Preseason

Preseason

Postby Ericdc » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:43 pm

........ not a whole lot to do this summer not being in a lease but this is what's on the books so far

Kansas public land October 29 - November 4

December 28-30 3 day trip to northeast Texas with a group of guys from church

Hope to fill in with trips to

Darren's place on the coast and maybe Bunkie

Perry in avoyelles parish

Corey's vast marsh holdings

public woods in northeast Louisiana with friends up here.

New contact I've made who has invited me to hunt with him at his lease near Arkansas line west of where my place was at Jones.

I'm mobile, so if you think we can kill em or feed me good... I'll show up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ericdc

Re: Preseason

Postby Darren » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:08 am

Ericdc wrote:
I'm mobile, so if you think we can kill em or feed me good... I'll show up

Hell, I want in on that approach all around too!

Coast probably an easy one to do, hope we've got a few grays around again. Bunkie place isn't mine, but sometimes buddy is looking for another gun to join.
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Sounds good Darren, most interested in trying the southeast coastal marsh, haven't hunted remotely close to that area. Furthest east I've been on the coast is white lake.

In a little over a month I'll be watching for teal at the pond when those slight late august cool snaps start north of here.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:49 pm

She's persistent, this is probably the last of more than 2 nesting attempts.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:25 am

Gotta feel for her. Though maybe not enough to varmint proof the spot.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:44 am

She's in neighbors well kept back yard, what usually happens is the crows find it when she's laying the clutch but she must have covered them better this go round to get to incubation stage.

Ericdc

Preseason

Postby Ericdc » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:02 pm

Made a little anniversary trip through Hot Springs, then Springfield to see Johnny Morris's "wonder's of wildlife" museum and aquarium which was very nice, then on to Kansas City.

Stopped by Roger's Sporting Goods to get the scoop on ammo availability and pricing.

They had very little steel shot in stock. Hardly any 12 gauge.

They expect the Federal 3" blue box shells to be $140-$150 a case when they do come available.

Target shells are also pretty high now, with federal top gun target loads priced at $95 a case.

I didn't realize that Federal ammo parent company Vista had acquired hevi-shot and Remington.

Roger's is still a great place to visit if ever in that area. They have a huge fishing department, that's how they got their start.

As far as barbecue, I haven't found any better barbecue than Memphis so far with Fort Worth a close 2nd, but I haven't been to Austin yet either. Kansas City style is a little too sweet for me, although still a very good meal was had at Joe's Kansas City Barbecue in the old gas station location.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:19 pm

Made me hungry.
Rick

Postby DComeaux » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:38 pm

I like a sweet sauce. That looks good.
DComeaux

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:13 am

I could get down with that BBQ for sure, thanks for the ammo update
Darren

Postby Ericdc » Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Looking through some old pictures on my old computer. January 4 2013 at mudhole Image

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:35 am

Couldn't have dated it, but knew it wasn't yesterday. (My logs prior to 2014 are still locked in a crashed hard drive.) Always nice to be reminded of the coyote.

And you guys, of course.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Rick wrote:Couldn't have dated it, but knew it wasn't yesterday. (My logs prior to 2014 are still locked in a crashed hard drive.) Always nice to be reminded of the coyote.

And you guys, of course.
Yea, over the last few years I've pretty much convinced my wife that our next pooch will be a CBR. I'd love to get one now to partner with our GSD Amos and have 2 big dogs laying around the house, but we aren't ready to do that just yet.

Ericdc

Postby Rick » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:50 pm

Should you go that route, be very careful about the breeding. There are crazy people out there thinking mean ones are cool.
Rick

Postby Ericdc » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:14 am

I've got a lot of investigation and located some good breeders i believe, including Robert Falgoust who now lives about 20 minutes from where I grew up in south Beauregard parish, just haven't had a chance to visit him yet at his new place.

Ericdc

Postby Ducaholic » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:51 am

Good Day :duck:
Ducaholic

Postby Ericdc » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:13 pm

Located some doves in the last week or so, bringing Tricia with me Saturday morning for a little daylight shoot before the heat cranks up. Will have taller timber to our east to extend the morning shade a few hours longer.

