Mobile River Hunt 1/12

Place for general and off topic Waterfowl talk.

Mobile River Hunt 1/12

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:37 am

Date: Sunday 1/12/19

Time: Up @ 2:15, launched @ 3:45, and blinded out by 5:15

Cloud Cover: Plenty-O, as a front was moving thru around daylight, with a long black line of clouds rolling thru

Wind Direction and Velocity: NW 15+

Temperature: Upper 40's early, and getting chillier with the wind all morning.

Moon phase: ? but with could cover, a very dark run upriver

Special Notes: Had scouted Saturday and found the wad of birds (all Gadwalls), we have been hunting, feeding quietly, as they have been the past 4 weeks. Glassed and left without spooking, and cut a bundle of cane on the way home for the morrow.

Waterfowl Activity: Sunday morning..........saw 3 birds.......in total

Waterfowl Responsiveness: 2 of them came to die

Hunters: Stepson (Dustin) and myself

Guns: SBE II and M2

Malfunctions: None

Dog(s): N/A

Special Equipment: Had my FAF's, but no need to use

Curses: Couple of asshats with a bright light bar pulled up not long after we had arrived, and started setting up not 50 yds away.....oh hell no! Had an educational conversation with 3 young guns, determined to hunt there. Tried to be nice to no avail. I had to ease over there and assure them that if they didn't move, they would be toting an ass-whipping home with them, that we had gotten there first, and it was a matter of respect. The little bastards moved another 50 yds and set up on the bank, directly behind us....wtf? I loudly allowed that if a single pellet came anywhere near us, that I would be on them like stink on shit. Throughout the morning, they never fired their gun, and we disassemble our blind, picked up decoys, and left at 10:00. Their hunting the afternoon before totally screwed the morning hunt. The aggravating part is our hunting curfew ends at 1:00, and they had mentioned hunting there until dark Sat. afternoon. Wish we had enough enforcement in our area, but the too few GW's are busy chasing deer hunters. Also wish we would've gone ahead and hunted Saturday.......oh well, hindsight.........always 20/20

Kudos:

Birds By Species: 2 Gadwalls

Photo Ops: none

Lagniappe:
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Re: Mobile River Hunt 1/12

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:12 am

Now THAT, is aggravating. I hate being done in by lawbreakers. I will say this, I just thought I had seen outlaws in my part of the state before I moved down to the coast. Those guys take it to a whole new level of outlaw. Business should be booming for the game wardens down there.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby Deltaman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:33 am

DE, I have yet to see a game warden this year. A few years ago, we had an awesome local GW, by the name of Keith Gauldin.
He crept up on me several times, and we always got a good laugh out of it, but he busted the shet out of a lot of law breakers, and kept them to a minimum. He has since been promoted and is now Chief of his department in Montgomery, and his replacement seems to have his focus on the more popular deer hunting. Know those guys are spread thin, but sure wish we had more enforcement in our area.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure, that just ain't so"
Mark Twain
Deltaman

Postby Darren » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Deltaman wrote:
Special Notes: Had scouted Saturday and found the wad of birds (all Gadwalls), we have been hunting, feeding quietly, as they have been the past 4 weeks. Glassed and left without spooking, and cut a bundle of cane on the way home for the morrow.

There's nothing like that experience right there for public hunting (or if you happened to have enough private land to scout, I guess haha). Very sorry to hear of how it turned out. Will be trying my old public grounds this weekend for a change of scene and hope to see a few Friday scouting.
Darren

Postby Duck Engr » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:30 pm

Deltaman wrote:He crept up on me several times,

I haven’t had a game warden walk up on me in the woods in 10+ years. Now it’s getting checked at boat ramps and trucks.
Duck Engr
WFF Administrator

Postby LloydRam » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:13 am

It's somewhat dangerous for them to walk around the woods anyway, isn't it?
LloydRam

Return to The Blind