A little coyote video

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

A little coyote video

Postby Duckdog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:43 pm

This is a little clip a buddy of mine put together. It's kind of a compilation of a 4 state hunting trip he took.
He started his trip here in Kansas, so I'm the gunner on 3 or 4 of these.
Anyway, thought some of ya'all might like to see it.

If for some reason the embed doesn't work, here's the link.
http://youtu.be/BmGbCJf7-1U
Duckdog

Re: A little coyote video

Postby one2many » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:26 pm

cool video

whats the breeding on the decoy dog?
No helicopter looking for a murder
Two in the mornin got the Fatburger
Even saw the lights of the Goodyear Blimp
And it read, "Jeffys a pimp"
one2many

Postby Duckdog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:31 pm

There are a few different dogs, but they're mostly curs or cur mix.
Duckdog

Postby one2many » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:37 pm

Duckdog wrote:There are a few different dogs, but they're mostly curs or cur mix.

out of what stock? whats your buddies name.if they been around decoying long i may know them or the bloodlines. i decoy, as well run hounds. PM me if you wish to keep names out of the thread
one2many

Postby Duckdog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:34 pm

one2many wrote:
Duckdog wrote:There are a few different dogs, but they're mostly curs or cur mix.

out of what stock? whats your buddies name.if they been around decoying long i may know them or the bloodlines. i decoy, as well run hounds. PM me if you wish to keep names out of the thread

My buddy's name is Jeff, and that dark brindle is Spot. If you don't know them from that (he has videos all over the place, and a DVD too), I don't think his last name is gonna help ya. ;)

I do know Spot originally came from Duane Freilano in Eastern Oregon. She is a Kemmer Cur/Catahoula/Walker cross.
I know her the best, and really couldn't tell you much about the others. She is one hell of a good dog! I'd venture to guess she's had over 500 coyotes shot over her. That's just a guess, but I bet I'm not very far off.

I don't know the show, but they're going to be on "Relentless Pursuit" in an upcoming episode. It oughta be really good!
Oh, and along those same lines, if you watch the FOXPRO show at all, they filmed an upcoming episode with Cal Taylor and his dogs. Cal has said that he's running a couple of the best dogs he's ever had, and depending on how they edit it, it should be some excellent footage.

I'm recovering from a shoulder surgery right now, but I'm hoping by next month I'll be ready to get my young Draht out with that Spot dog. I know two other guys who use or have used DD's for decoy work so I'm hoping he works out.
Jeff thinks he will, but only time and coyotes will tell that story.

Throw up some pics of your dogs! Let's see 'em!!

Forgot this...
This is a link to a little website that my buddy and a couple other guys put together. Not a lot of history on their dogs, but something to look at anyway.
http://www.koolaidprostaff.com/home.html
Duckdog

Postby one2many » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Duckdog wrote:
one2many wrote:

My buddy's name is Jeff, and that dark brindle is Spot. If you don't know them from that (he has videos all over the place, and a DVD too), I don't think his last name is gonna help ya. ;)

I do know Spot originally came from Duane Freilano in Eastern Oregon. She is a Kemmer Cur/Catahoula/Walker cross.
I know her the best, and really couldn't tell you much about the others. She is one hell of a good dog! I'd venture to guess she's had over 500 coyotes shot over her. That's just a guess, but I bet I'm not very far off.

I don't know the show, but they're going to be on "Relentless Pursuit" in an upcoming episode. It oughta be really good!
Oh, and along those same lines, if you watch the FOXPRO show at all, they filmed an upcoming episode with Cal Taylor and his dogs. Cal has said that he's running a couple of the best dogs he's ever had, and depending on how they edit it, it should be some excellent footage.

I'm recovering from a shoulder surgery right now, but I'm hoping by next month I'll be ready to get my young Draht out with that Spot dog. I know two other guys who use or have used DD's for decoy work so I'm hoping he works out.
Jeff thinks he will, but only time and coyotes will tell that story.

Throw up some pics of your dogs! Let's see 'em!!

Forgot this...
This is a link to a little website that my buddy and a couple other guys put together. Not a lot of history on their dogs, but something to look at anyway.
http://www.koolaidprostaff.com/home.html
i think i have posted some of my stags and a few hounds. i got to see what i have on photobucket. i had a problem with my laptop that pissed me off and laptop is no longer with us :evil:
i know who Duane is in Or. he has some good dogs. he himself thinks very highly of them and him self. but lots of kids are cocky :lol: i did like the way his buckshot dog looked
your DD should work fine decoying. hope you have a speedy recovery. hell im glad there is someone on here that dont freak out when i say decoy dog for coyote hunting lol
one2many

Postby Goldfish » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 pm

I like that relentless pursuit show. Tim Wells is crazy but in a entertaining way to watch.

