Looking forward

Re: Looking forward

Postby DComeaux » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:01 pm

Nice! We got sleet piled up on everything. Much better than freezing rain, though.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:00 pm

Prettiest powder I've ever seen in Louisiana. Couldn't even make a ball with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Postby Rick » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:11 pm

Our freezing rain and sleet turned to snow early that AM, and displaced hillbilly that I am, I couldn't resist making what was the first track around much of our little town - even the state highway by the house. Probably should have cut a few donuts, just to set a bad example for the kids...
Rick

Postby Ricky Spanish » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:48 am

Rick wrote:Our freezing rain and sleet turned to snow early that AM, and displaced hillbilly that I am, I couldn't resist making what was the first track around much of our little town - even the state highway by the house. Probably should have cut a few donuts, just to set a bad example for the kids...

We played..
That's George. Another retriever in training.
20210221_131205.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
Ricky Spanish

Postby Ericdc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:38 am

Ran into another guy who was familiar with the 2 blinds we leased last year and he also said those blinds have never been very productive, maybe 10-20 years ago they were a little better but not anymore, and that it's been a revolving door of folks leasing them out.

These revelations don't upset me, but they do provide closure and leave no doubt about my getting out.

Nothing really new to talk about at this point on the hunting front. I've got a lot of decoys that might have a year off this fall. Especially goose decoys.

One of my mallard hens at the pond managed to sustain her clutch of eggs through the week of winter weather and hatched last weekend. Amazing to think she was able to keep her eggs incubating through that.

Found a rookie nest this morning way to close to the waters edge where a younger hen is making an attempt. First big rain and it'll flood so I might fire up the incubator once she finishes laying and hatch em that way. We'll see. I knew she was laying because the drakes were giving her extra attention and this is not the case most of the time, they no doubt know when a hen is laying and try their best to spread their genetics.

My satsumas had some die back but the main parts of the 2 young trees I have are putting out new growth buds, so the heat lamps and tarps worked.

Will be planting potatoes this weekend, albeit a month later than normal.

Ericdc

Postby DComeaux » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:53 pm

Seeing the price of lumber today someone is raking it in.
DComeaux

Postby BGkirk » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:37 pm

DComeaux wrote:Seeing the price of lumber today someone is raking it in.
It sure isn’t the timber landowners

BGkirk

Postby Rick » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:02 am

Eric's gotta pay for all those out of state/country trips next year. That Bobby Guy fellow ain't cheap.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:25 am

Eric's job is to keep loggers on the right tracts hauling the right stuff to the right mill.

The lumber mills made a mint last year and I assume lumber retail did as well, which is a good thing because it's raw materials grown, harvested, hauled, milled, and finished all in the US by US workers.

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:57 am

Ericdc wrote:Eric's job is to keep loggers on the right tracts hauling the right stuff to the right mill.

The lumber mills made a mint last year and I assume lumber retail did as well, which is a good thing because it's raw materials grown, harvested, hauled, milled, and finished all in the US by US workers.

:thumbsup:
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Mon May 24, 2021 6:41 pm

It's a weird feeling this spring, not knowing whether my would've been lease is in rice or beans. Since 09 I've had a pit somewhere in northeast la.

Not a whole lot to do this spring and summer, other than get my 4 wheeler back in public lane hunting shape. (Fix brakes and a few other things)

So far I'm pretty sure there'll be a early season trip to Kansas and hopefully a few trips to north Texas sprinkled into hunting marsh with friends and family, maybe a trip or 2 to the old public grounds I used to frequent, and a trip or 2 to avoyelles parish I hope.

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Tue May 25, 2021 6:40 am

All you have to do is call and show up. :thumbsup:
Ducaholic

Postby BGkirk » Wed May 26, 2021 4:19 pm

Ericdc wrote:It's a weird feeling this spring, not knowing whether my would've been lease is in rice or beans. Since 09 I've had a pit somewhere in northeast la.

Not a whole lot to do this spring and summer, other than get my 4 wheeler back in public lane hunting shape. (Fix brakes and a few other things)

So far I'm pretty sure there'll be a early season trip to Kansas and hopefully a few trips to north Texas sprinkled into hunting marsh with friends and family, maybe a trip or 2 to the old public grounds I used to frequent, and a trip or 2 to avoyelles parish I hope.

You could add doing some spring pirogue training on your list

BGkirk

Postby Ericdc » Wed May 26, 2021 5:42 pm

Feel like I did well walking in and out with covid setting in.

Ericdc

Previous

Return to Ericdc 2020-2021