Latest Purchase Thread

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Re: Latest Purchase Thread

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:Ordered a quantum PT energy 6:3:1 baitcaster with a quantum smoke 6"6 medium fast. Plan on picking up some fly gear when I get home and can stop up at Cabelas to see which I like more.

Warning: Assa dont look at the prices of these items. I dont want you to stroke out.

How well do those quantams hold up for you? I've had bad luck out of the newer models, I tried a smoke and a exo. The smoke was ok but the gears didn't last. The exo was a joke, the gears burnt up and it felt like plastic.

One word. Shimano. I fish with reels older than me quite often.
I refuse to play any sport that considers water a "hazard".
TNAL45

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:10 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:Ordered a quantum PT energy 6:3:1 baitcaster with a quantum smoke 6"6 medium fast. Plan on picking up some fly gear when I get home and can stop up at Cabelas to see which I like more.

Warning: Assa dont look at the prices of these items. I dont want you to stroke out.

How well do those quantams hold up for you? I've had bad luck out of the newer models, I tried a smoke and a exo. The smoke was ok but the gears didn't last. The exo was a joke, the gears burnt up and it felt like plastic.

I use shimano spinning reels and toriums for salt water. I use revos for baitcasters for freshwater. I have a few curados but I don't like the weak drag, I fish a lot of grass.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:11 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

I like quantum and they have held up for me I love my smoke in a burner. I also love abu their STX is a badass reel probably wont trade that one off. TNAL I love shimano but their quality has went into the shitter lately they feel to plastic to me but it is very hard to beat their CS. Dont get me wrong I love my curado and my convergence rod combo but I cant be waiting for a new reel to show up if it breaks, I fish for Murray State and am usually pretty hard on my reels to say the least. Older shimano's well I can throw those against the barn put it back on the rod and cast it like nothing happened.
assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:AT, will you get that first pintail mounted?

I'll more than likely just mount it right there in the field.
quacknstack6

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Wait, wait, wait- you have a fishing scholarship?
assateague

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:14 pm

assateague wrote:Wait, wait, wait- you have a fishing scholarship?

No just signed up for the fishing team, I havent had a scholarship other than baseball.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby assateague » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Wait, wait, wait- there's a college fishing team?
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:17 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:

No just signed up for the fishing team, I havent had a scholarship other than baseball.

Dude you're on a college fishing team? That's badass! Question, why are using a 6'6" rod if you fish tournaments? Those are for the weekend warriors!
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Anyone else use Big Bear Rods? Those things are the shizz.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:19 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

Dude you're on a college fishing team? That's badass! Question, why are using a 6'6" rod if you fish tournaments? Those are for the weekend warriors!

I have always enjoyed the feel of them, I have a couple 6ft but the way I fish the 6'6 suits my needs better. The 6'6 with a 6:3:1 for spinnerbaits and crankbaits is just plain dirty of the bass.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

I have always enjoyed the feel of them, I have a couple 6ft but the way I fish the 6'6 suits my needs better. The 6'6 with a 6:3:1 for spinnerbaits and crankbaits is just plain dirty of the bass.

Try a 6'3" or 4" or a 6'8", you may like the feel of them a little better. The 6'8" gives a little more distance and moe leverage. The 6'3'' or 4'' will give you more accuracy.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

Try a 6'3" or 4" or a 6'8", you may like the feel of them a little better. The 6'8" gives a little more distance and moe leverage. The 6'3'' or 4'' will give you more accuracy.

I will do it, been looking at a couple G-Loomis but I cant justify dropping almost 400 on a rod.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:27 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:I will do it, been looking at a couple G-Loomis but I cant justify dropping almost 400 on a rod.

Check out big bear. They are light weight, sensitive, strong, comfortable and have a lifetime warranty.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:29 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

I like quantum and they have held up for me I love my smoke in a burner. I also love abu their STX is a badass reel probably wont trade that one off. TNAL I love shimano but their quality has went into the shitter lately they feel to plastic to me but it is very hard to beat their CS. Dont get me wrong I love my curado and my convergence rod combo but I cant be waiting for a new reel to show up if it breaks, I fish for Murray State and am usually pretty hard on my reels to say the least. Older shimano's well I can throw those against the barn put it back on the rod and cast it like nothing happened.

Most of mine are older, but my newer one I ordered from Japan. They sell them as Scorpions over there. Supposedly they make a better reel for the Japs because it's dishonorable to sell a better product to the Americans. I've had quite a few people comment on the range of that reel. It will toss some lures.
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:

Most of mine are older, but my newer one I ordered from Japan. They sell them as Scorpions over there. Supposedly they make a better reel for the Japs because it's dishonorable to sell a better product to the Americans. I've had quite a few people comment on the range of that reel. It will toss some lures.

what is the site?
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:31 pm

I got a megabass spinning reel from japan, it is the rolls royce of spinning reels.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:33 pm

rebelp74 wrote:I got a megabass spinning reel from japan, it is the rolls royce of spinning reels.