Ericdc

Postby Duck Engr » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:29 pm

Sounds like a nice start to the weekend. Alabama’s starts Saturday, but doesn’t start till noon (for some unknown reason), so I’ll likely delay my opener to Sunday morning (64 degree low, didn’t really have to twist my arm).
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Fri Sep 03, 2021 3:37 am

Duck Engr wrote:Alabama’s starts Saturday, but doesn’t start till noon (for some unknown reason)...

We used to have a noon opener for dove's first weekend, and the official reason given at a LDWF press conference I attended was so landowner farmers could handle their morning chores and still get in on the festivities. Thus keeping them happy and more willing to share their land with other dove hunters.
Rick

Postby Duck Engr » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:15 am

Interesting explanation Rick. I wonder if Alabama would stick with that too.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:28 am

Rick wrote:
Duck Engr wrote:Alabama’s starts Saturday, but doesn’t start till noon (for some unknown reason)...

We used to have a noon opener for dove's first weekend, and the official reason given at a LDWF press conference I attended was so landowner farmers could handle their morning chores and still get in on the festivities. Thus keeping them happy and more willing to share their land with other dove hunters.

Growing up here, never knew that. Been many years since I chased a dove, but have fond memories of a few years at a farm outside my hometown with a big ol family and friend to-do complete with all the cooking and all. The noon opener was the standard and was an all-day affair.
Darren

Postby Deltaman » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:47 am

Noon opener standard here too, but reverts to 1/2 hour before daylight after the opener. I've done a couple of daylight hunts, but did not enjoy as much as an afternoon hunt. Gets over too soon, and lots birds flying too low to shoot. On our hunts, the crowd starts showing up between 9:00-10;00 a.m.to get the grills hot, or fry pots ready, depending on the menu. Lot of locals around the farm we hunt come more for the cookout gathering than the hunt, and there is usually a flat-screen hung up in the shade of the pole barn for football. Good Times!!!!!
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Ericdc » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 am

In the piney woods, we are hunting them in goatweed filled clearcuts. Find a perch tree and be waiting on them at daylight. Get back to the house before lunch and stay in the AC rest of the day watching ball. Image

Ericdc

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:05 am

Ericdc wrote:In the piney woods, we are hunting them in goatweed filled clearcuts. Find a perch tree and be waiting on them at daylight. Get back to the house before lunch and stay in the AC rest of the day watching ball.

That'll work! Good luck
Darren

Postby Ducaholic » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:15 am

Darren wrote:
Ericdc wrote:In the piney woods, we are hunting them in goatweed filled clearcuts. Find a perch tree and be waiting on them at daylight. Get back to the house before lunch and stay in the AC rest of the day watching ball.

That'll work! Good luck

Yep
Ducaholic

Postby DComeaux » Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:53 pm

Was south of Winnfield last week (Atlanta) and saw a cutover with a bunch of dove hanging around on the power lines. Would be a nice place to sit on opening morning.
DComeaux

Postby Ericdc » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:11 pm

DComeaux wrote:Was south of Winnfield last week (Atlanta) and saw a cutover with a bunch of dove hanging around on the power lines. Would be a nice place to sit on opening morning.
They are hunting it next weekend. I got an invite but I'll be teal hunting. We'll be south of there near verda.

Ericdc

Postby Ericdc » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:39 pm

Date: September 4 dove season opener

Time: sunrise to 10:00 am

Location: clearcut I managed and got permission to hunt near Verda, LA in grant parish.

Cloud Cover: clear

Wind Direction and Velocity: none to light and variable

Temperature: muggy to hot. Glad we were close to our limit at 9:30 when it started getting tough.

Barometer:

Moon phase: saw it on drive down, sliver.

Special Notes: Tricia shot several birds today, and had a good time.

Waterfowl Activity: they flew in waves starting about 7:30

Waterfowl Responsiveness: we were on 1 of 3 X's where they wanted to be.

Hunters: Tricia and I

Guns: browning silver micro 20 gauge and beretta A400 Xtreme plus

Malfunctions:

Dog(s): too hot for Amos

Special Equipment: nothing

Kudos: Lot more birds than I saw when I scouted last week.

curses: none

Birds By Species: 30 mourning doves

Photo Ops:
Our spot

Saw these near where we hunted while checking a logging job. Will make jelly once weather cools off next month with elderly couple from church with these and a few more bags in freezer. Bumper crop muscadine year up here.

Ericdc

Postby Duck Engr » Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:21 pm

Wow what a day!! Nice start to the season
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Rick » Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Win, win.
Rick

Next