooler?
FlintRiverFowler

Postby capt1972 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:32 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
assateague wrote:Yes, it will. I've seen some use it anyway, and cover it with Saran Wrap while the resin is curing, though, which seems to work.

So will it be as sturdy as a yeti cooler?

and bear proof!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:46 am

I don't think you ever said it but I didn't catch it if you did. How big is this boat and how many do you think it will hunt?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:04 am

Eric Haynes wrote:I don't think you ever said it but I didn't catch it if you did. How big is this boat and how many do you think it will hunt?

It was advertised as a 1548... I got suspicious and measured it. It's actually a 1650.
I think it should hunt 3 people pretty comfortably.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:08 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:I don't think you ever said it but I didn't catch it if you did. How big is this boat and how many do you think it will hunt?

It was advertised as a 1548... I got suspicious and measured it. It's actually a 1650.

Yeah definitely. Should be able to take it quite a way out there to get on the divers.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Are you going to even bother with a blind, or just paint it? Or go the Jehler route? Seems like a big bastard to try and make a blind on.
assateague

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:18 am

FYI I strongly discourage going the jehler route, WAY to much work
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:22 am

assateague wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Are you going to even bother with a blind, or just paint it? Or go the Jehler route? Seems like a big bastard to try and make a blind on.

Assa..... Go back and look at the pics in my first post in this thread. :lol:
It has a hard sided blind made onto it.
I was discussing with a friend yesterday how I'm gona brush it up for season. Thinking probly the jehler barge route just attaching brush and tree limbs to it. But there's also Lake Seminole where it's mostly grass to hunt out of . There I would just need to cover the whole thing in grass mats to keep it hidden. I also have the snap on camo top coming idk if the guy has sent it yet or not. Or what pattern it is. Not going to waste the time and money painting her pretty though. The paint is completely dulled out and I like it like that. Looks like a log,
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Ajverret » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:22 am

My boat is a 1650 and I have a blind on it works perfect
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby jehler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:24 am

Flint what kind of birds are you looking to hunt with this rig?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:34 am

jehler wrote:Flint what kind of birds are you looking to hunt with this rig?

All kinds. One place is a pretty good sized lake with divers out on the deep end of it. I've semi successfully killed them from shore out there but I've been doin a little research on you northern guys ways. I'm planning on getting out in the middle with this boat though. Gona get some weird looks from the doucher duck hunters around here. :lol:
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:36 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
jehler wrote:Flint what kind of birds are you looking to hunt with this rig?

All kinds. One place is a pretty good sized lake with divers out on the deep end of it. I've semi successfully killed them from shore out there but I've been doin a little research on you northern guys ways. I'm planning on getting out in the middle with this boat though. Gona get some weird looks from the doucher duck hunters around here. :lol:

For divers I'd just paint that up to look like water and not bother with the brush.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 am

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
assateague wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I was discussing with a friend yesterday how I'm gona brush it up for season. Thinking probly the jehler barge route just attaching brush and tree limbs to it. But there's also Lake Seminole where it's mostly grass to hunt out of . There I would just need to cover the whole thing in grass mats to keep it hidden. I also have the snap on camo top coming idk if the guy has sent it yet or not. Or what pattern it is. Not going to waste the time and money painting her pretty though. The paint is completely dulled out and I like it like that. Looks like a log,

I know, but I was talking more about hanging Real Grass on the sides, or draping a shaggy blind or something like that on it.
assateague

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:03 am

assateague wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:
assateague wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I know, but I was talking more about hanging Real Grass on the sides, or draping a shaggy blind or something like that on it.