The only time I use a spinning reel is when I am using extremely lightweight lures. I grew up using casting reels, what I feel the most comfortable with but it is a whole lot of dammit if you nest one up.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:35 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:[quote="quacknstack6"]Ordered a quantum PT energy 6:3:1 baitcaster with a quantum smoke 6"6 medium fast. Plan on picking up some fly gear when I get home and can stop up at Cabelas to see which I like more.

what is the site?[/quote]
I forget. Ordered it in 05 or 06. Apparently they don't make it any more, but it's American equivalent is the Chronarch MG
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 pm

TNAL45 wrote:I forget. Ordered it in 05 or 06. Apparently they don't make it any more, but it's American equivalent is the Chronarch MG

Does it have a plastic feel or is it built pretty sturdy, never messed with the Chronarch.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:37 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:I got a megabass spinning reel from japan, it is the rolls royce of spinning reels.

The only time I use a spinning reel is when I am using extremely lightweight lures. I grew up using casting reels, what I feel the most comfortable with but it is a whole lot of dammit if you nest one up.

I use em for finesse techniques. I also have 2 revo mgx and a mgxtreme that I have on lightweight rods for finesse. I'm with you, I use a baitcaster probably 80% of the time.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:I forget. Ordered it in 05 or 06. Apparently they don't make it any more, but it's American equivalent is the Chronarch MG

Does it have a plastic feel or is it built pretty sturdy, never messed with the Chronarch.

Magnesium body, plastic cover over the cast control weights. It was about a 400 dollar reel, but I took advantage of a then strong dollar against the yen. And the chronarchs are awesome as well. Dad has a couple.
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:43 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

I use em for finesse techniques. I also have 2 revo mgx and a mgxtreme that I have on lightweight rods for finesse. I'm with you, I use a baitcaster probably 80% of the time.

Once you learn to use a baitcaster, it is almost dummy proof and then there is no looking back. Like I tell younger guys, look in your wallet. All that money that is in there, well kiss it goodbye once you get into this game. Shit is expensive and you dont skimp on these things. They laugh, then about 6 months later they say I was right.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:43 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

Magnesium body, plastic cover over the cast control weights. It was about a 400 dollar reel, but I took advantage of a then strong dollar against the yen. And the chronarchs are awesome as well. Dad has a couple.

Fuck for 200 more I could get the DC with a computer in it and cast into the wind with no backlash.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:46 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

Fuck for 200 more I could get the DC with a computer in it and cast into the wind with no backlash.

They came out with that one a year or two after I bought mine. I trust my thumb more than any computer chip though. I run my reels very loose.
TNAL45

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:47 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

They came out with that one a year or two after I bought mine. I trust my thumb more than any computer chip though. I run my reels very loose.

I am the exact same way, all my friends do the drop test with the bait. I turn mine all the way down and say fuck it, I know before I ever put bait on if it will cast correctly or not.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:48 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
TNAL45 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

This^^^, they are a headache.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Just for reference, I still fish a Shimano that was bought new in 1984 or 1985. It is one of their first magnetic reels. I learned on one that was bought in the late 70s or early 80s.
TNAL45

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 pm

quacknstack6 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

Once you learn to use a baitcaster, it is almost dummy proof and then there is no looking back. Like I tell younger guys, look in your wallet. All that money that is in there, well kiss it goodbye once you get into this game. Shit is expensive and you dont skimp on these things. They laugh, then about 6 months later they say I was right.

Yep, you get what you pay for. Atleast in most cases. Between duck/goose hunting and fishing I have spent a small fortune.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:51 pm

TNAL45 wrote:Just for reference, I still fish a Shimano that was bought new in 1984 or 1985. It is one of their first magnetic reels. I learned on one that was bought in the late 70s or early 80s.

I dont have anything that old, I have an old abu 4500 for striper fishing. Probably early 90's late 80's, that thing has caught more striper than I care to count.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

Postby huntfishnv » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

Bulldog0156 wrote:**** it, with all this talk of fly fishing I think I'm gonna head to the Mo' for a Friday afternoon slay-fest! :fishing:

Even though you think my opinion sucks, let me know how you do! Maybe gonna get out and swing some streamers this weekend.
huntfishnv

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:53 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

Yep, you get what you pay for. Atleast in most cases. Between duck/goose hunting and fishing I have spent a small fortune.

You gotta pay to play.
assateague wrote:

quacknstack6

PreviousNext

Return to The Blind