Found this funny.

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

Found this funny.

Postby The Duck Hammer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:41 pm

Call makers that make calls like this are hilarious. I wonder how many people show off their badass expensive calls only to find out that it has a 5 dollar sound to it.

http://paleoriver.com/shopping
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Re: Found this funny.

Postby NuffDaddy » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:17 pm

$450 for a duck call???!?!?
Is that insert Poly??
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:09 pm

Pshha. Like some idiot would pay big money for a call to merely set it on a shelf.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 am

3legged_lab wrote:Pshha. Like some idiot would pay big money for a call to merely set it on a shelf.
lol
For real
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:08 am

The Duck Hammer wrote:I wonder how many people show off their badass expensive calls only to find out that it has a 5 dollar sound to it.

You can say what you want about folks using poly Echo inserts in their "custom" calls, but your idea of "5 dollar sound" and mine are miles apart. I don't own an Echo but sure wouldn't knock that insert, beats crap out of most custom made toneboads to my ear.
Rick

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:34 pm

Rick wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:I wonder how many people show off their badass expensive calls only to find out that it has a 5 dollar sound to it.

You can say what you want about folks using poly Echo inserts in their "custom" calls, but your idea of "5 dollar sound" and mine are miles apart. I don't own an Echo but sure wouldn't knock that insert, beats crap out of most custom made toneboads to my ear.

Not knocking the insert, have major respect for them. I have owned two of their poly calls and 3 Echos in the past. What I don't understand is the people that stuff an insert they bought for 5 bucks into a barrel that they made and charge the same or more than what somebody who spent the time to design their own call from scratch. I have even seen calls made with poly Echo inserts that people made barrels for them out of preban ivory and sold them for $500+. Why put that much money into just the barrel of a call when what truly matters about the call is nothing more than cheap plastic?
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:04 pm

Right, it really is silly what people will spend big money on. But hey, if someone is dumb enough to spend it - someone else ought to be smart enough to take it.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:13 pm

This thread reminds me of the new rnt call
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:15 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Why put that much money into just the barrel of a call when what truly matters about the call is nothing more than cheap plastic?

As suggested above, for the same reasons people spend money on calls that sit on the shelf, they can and want to. (Most of the serious call collectors I know are doing well not to run ducks off, much less really call them.)
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Rick wrote:

Me2. What makes it bad? The Material? The shape of the toneboard? The reed cheap?
There isnt much you can to to the tried and true shape they all use.
For instance what is the difference between a tone board on an Echo and an RnT. Dont describe the sound but details like flatter, wider, shorter, etc. Can you even tell the difference by looking?
Not buying $400 call to get a echo insert in a deer antler.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:13 pm

rebelp74 wrote:This thread reminds me of the new rnt call

Bring all your RnT's when we hunt. Would like to try the cutdown if you got one.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:00 pm

aunt betty wrote:
Rick wrote:

Me2. What makes it bad? The Material? The shape of the toneboard? The reed cheap?

I said that there is nothing wrong with the Echo inserts and that I liked the ones I have used. I have a problem with the custom call makers who only make barrels. ABSOLUTELY no beef with the insert whatsoever.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby duckdreamer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:59 am

You guys ever seen a quack call by Jim Dester? Or Brian Meyers calls or Brian Byers, or any of the call makers that carve their calls. Jim's calls have gone for 2000 to 2500. The rest sell theirs for between 500 and 1000 ea. My wife is carving my calls now and I plan to enter them in the NWTF contest and the ccca next year. Those horn calls are beautiful. I'm glad you put the web up. I think that may be my Christmas present this year. The problem with echo call inserts in a custom call is that takes away from the custom part. I entered a couple of calls in this yrs reelfoot contest and was told you cant enter a echo or Flaherty or any other insert in the contest because it isn't your work. Jigs are from $110 to $350 and to make your own sound is what its all about. Like one of you said, a barrel is pretty to look at but the toneboard sound is what makes it a call. By the way about putting calls on the shelf, Chick Majors wife Sophie made 25 signed calls and I got one. A neighbor used it one day and lost it. They are selling for 650 to 800 now. Wish it was still on the shelf. Just the two cents worth from a new member.
duckdreamer

Postby IndianaMallard64 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:31 am

I'm pretty sure a buck that scores a 180 or a 100 will sound the exact same..... Lame haha
IndianaMallard64

Postby duckdreamer » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 pm

I do apologize. I didn't notice the echo insert before. Your right, they're not worth it with a echo insert. If they had a horn insert I would be likely to buy one. If any of you guys have any horn big enough to make a call or just portion of a call I will be glad to talk to you about it. I have some caribou and moose but not whitetail or muley.
duckdreamer

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Just clicked on that website...I've never spent $100 on a duck call let alone $450. I still manage to kill ducks and geese.
goodkarmarising

Postby RonE » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 pm

duckdreamer wrote:I do apologize. I didn't notice the echo insert before. Your right, they're not worth it with a echo insert. If they had a horn insert I would be likely to buy one. If any of you guys have any horn big enough to make a call or just portion of a call I will be glad to talk to you about it. I have some caribou and moose but not whitetail or muley.

Here is some horn.....How much will you give me?
LH ii.jpg
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Return to Duck Call Forum