Rain, rain, crappy rain,what rain gear for calling

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Rain, rain, crappy rain,what rain gear for calling

Postby Duplex Lover » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:04 am

I Hate rain.
What do you guys use . I have water proof stuff but it's for -20*. Just is no good for warmer weather. I have Gore-Tex rain coat and pants but they just aren't right. The dampness still gets in and is very uncomfortable, and the MUD seams to get every were on them. I have vinyl top and bottoms, there blue , and you get just as wet on the in side as you would in the rain. My Kenetrek boot are my winter ones , there water proof but hot and heavy when wet. I spray the sole with silicon to help release the mud, only works for a short time. I would want something Kinda light in a prairie camo but still heave enough for use in the brush, and not feel like being rapped in a baggie. And as with any thing I have it needs to be affordable fixed income retired kind a thing... SOOOO. what do you use?
I talked with my boy, he is a wild fire fighter, and he said that his crew all carry "Frogg Toggs" in there packs. There very light and keep you dry inside and out. They tend to wear out in one season but $60 can get you top and bottoms. A recommendation like that tells me I'm getting a set of camo Frogg Toggs ! Got some pants in AP camo . I'd hate to see the monster that wears a large... I got Med and there 8" to long, good thing the wife is a fabulous seamstress. Anyway there very light but a bit "crinkly" sounding. Only $19 found a jacket too but there $45 I'll have to get it next week. NOW All I need is some time to try'm out. What's on your back ?
:thumbsup:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: Rain, rain, crappy rain,what rain gear for calling

Postby jarbo03 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:22 am

I haven't owned any rain gear in years, not much of an issue around here. :( My last was an uninsulated gore tex zip up, worked good.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:24 am

Frog toggs are awesome. I used to have some for work when I worked on the crew at a golf course in Florida. Rained every damn afternoon. They lasted the entire summer. Only reason I chunked them is because they smelled like ass. Raining one minute and back to 97 degrees and sunny the next minute.
FlintRiverFowler

Postby Goldfish » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:32 pm

I've got gore Tex for summer, and gander's tech2o camo for hunting. Both work good for me
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby rebelp74 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:18 pm

FlintRiverFowler wrote:Frog toggs are awesome. I used to have some for work when I worked on the crew at a golf course in Florida. Rained every damn afternoon. They lasted the entire summer. Only reason I chunked them is because they smelled like ass. Raining one minute and back to 97 degrees and sunny the next minute.

x2, lightweight and cheap. You'll definitely get your moneys worth.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby one2many » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:45 pm

im a fair weather hunter. i dont do rain. however my mutts dont mind it so i just stay in the truck and let them go kill coyotes
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby firstflight » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:49 am

For when it's hot nothing I just get wet.
when it cooler out just some packable Gore tex.
When it gets cold I have under armour coldgear infrared skysweeper jacket and bibs .
firstflight

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum