single reed vs double reed

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

single reed vs double reed

Postby hudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:37 pm

just had a guy tell me that a double reed can do everything a single reed can do as far as loudness and rasp and bark.he said it was a tuning issue.Went as far as to tell me that he could grab twenty different calls off the shelf and there would be no difference because they all would work,ole boy called me a fashion duck hunter for wanting a acrylic single reed cutdown duck call.whats yalls thoughts on this?
hudson

Re: single reed vs double reed

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:39 pm

While he may get some volume and rasp, depending on tuning, the versatility will differ drastically. Fuck double reeds.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:46 pm

Guys a dumbass. I have never been able to get double reeds to do what single a reed can.
Last edited by The Duck Hammer on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby hudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:46 pm

ive never heard a double reed as loud,raspy or bark like my rnt mondo.i got it two years ago for those reasons and it absolutely will brake a ducks neck.ive got my old black haydel double reeds and can call at a duck and nothing will happen,ill grab my mondo and blow at that same duck and hell cut flips all the way to the blind.still use my haydels but the ducks just don't listen to it like they used to.i cant wait to try my bsod this year.i just laughed at the guy and said you blow what you want and ill blow what I want.personally im glad nobody uses single reed cutdowns down here,gives me an edge
hudson

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby hudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:56 pm

rebelp74 wrote:

does sound good
hudson

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:57 pm

It's all in the tuning with volume and rasp. However a double reed will never as versatile as a single reed.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby hudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:03 pm

down here nobody blows single reeds or anything that's loud and raspy,most blow haydels and ive never heard one that sounds like my mondo or my bsod.its something the ducks don't hear.i tune my haydels and so does everybody I know and weve never been able to get one that loud and that raspy,but there wedge style calls but maybe im just not doin something right but I now that mondo works and I know that bsod will too
hudson

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Lares are wedge style calls and they are raspy. I never have been a fan of haydels calls. All the double reeds I have used were softer mellow calls. Not harsh or raspy. BSOD sounded good.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Haydels are la. style calls. La styles are, a tone board and wedge that inserted into the barrel not using a cork. J frames use a cork and are called ark style calls. Metal reeds are called reelfoot. The reason you can't get a haydel to do what the mondo or bsod will is b/c they're cutdown calls. A cutdown is a j-frame that has the toneboard modified. The modifying of the tone board is what makes it loud deep and raspy. Even if you cutdown a haydels a highly doubt you will get that type of tone b/c the tone channel is too shallow. Some calls are capable of it other aren't. Comparing a cutdown or high end j-frame to a haydels is literally comparing apples to beef. They're both duck calls but that's the only similarity.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby hudson » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 pm

that's what I was getting at.guy couldn't understand why I wanted a cutdown single reed that was super loud and raspy when he can do that with a haydels or other wedge style call.but like I said im glad they don't know what the cutdowns will do because I do and its stupid how the ducks react.and I like the way it sounds and so do the ducks,so that ole boy can kiss my ass
Last edited by hudson on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hudson

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:16 pm

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 pm

You guys and your duck calls.
assateague

Postby NuffDaddy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:42 pm

Do you guys really call that hard down there? A few lone hen quacks and a chuckle or 2 usually does it for me.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:47 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:Lares are wedge style calls and they are raspy. I never have been a fan of haydels calls. All the double reeds I have used were softer mellow calls. Not harsh or raspy. BSOD sounded good.

I've got 2 old Iverson's that are pretty raspy too. Maybe not quite as much as the Lares that I heard though.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:Do you guys really call that hard down there? A few lone hen quacks and a chuckle or 2 usually does it for me.

You have dumb birds, we do not.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:55 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
NuffDaddy wrote:Do you guys really call that hard down there? A few lone hen quacks and a chuckle or 2 usually does it for me.

You have dumb birds, we do not.

Its our fault, we educate them.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:48 am

It's a good thing all those ducks don't know I'm using a Haydels, amazing I kill anything.

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:47 am

Nothing at all wrong with a Haydel's duck call, not my choice, but they get the job done. Just there is no comparison to a cutdown. They are totally different in sound, use and style.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:32 am

Lots of stuff here for a call freak such as I to rattle on about.

Re: doubles vs singles in general, the second reed in a double acts as a governor that makes it easier to run without some unwanted tones. But...the second reed in a double acts as a governor that makes it harder or impossible to get some tones many callers want.

Re: cutdown difference, I'm thinking much can be attributed to the thicker reed in most. I can get more volume (read: "reach") from my Mondo than anything else I've tried, and the crisp "bark" can help evoke reflex responses from birds. Also, in my case, the calls I use more often are tuned to sound quite different than a cutdown, so the cutdown's radically new sound can sometimes reactivate working birds that staled on what I was using.

Re: Haydels, it's a safe bet the venerable DR-85 and its hard-bodied twin the Redleg are still helping kill more ducks than all other calls combined in our part of the waterfowling world.

Re: the fall-off in the effectiveness of hudson's Haydel, confidence is HUGE in really calling ducks (as opposed to just not running them off). The difference could very well be his diminished attitude toward the Haydel after converting to the cutdowns. Given a hypothetical competent operator equally confident in their efficiency, I suspect the difference in the number of birds killed over any of a great many calls of similar volume but differing tones would be much smaller than for those of us who have developed tonal prejudices.
Rick

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:34 am

Nerds
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:50 am

When I lived in the Ohio Valley, I was one hot spit caller. We didn't get to see a lot of birds, but they came when I called.

Moving to the relative waterfowling paradise of Southwest Louisiana was a humbling experience, because most of the jaw-dropping number of birds I got to call to blew right on by my best stuff. Mind you, there were still enough foolhardy ones to usually make for fine hunting, but all of the rejection in between birds that came was hard to swallow.

That said, one of the great blessings of our location is the general availability of abundant birds to experiment on and learn from. By copping the attitude that there's a way to call every bird within hearing and setting out to find it over what's become a lot of seasons, my percentages have gone way the hey up. But I'm still not there...yet.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:52 am

jehler wrote:Nerds

Perhaps the Indas will let you do the calling on your next pass this way. Be a great chance to make up for last season's shooting demonstration...
Rick

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:04 am

As a beginner who was clueless, I bought double reeds. I thought that you blow on a duck call.
YOU DONT. You hum, grunt, groan, and bark.
Once I had that epiphany...I started sounding good on any call.
You will get there. You dont need to spend 200+ dollars on a fancy call. Master the ones you already have!!!!!!!!!
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby Tomkat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:51 pm

Jarbo does turn a lot of ducks with his hadles call. He and I met Rod Haydell and had him to my DR 85. Rod is a very nice guy.

I Heard some fellas using a Lares call this winter that were absolutely fantastic.

I am working towards using a single reed call. Much like my feelings on other people's shotguns I really don't care what anyone uses as long as it is effective.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
Tomkat

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:18 pm

Ha! What end am I suppose to blow in?
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Location: you stay classy Sutter County... Im Ron Burgandy???

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:

The one with the brown eye
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:24 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

Is that what I'm suppose to do? How dot you get past the smell? Vicks under the nose?
AKPirate wrote:The sins of Boot and Gaddy are causing the Cali drought and knowing they have no limits to their depravity... :mrgreen:
Bootlipkiller

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:31 pm

Bootlipkiller wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
Bootlipkiller wrote:

Is that what I'm suppose to do? How dot you get past the smell? Vicks under the nose?

You get more quack out of it if you just deal with it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Bootlipkiller » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:32 pm

:lol:
Bootlipkiller

Next

Return to Duck Call Forum