Green Beans

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Green Beans

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:28 pm

Not much for the first picking, about 7 quarts. But my set up today is far more conducive than the pickles.
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
assateague

Re: Green Beans

Postby gangrig25 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

String beans are about done here.
Hows the crocker fishing going?
gangrig25

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm

Haven't even been out yet. Was intending to go this past weekend, both days, but it was just too damn hot to sit out in that little boat. Haven't been hearing of people really tearing them up yet, so didn't feel like heat stroking myself for just a couple fish. If they were here like they will be later, that'd be a different story! :lol: Heard from someone they're down in Hampton Roads pretty good, so it shouldn't be long.
assateague

Postby gangrig25 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:45 pm

they've been smoking'em for around a month now. :thumbsup:
gangrig25

Green Beans

Postby centex » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Saw this on fb first. The set up made
me laugh
centex

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:30 pm

I miss my Grandpas green beans. Throw in a sauce pan with 2 strips of bacon and a couple slices worth of chopped up onions. mmm mmm
QH's Paw

Postby gangrig25 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:29 pm

fat back is the nly way ta go.
gangrig25

Postby vincentpa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:18 pm

How many individual plants yielded 7 quarts?

What is the dimensions of your garden?
vincentpa

Green Beans

Postby assateague » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:56 pm

My garden's about 50 feet by 70 feet, but is mostly Lima beans and tomatoes. (little bit of everything, though- sweet corn, okra, jalapeños, anaheims, cayennes, sweet banana, Thai, watermelons, zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes, beets, basil (lemon and licorice), cilantro, dill, oregano, rosemary, red and yellow onions. Garlic, broccoli, and cabbage have come and gone already) I had 5 "tripods" of pole beans, but only 3 came up, so I don't know the actual number of plants. Maybe 36? But they'll produce pretty much until the first frost.

And gangrig's right- fatback is the way to go for pole beans. Lima beans get a chicken thigh.
assateague

Postby jarbo03 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:17 pm

QH's Paw wrote:I miss my Grandpas green beans. Throw in a sauce pan with 2 strips of bacon and a couple slices worth of chopped up onions. mmm mmm

When I see green beans this is the first thing that comes to mind. Granny could make some mean ass beans.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby vincentpa » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 am

assateague wrote:My garden's about 50 feet by 70 feet, but is mostly Lima beans and tomatoes. (little bit of everything, though- sweet corn, okra, jalapeños, anaheims, cayennes, sweet banana, Thai, watermelons, zucchini, cucumbers, potatoes, beets, basil (lemon and licorice), cilantro, dill, oregano, rosemary, red and yellow onions. Garlic, broccoli, and cabbage have come and gone already) I had 5 "tripods" of pole beans, but only 3 came up, so I don't know the actual number of plants. Maybe 36? But they'll produce pretty much until the first frost.

And gangrig's right- fatback is the way to go for pole beans. Lima beans get a chicken thigh.

For green beans try:

1. Steam green beans. Saute chopped onions in olive oil and butter and nutmeg. Add cooked green beans and saute a few minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste.

2. Steam green beans. Saute garlic in olive oil but do not brown. Crush up two anchovy fillets and sautee for a minute. Add green beans and sautee for another minute or two.
vincentpa

Green Beans

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:20 am

Finished planting beans for my BIL last night...he's got about 280 acres this year.
Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Tomkat » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:19 am

Green beans have been the best crop I have had this year. We are in a very bad drought, have had 10 days in a row over 100 degrees
Tomkat

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:25 am

I'm jealous that I can't grow a garden. Townhouse association would frown upon that one. The side I'm on has a runoff pond next to it. The people on the other end make gardens on the state land I've seen (power lines run there), but it wouldn't be very easy for me to setup something there.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:24 pm

Tomkat wrote:Green beans have been the best crop I have had this year. We are in a very bad drought, have had 10 days in a row over 100 degrees

Mine are hurting. I suspect it has to do with me forgetting where I was planting, though. When I spread the horse manure, I try to lay off my "bean locations". Don't know if it's old wives tale or not, but manure on a bean row will hurt them, since they manufacture quite a bit of nitrogen on their own. Don't know if too much in the soil will retard their growth or not, but it seems to be the case for me. I didn't manure where the lima beans were going, and those things look fantastic, nice deep dark green plants, with a huge amount of flowers on each. Same weather, basically the same plant, both "pest free", but the results couldn't be more different. Shouldn't be too long now.
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 pm

assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:Green beans have been the best crop I have had this year. We are in a very bad drought, have had 10 days in a row over 100 degrees

Mine are hurting. I suspect it has to do with me forgetting where I was planting, though. When I spread the horse manure, I try to lay off my "bean locations". Don't know if it's old wives tale or not, but manure on a bean row will hurt them, since they manufacture quite a bit of nitrogen on their own. Don't know if too much in the soil will retard their growth or not, but it seems to be the case for me. I didn't manure where the lima beans were going, and those things look fantastic, nice deep dark green plants, with a huge amount of flowers on each. Same weather, basically the same plant, both "pest free", but the results couldn't be more different. Shouldn't be too long now.

We put 4 ton/acre of chicken manure on organic bush beans if that tells you anything.
duckkillerclyde

Green Beans

Postby assateague » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:58 pm

What tonnage per acre for corn?
assateague

Postby duckkillerclyde » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:58 pm

assateague wrote:What tonnage per acre for corn?

same
duckkillerclyde

Return to The Blind