New Guys Tips and Questions

New to duck hunting? Ask anything you want here, there are no stupid questions in here!

Postby mikecatt13 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:15 pm

Used to duck hunt with my Dad and Grandpa "Papa" since I was old enough to do so, due to water levels where we used to go the tradition was put on hold for a few years. I have been really big into big game for years and long story short, I'm adding waterfowl back to my hunting obsession. I just bought like 10 books on the subject, most of which I discovered through searching various forums but I would also like to ask some newbie questions here.

1) As far as decoys go, what are basic suggestions for starting a spread. I don't mind spending some money (rather spend slightly more and do it once and do it right than save a few bucks and not really be worth it), so is it better to buy quality dekes initially and build up the quantity as I go? I have noticed that there are some subtle differences on coloring etc between brands, is it better to stick with one or get a few brands of the same species? I am in Michigan, will be hunting marshes, corn/bean fields, ponds, and some more open water for divers possibly. What kind of quantities of each species (and sex?) should I try to start with? (I have read that its good to mix in a few other species with your mallards, or even split the spread. Obviously hunting divers requires other species too)

2) Although I'm somewhat scared to ask, what are some brand recommendations for decoys? Any specific opinions on the following brands: Hardcore, Dakota, Avian-X, Cabelas Northern Flight, other suggestions good or bad. When it comes to ducks is flocking important (seems to be the norm with the geese)?

3) While I am aware of all the laws regarding public/private waters and also how difficult it is to get to the bottom of these and follow them (I will sort this out locally), Where in the world to you start to get waterfowl grounds? Whether it be selection of public ground/waters (and learning to navigate it) or securing permissions for private land does anyone have any tips here?

I'm sure all of these questions have been asked and I will continue to search and research I thought I might be good for me and other newbies if they were all in one place. Of course, any good beginner advice that I haven't asked about is welcomed and appreciated! Thanks in advance!
mikecatt13

Re: New Guys Tips and Questions

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:38 pm

What part of michigan are you from?

As far as decoys, I like the flambeau stormfronts. They aren't the best looking decoys out there, but they have surpassed my expectations on durability. They come in 2 different sizes for mallards. I like to mix them up so all the decoys don't look the same. I hunt that saginaw bay and use about 4doz mallards and a half dozen of teal, blacks, and pintails. As well as a dozen geese. I also have 7doz divers I use on open water. I seldom use all the puddle duck, diver, and goose decoys at the same time.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby mikecatt13 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:45 pm

SE Michigan. Used to hunt Saginaw Bay every year since I was young, just seemed to get out of waterfowl and go the big game route for some years. Got the itch to get back at it, will ideally like to hunt locally but as I get more experienced I imagine I will be making trips back up to the Bay
mikecatt13

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:54 pm

mikecatt13 wrote:SE Michigan. Used to hunt Saginaw Bay every year since I was young, just seemed to get out of waterfowl and go the big game route for some years. Got the itch to get back at it, will ideally like to hunt locally but as I get more experienced I imagine I will be making trips back up to the Bay

If you ever want to make a trip up, let me know. We can try and get together for a hunt and I can kinda show you some of the stuff I've picked up on in my short waterfowl career.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby mikecatt13 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:07 pm

That would be great, much appreciated. Its too bad I didn't decide to take this all up at least in the summer or beginning of the season instead of the very end! On the other hand, it give more time to drive my fiancé and dog crazy learning to blow a duck call before I go out and try to shoot some :)
mikecatt13

Postby NuffDaddy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:11 pm

mikecatt13 wrote:That would be great, much appreciated. Its too bad I didn't decide to take this all up at least in the summer or beginning of the season instead of the very end! On the other hand, it give more time to drive my fiancé and dog crazy learning to blow a duck call before I go out and try to shoot some :)

Haha. Now you have a whole winter to get some info and a whole spring and summer to do some scouting and get a rig and gear together.
NuffDaddy
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby mikecatt13 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:17 pm

Agreed. It's habit to count down to hunting season starting the day after it closes. The fiancé pretty much does the same so it doesn't help to suppress the hunting obsession in the house.
mikecatt13

Postby Tomkat » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:39 pm

NuffDaddy wrote:What part of michigan are you from?

As far as decoys, I like the flambeau stormfronts. They aren't the best looking decoys out there, but they have surpassed my expectations on durability. They come in 2 different sizes for mallards.

I run these decoys, they are not bad. Their deep keel is best suited for big water.

For more of the puddle duck hunting I do here, HotBuys work good as their keel is smaller and it takes a lot less wind/wave to make movement on the spread.
Tomkat

Return to Greenhorn Forum