fiberglass question

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Re: fiberglass question

Postby millwright1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 pm

I just built a layout boat and used evercoat everfix resin right over foam.
millwright1

Postby capt1972 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:23 pm

millwright1 wrote:I just built a layout boat and used evercoat everfix resin right over foam.

Pics?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby flight control » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:12 am

capt1972 wrote:
millwright1 wrote:I just built a layout boat and used evercoat everfix resin right over foam.

Pics?

Yeah, I'd like to see pics too. Was it epoxy resin? What kind of foam? Did you leave the foam in the boat ?

Oh, and :welcome:
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby millwright1 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:58 pm

It is epoxy resin and the foam is home insulation.
millwright1

Postby MDI45 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:54 pm

flight control wrote:So I've been working on a top secret project with my brother and we've hit a wall. We built a layout mold out of foam because it was free and easy to shape. The plan was to wrap it in plastic and fiberglass over it one half at a time and stick them together. We've done it before on a kayak project, but the mold was wood with a good coat of wax to keep the glass from sticking.

So we finished shaping the foam yesterday and covered it in shrink wrap (it was a thick blue plastic used to wrap and protect boats.) When we started rolling on the resin, the plastic started warping and bubbling. There is no way we can use that stuff.

Does anyone know of a plastic sheet that could stand up to fiberglass resin? We tested that clear vapor barrier used in construction, it might work. Any ideas?

Hello,You could use aluminum foil.......it will take a little more time to cure but it will work like the milar
MDI45

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:19 pm

MDI45 wrote:
flight control wrote:So I've been working on a top secret project with my brother and we've hit a wall. We built a layout mold out of foam because it was free and easy to shape. The plan was to wrap it in plastic and fiberglass over it one half at a time and stick them together. We've done it before on a kayak project, but the mold was wood with a good coat of wax to keep the glass from sticking.

So we finished shaping the foam yesterday and covered it in shrink wrap (it was a thick blue plastic used to wrap and protect boats.) When we started rolling on the resin, the plastic started warping and bubbling. There is no way we can use that stuff.

Does anyone know of a plastic sheet that could stand up to fiberglass resin? We tested that clear vapor barrier used in construction, it might work. Any ideas?

Hello,You could use aluminum foil.......it will take a little more time to cure but it will work like the milar

Solid first post, you will go far here. I see a Moderator position in your future. :welcome:
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:

Solid first post, you will go far here. I see a Moderator position in your future. :welcome:

Someone feeling froggy tonight?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:23 pm

ribbit
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:33 pm

rebelp74 wrote:ribbit

Shoosh over there. Isn't it past your bed time?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby capt1972 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:22 am

3legged_lab wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:ribbit

Shoosh over there. Isn't it past your bed time?

:lol: :lol:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby MDI45 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:05 pm

Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:

I was trying to give the guy a fast solution to his problem.......sorry you didn't agree ..how's that for a second post...JACKASS :thumbsup:
MDI45

Postby Olly » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 pm

MDI45 wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:

I was trying to give the guy a fast solution to his problem.......sorry you didn't agree ..how's that for a second post...JACKASS :thumbsup:

He wasn't being sarcastic... It was a good first post.... And welcome to WFF.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby The Duck Hammer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:15 pm

MDI45 wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol:

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:25 pm

MDI45 wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:

Solid, but its sprinkled with a little butthurt.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby MDI45 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:23 pm

It was not my intention to start off on the wrong foot......I find it a little strange how some people just need to shoot there mouth off...when a new member joins a site..iam a commercial fishermen and boat builder by trade.....I probably have done more fiberglass jobs then he has hair on his head......thanks ....great site
MDI45

Postby AKPirate » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:42 pm

MDI45 wrote:It was not my intention to start off on the wrong foot......I find it a little strange how some people just need to shoot there mouth off...when a new member joins a site..iam a commercial fishermen and boat builder by trade.....I probably have done more fiberglass jobs then he has hair on his head......thanks ....great site

That's probably true, Tiller only knows how to till soil...
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 pm

MDI45 wrote:It was not my intention to start off on the wrong foot......I find it a little strange how some people just need to shoot there mouth off...when a new member joins a site..iam a commercial fishermen and boat builder by trade.....I probably have done more fiberglass jobs then he has hair on his head......thanks ....great site

Don't worry about it, its not a big deal. Tiler is a good guy and I'm sure he was just playing. As a commercial fishermen I'm sure you are used to rookie hazing, and I'd find it hard to believe that you can't take a joke. Stick around its a fun place to be.

And your complimentary new member gift basket should arrive shortly.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Tiler_J » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:05 am

MDI45 wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:

Excellent! :lol: Great second post! You can call me Jack though, we are pretty informal around here.
Joel Smithjensen
FIREBALL Prostaff
Tiler_J

Postby AKPirate » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:10 am

Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:
Tiler_J wrote:
MDI45 wrote:

Excellent! :lol: Great second post! You can call me Jack though, we are pretty informal around here.

Don't confuse me Joel, it's gonna be hard enough at the WCH.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Juice Box » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:00 pm

3legged_lab wrote:

Don't worry about it, its not a big deal. Tiler is a good guy and I'm sure he was just playing. As a commercial fishermen I'm sure you are used to rookie hazing, and I'd find it hard to believe that you can't take a joke. Stick around its a fun place to be.

I never got a new member gift :(

Merica!
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:15 pm

Juice Box wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Merica!

We gave it to boot and told him to give it to you.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:25 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Juice Box wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Merica!

Wasn't it an extra large tub of super crunchy peanut butter with the WFF logo on it?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:36 pm

AKPirate wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:
Juice Box wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Merica!

Wasn't it an extra large tub of super crunchy peanut butter with the WFF logo on it?

No, that's what we sent you. Mine was a new shotgun in a bouquet of hevishot.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby AKPirate » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:48 pm

And your complimentary new member gift basket should arrive shortly.[/quote]

Merica![/quote]
We gave it to boot and told him to give it to you.[/quote]

Wasn't it an extra large tub of super crunchy peanut butter with the WFF logo on it?[/quote]
No, that's what we sent you. Mine was a new shotgun in a bouquet of hevishot.[/quote]

Fuckers, I'll trade the PB for the shotgun. I only had a couple of fingers out of it.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby flight control » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:25 pm

MDI45 wrote:

Thanks man! And welcome to the site. What we ended up doing worked, but I've given up on plastic or covering the mold. We just bught two layouts tonight for 500$ that we can use until I can cover the mold with wood and do this thing justice.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Postby Juice Box » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:16 pm

3legged_lab wrote:
Juice Box wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:

Merica!

I'll stop by his house with an angry mob armed with pitch forks and torches demanding my WFF peanut butter!

Merica!
"Olly cop hater? No

Olly American? Yes"
Juice Box

Postby flight control » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:28 pm

You might want to use that peanut butter jar for decoration purposes only once boot has had his way with it.
Tell your mom I said hi.
flight control

Previous

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum