Bad week for airboat captain

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Bad week for airboat captain

Postby RonE » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Chet, a friend of mine had his distributor go out last Friday and I towed him in along with his fishing charter clients.
Chet i.jpg

After he replaced the distributor, a lifter went out so he pulled the heads to check the valves and lifter. Sent the heads to the machine shop and had the heads trued, a valve job and a couple of new valves.

Not back together for another charter this weekend, Chet borrowed a friends airboat and this Friday while coming home from fishing with clients, a rod went through the oil pan. Made a hole about 3 X 6" and had oil everywhere. I got to tow him to the dock again. One thing about airboats: If it hasn't happened to you, just wait, it will.
Chet.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Re: Bad week for airboat captain

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Trying to even out his sun tan?

What boat you run Ron?
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby RonE » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:05 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Trying to even out his sun tan?

What boat you run Ron?

I run an Uncle J mud boat (surface drive motor) I was with a friend in his 22' Ranger the first time. The second time I got Chet's bay boat and after it started just fine in the driveway, it wouldn't start in the water. A friend went with me in his 25' bay boat to get Chet.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby Flightstopper » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Shit man y'all run through some rigs! Knew the uncle j, thought that was your Bay boat as well.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:12 am

I can relate:
Rick

Postby AKPirate » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:14 am

Rick wrote:I can relate:

Was that pic a recent event Rick?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:58 am

This past July. Good news being that I wasn't driving. $3,500 just to get it out, $1,800 in props and $??? in the motor.

But folks here might be tickled to note that I thought of them while towing it out:

Just forgot to post it at the time.
Rick

Postby AKPirate » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:07 am

Rick wrote:This past July. Good news being that I wasn't driving. $3,500 just to get it out, $1,800 in props and $??? in the motor.

But folks here might be tickled to note that I thought of them while towing it out:

Just forgot to post it at the time.

Kick those feet up! :lol: How did it submerge?
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:23 am

Straight up operator error. Was running down a narrow steep walled boat run, ran up on the edge of it and slid back down aft quarter first. Had been all of a week since the last time he half filled the boat doing the same dang thing, but I guess the point wasn't made until it took more than a bilge pump to be back in business. Well, I hope the point's been made. Truth is, it's past time for him to turn the stick over to one of his sons, my man has put us in some pretty miserable pickles.
Rick

Postby AKPirate » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:38 am

Rick wrote:Straight up operator error. Was running down a narrow steep walled boat run, ran up on the edge of it and slid back down aft quarter first. Had been all of a week since the last time he half filled the boat doing the same dang thing, but I guess the point wasn't made until it took more than a bilge pump to be back in business. Well, I hope the point's been made. Truth is, it's past time for him to turn the stick over to one of his sons, my man has put us in some pretty miserable pickles.

Changing of the guard is always an interesting time.
YouTube Prostaffer
AKPirate
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:40 pm

Rick wrote:I can relate:

Is that your boss' handy work?
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:45 pm

That sucks. How would you even recover that? My guess would be boats with winches in the front to raise it enough to be able to pump out the hull.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby assateague » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:02 pm

Olly wrote:That sucks. How would you even recover that? My guess would be boats with winches in the front to raise it enough to be able to pump out the hull.

I have no idea either. But I'll say one thing- the dummy that did it would be tits deep in the mud behind it, pushing or something.
assateague

Postby Rick » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Hired a marsh buggy with a hoe to come out and lift it till the gunwales were above water, then pumped it out with a trash pump and towed it back with a mud boat. Just another day in paradise.
Rick

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum