Vintage Duck Boat Idenification Help

Duck boats and duck boat blinds!

Vintage Duck Boat Idenification Help

Postby BlackDogCamp » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:21 pm

The attached photo is of a older duck boat found in a barn in MN. I think I have narrowed the manufacturer down to 1) Peterson Brothers Boats or 2) Shell Lake Boats, both of Shell Lake WI. probably from mid 1950's. I would appreciate any help in confirming the manufacturer or even where to look for further info. I have pretty much Googled everything angle I could think of to come up with the Shell Lake options. Thanks in advance for any help!
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
BlackDogCamp

Re: Vintage Duck Boat Idenification Help

Postby BlackDogCamp » Thu May 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Update: Through the help of Washburn County Historical Society, Shell Lake, WI. and the website duckboats.net I have identified the boat as a Shell Lake Boat Company model Mallard Queen probably produced in the 1950's.
BlackDogCamp

Postby Rick » Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 am

Neat.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Sat May 04, 2019 1:31 pm

That is pretty neat
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Mon May 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Very cool how the floor supports alternate sides, and create a firm footing in the bottom.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby BlackDogCamp » Mon May 06, 2019 8:18 pm

Update #2: I had convinced myself that this was at least a post 1954 boat because it was fiberglassed (the 1954 Shell Lake catalog still listed the Mallard Queen as canvas covered). I assumed that Shell Lake had switched from canvas to fiberglass on post 1954 models because histories suggested that they switched to "fiberglass boats" in '56 or '57. After examining a damaged keel area I discovered another dead grass colored layer (Shell Lake sold Mallard Queen with a dead grass color) under the current green fiberglass covering. I thought maybe a recovered canvas boat from earlier? Then I saw the fabric under the dead grass color was fiberglass matt, not canvas. The green fiberglass was definitely done by a previous owner as I discovered the oarlocks had been moved inward (old holes under the gunwhales but not on top). So now I'm back to thinking my boat is still post 1954. Sure it could still be a pre 1955 canvas boat that had been fiberglassed twice but unlikely. I know the boat has been in a barn for at least 30-40 years. IF originally canvas (and it does not match the canvas Mallard Queens from the 1940's) that would mean it was used as canvas boat, fiberglassed and used again until it needed a 2nd fiberglass job, used again and is now in the rough shape it is. Just seems unlikely someone would be THAT rough on it. So if anyone knows if the Mallard Queen was produced with dead grass colored fiberglass after 1954 please let me know! Thanks!
BlackDogCamp

Return to Duck Boat & Mud Motor Forum