Do it right and slow down!

Do it right and slow down!

Postby R. Chapman » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:36 pm

If you're getting frustrated about your handloads because they won't group like the used to, slow down and do it correctly! Two days ago, I was going to go up to the range, but didn't have any shells loaded, so I had to sit down and load them quickly if I was going to be able to fire 15 shells before daylight. I was going too quick and when I went to put the 15 in a bullet box, I dropped three that land right on the soft point of the bullet and screwed up the tips. I just got absolutely pissed. I went up to the range and shot them anyways. I also found put that I put 2 grains over my rifles accuracy load, therefore not getting a group worth a flying shit.I tried again the next day with the accuracy load, and but seated the bullet .004" to deep. Even though it was "acceptable" hunting accuracy, 2" groups at 100 yards don't set my pants on fire. So the moral of this rather long winded story is to slow down, and really take your time to make sure things are right and try to eliminate as many possible errors that could happen as possible. You'll enjoy reloading at another level when you do it correctly with attention. Plus go back to the basics sometimes if you're getting too worried about having all the perfect equipment you need. You can produce godly accurate loads with just basic stuff if you do it correctly.

Rex
assateague wrote:Sometimes the quickest way to put out a fire is with an explosion.
R. Chapman

Return to Reloading & Shotshell Forum