Depends on the scenery. I'd like have it be versatile to hunt in a lot of situations. So I'm considering just having a few different setups to drape over the sides. Like camo netting and branches for places around here when I'm in tight to shore and then making it look like a clump of grass when I go south with it.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:58 am

I thought I'd take some pics of it to give the guys following this a little better reference.
Here is what the inside of the boat looked like originally.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408293811.690304.jpg

The shelf you see on the starboard side of the boat will go back in. The port side is going to storage in case I decide I need it. They don't provide enough storage for the space they take up. The one that is staying will have my switch panel and a few cigarette lighter plugs for spotlights and cell phones to plug in to. It will likely be the side we hunt from so that it serves as a shelf to put extra shells, snacks, drinks, and most importantly somewhere to keep my smokes dry.
Here's a rear view, you can see I had to cut that part of the blind out. It was cracked and I'm also thinking about a transom build up to accommodate the long shaft motor some tard mounted on the short transom boat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408294120.763039.jpg

It also has what I guess you'd call a sump for the bilge pump to go. And I'm damn sure gettin one bc I hate having any amount of water inside the boat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408294256.417469.jpg

I need to cut the access hole bigger for the storage under the front deck so I can get the life vests in there easier.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408294367.823672.jpg

Here is the bow. The big V fin is where the Kevlar is layered up according to the builder.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408294460.698554.jpg

It also has a stepped chine all the way along it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408294495.006966.jpg

Here's another side shot for how it looks right now.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408294529.972311.jpg

And lastly here are the
Male ends of the snaps for the roof system. Still waiting for that to come through the mail though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408294578.636704.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:03 pm

Will there be a central bench for open gunning on each side? Those seats look super uncomfortable.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Duckdog » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:04 pm

If it were me, with that much open floor space, I'd opt for lawn chairs in the middle.
Duckdog

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Duckdog wrote:If it were me, with that much open floor space, I'd opt for lawn chairs in the middle.
lawn chairs are absolutely terrible to stand out of to shoot.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Taking out the port side bench/ "gun box". Leaving the other one for a table. This blind is not that high. We will probly just sit on milk crates or buckets in the boat when hunting.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Duckdog » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:25 pm

I could see where the "bag type" chairs would suck, but I wouldn't think the old school aluminum frame type, (or something similar) with more of a flat seat that doesn't sag your ass down to your ankles, would be bad.
Duckdog

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:31 pm

I see the order of the pics got tapafucked...
FlintRiverFowler

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:50 pm

Duckdog wrote:I could see where the "bag type" chairs would suck, but I wouldn't think the old school aluminum frame type, (or something similar) with more of a flat seat that doesn't sag your ass down to your ankles, would be bad.

Space in the boat and height of the blind are other concerns with chairs like that. Milk crates can double as storage when under way. I'll try to get my wife to take a pic of me sitting in the boat tonight so you can see how low the sides are on the blind.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Duckdog » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:00 pm

I gotta have a back to any chair I sit in, but my back is an absolute wreck.
If height is an issue, I'd look at regular old metal fold up chairs and then you can cut the legs to the height you want and slip the rubber cups right back on them. 3-4 of those folded flat won't take much room.
Duckdog

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Brush one side alittle grassier and one more brushy. Or paint one side grey and the other side more tan. Then put some sort of stubble straps on it and throw something on when you get to your spot.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:16 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Brush one side alittle grassier and one more brushy. Or paint one side grey and the other side more tan. Then put some sort of stubble straps on it and throw something on when you get to your spot.

That's a really good idea nuff. I really may go this route.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:25 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Brush one side alittle grassier and one more brushy. Or paint one side grey and the other side more tan. Then put some sort of stubble straps on it and throw something on when you get to your spot.

I know of a few boats that do that abound here. Cedar for open water and grass matts when they pull into cattails.

I'm sure you'll hear it from Assa for this one though. :-)
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Eric Haynes » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:32 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

I know of a few boats that do that abound here. Cedar for open water and grass matts when they pull into cattails.

Yup and anyone else
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Yup and anyone else

Is there something wrong with it?
It's like having two boats.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:40 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:
Eric Haynes wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:
FlintRiverFowler wrote:

Yup and anyone else

Is there something wrong with it?
It's like having two boats.

I'm sure there is in his opinion. But it works. Only downside is if the birds circle behind and you have no back cover in the marsh the boat will stick out a bit. Might flare em...might not.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Feelin' Fowl » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:44 pm

It'll be just fine if brushed well. Do it.
rebelp74 wrote:Yeah I have a yacht, suck it bitches!

Reinstate West Virginia!
Feelin' Fowl

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum