pure meat vs. xlt

What duck call to get? Who makes their own calls? Ask here!

Moderator: Throbbin Rods

pure meat vs. xlt

Postby mtessar » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:33 pm

I was looking to buy a new echo call and was wondering which one you guys like better. which one is easier to blow / whines easier and the pros/cons of the two(if there are any) thanks
mtessar

Re: pure meat vs. xlt

Postby RonE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:41 pm

Welcome to WFF

I personally don't like either one, I prefer Iverson calls.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end."
RonE

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:23 pm

Pure meat is whinier. IMO too much hold. The xlt is whiney too but not near as much as the pure meat. The xlt would be my choice of the 2 and is one of the better calls made.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:40 pm

I've only ran the Prime Meat out of the two and wasn't impressed. I've heard great things about the XLT all around.

Welcome to WFF.

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby mtessar » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:48 pm

thanks for the help guys. I've heard similar from other forums
mtessar

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:56 pm

If you're looking for a good hunting/meat style call, I'd highly recommend RM Calls gold digger. Stump(the owner) is a great guy and makes some beautiful, great sounding calls.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:59 pm

rebelp74 wrote:If you're looking for a good hunting/meat style call, I'd highly recommend RM Calls gold digger. Stump(the owner) is a great guy and makes some beautiful, great sounding calls.

X2. Hey you want to sell yours yet? You seem to be getting rid of everything else....

Sent from my Vox Mortem
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:03 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:If you're looking for a good hunting/meat style call, I'd highly recommend RM Calls gold digger. Stump(the owner) is a great guy and makes some beautiful, great sounding calls.

X2. Hey you want to sell yours yet? You seem to be getting rid of everything else....

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Nope, the customs I had done aren't going anywhere. Just taking some of the calls I won't use or don't really want in my collection and trying some different things. Slowly switching gears.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:07 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Nope, the customs I had done aren't going anywhere. Just taking some of the calls I won't use or don't really want in my collection and trying some different things. Slowly switching gears.

I thought that Watkins was a custom. You got STUMP working on anything now?

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:10 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Sent from my Vox Mortem

That watkins I picked up in trade, not really my thing I just wanted to see how the micarta ran. Nothing in the works at the moment. My next few will most likely be mahogany or green hedge.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:15 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Sent from my Vox Mortem

Sent from my Vox Mortem

That watkins I picked up in trade, not really my thing I just wanted to see how the micarta ran. Nothing in the works at the moment. My next few will most likely be mahogany or green hedge.

Nice. I saw a DLC made from crosscut green hedge that looked amazing. I don't know why but I'm not reel keen on wooden hunting calls. Mainly just scared I'd fuck one up, but your NOS was badass.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:21 pm

You talking about the one Zim was selling? That call looked bad ass. One of the coolest looking blanks I've seen. I love wooden calls. I've messed up a few but Rick turned me on to Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner, works much better than the combo oil I was using from what I can tell so far. I hate ca finished wood calls.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:26 pm

rebelp74 wrote:You talking about the one Zim was selling? That call looked bad ass. One of the coolest looking blanks I've seen. I love wooden calls. I've messed up a few but Rick turned me on to Howard's Butcher Block Conditioner, works much better than the combo oil I was using from what I can tell so far. I hate ca finished wood calls.

Yep that was the one. First call I've ever seen with the heart in it too.

Sent from my Vox Mortem

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:27 pm

I wish I could find some green hedge blanks somewhere.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:34 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I wish I could find some green hedge blanks somewhere.

Did you see the Yellow Cedar Burl blanks on the Fuge? Those damn things cost almost as much as a whole call does.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby Westie25 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 pm

I thought I had some a few weeks back. But dude didn't know how much he wanted to sell them for and I made an offer and never heard a thing back. Guess I was too low.
Westie25

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:00 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

Did you see the Yellow Cedar Burl blanks on the Fuge? Those damn things cost almost as much as a whole call does.

Yea and they were selling too. Pretty damn shocking. I don't think they were even stabilized yet.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:07 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Yea and they were selling too. Pretty damn shocking. I don't think they were even stabilized yet.

They were stabilized and ready to go.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:09 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Ok, that makes much more sense thinking about the prices. YCB is some rare/expensive shit though. I would love to have reelfoot from it.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:12 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Ok, that makes much more sense thinking about the prices. YCB is some rare/expensive shit though. I would love to have reelfoot from it.

That'd take a lot of damn wood. I'd like to get one of the highly done up reelfoots. They are some of the prettiest calls out there when the maker goes all out.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Scott Simmons makes some great looking ones. Go through the pics of the traditionalists.
http://www.simmonscalls.com/DUCK-CALLS
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:19 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Scott Simmons makes some great looking ones. Go through the pics of the traditionalists.

Saw a really nice looking coco one in there. The naturalist call looks like a Buddy Duke rip off though.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:21 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:Scott Simmons makes some great looking ones. Go through the pics of the traditionalists.

Saw a really nice looking coco one in there. The naturalist call looks like a Buddy Duke rip off though.

I was told that he learned from Buddy Duke. The checkered red cedar burl reelfoot looks awesome.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

I was told that he learned from Buddy Duke. The checkered red cedar burl reelfoot looks awesome.

Sounds like a Matt Pierce situation. None the less, I have heard nothing but good about his calls.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Matt Pierce?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 pm

rebelp74 wrote:Matt Pierce?

May not be spelled correctly. Give it a google search. He makes EXACT copies of Paul Kingyons and sells them. Said that Paul taught him everything but I have heard that the Kingyons deny all of that.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:34 pm

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:34 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:

May not be spelled correctly. Give it a google search. He makes EXACT copies of Paul Kingyons and sells them. Said that Paul taught him everything but I have heard that the Kingyons deny all of that.

Gotcha, I know what you're talking about now. Seen some of them on ebay. Scott is supposed to be legit. I didn't here it from him but from Zim, Bart and a couple of others.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:39 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Gotcha, I know what you're talking about now. Seen some of them on ebay. Scott is supposed to be legit. I didn't here it from him but from Zim, Bart and a couple of others.

Zim was one of the ones I've seen talking about them and I'd take everything Steve says to heart when it comes to calls.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:41 pm

The Duck Hammer wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
The Duck Hammer wrote:

Zim was one of the ones I've seen talking about them and I'd take everything Steve says to heart when it comes to calls.

No doubt he knows his shit. Talking about them as in Pierce/Kingyon or Simmons/Duke?
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Next

Return to Duck Call Forum