Yea, still think you guys are crazy to put your dogs out there as bait, but I know it's what they do.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 pm

Also, not going to lie, I do want to see those dogs working in person
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Duckdog » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:32 am

It is a lot of fun when it all works out. What these videos don't show, is the amount of stands these guys have to call where the coyote shows up, and bugs out when it sees the dog.
A lot of that is dependent on the time of year.
Right now is the time to get good dog work. During the actual fur season, it isn't near as good and can be a hindrance if your only goal is to kill a coyote.
I predict that in the very near future, we're going to see this really take off for a short spell.
There are a few "big names" getting into it and with that will come the shows and the videos. I foresee a bunch of new guys thinking that there's nothing to it and start looking for a dog.
But what they won't show is how much time and dedication, and all of the blank stands these guys call to get that footage.

Kind of like the newby duck hunter that wonders why there isn't wave after wave of ducks and geese landing in his one dozen deke spread like he saw on that video he watched yesterday.
"It looked so easy!" ;)

Truthfully,...I hope I'm wrong.
Duckdog

Postby Duckdog » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:43 am

Goldfish wrote:Yea, still think you guys are crazy to put your dogs out there as bait, but I know it's what they do.

And, "that" can happen too. For the most part, they just get very minor injuries, but the worst can always happen.
The guys that I know who do this for a living, as either private animal damage control, or working for wildlife services (USDA), like to remind us "recreational" hunters of that very fact.
On occasion, they'll run in to a coyote hell bent on killing the dog and nothing else.
One of them told us a story a couple of years ago about such a coyote.
It had locked onto his dog right in front of him and there was no way he could get a shot, and the coyote could care less that he was standing there. He broke the stock off of his shotgun over the coyotes head before it'd let go!
Duckdog

Postby Goldfish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:24 am

The videos I saw, the guy had a runner that looked like a hound of some sort (skinny fast dog) and then a brute of a dog that charged in once he shot to finish off the yote. It looked like it'd take one heck of a coyote (or multiple I suppose) to take out that dog especially with the runner as backup.
Goldfish

Postby one2many » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Goldfish wrote:The videos I saw, the guy had a runner that looked like a hound of some sort (skinny fast dog) and then a brute of a dog that charged in once he shot to finish off the yote. It looked like it'd take one heck of a coyote (or multiple I suppose) to take out that dog especially with the runner as backup.

thats different then how most decoying goes. i will decoy with one of my stags or lurchers setting next to me while the smaller dog plays tag with the yote. what is more the case in what you watched was running hounds with a catch dog. this can be the most fun when you have 4 or more guys with 6-8 dogs. we do this more in the winter got to be on your toes if the coyote is heading to a roadway, have to get ahead of it and turn it so your dogs dont get smashed on the road. we all have gps collars on the dogs with the
receivers in the trucks.it can be a great time.
one2many

Postby Goldfish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:13 pm

one2many wrote:
Goldfish wrote:The videos I saw, the guy had a runner that looked like a hound of some sort (skinny fast dog) and then a brute of a dog that charged in once he shot to finish off the yote. It looked like it'd take one heck of a coyote (or multiple I suppose) to take out that dog especially with the runner as backup.

thats different then how most decoying goes. i will decoy with one of my stags or lurchers setting next to me while the smaller dog plays tag with the yote. what is more the case in what you watched was running hounds with a catch dog. this can be the most fun when you have 4 or more guys with 6-8 dogs. we do this more in the winter got to be on your toes if the coyote is heading to a roadway, have to get ahead of it and turn it so your dogs dont get smashed on the road. we all have gps collars on the dogs with the
receivers in the trucks.it can be a great time.

That sounds like what I saw. They weren't chasing yotes over the country, three dog brought it to them/him
Goldfish

Postby Duckdog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:00 pm

OK,..I know of whom you speak now.
I don't have a lot of use for that guy, so bare that in mind.
The dog in question is/was a little aggressive. The reason I say "was" is because it died a few months ago from, what was reported as a "pack of stray dogs" attack.

Really, in MY opinion, the last thing you want in a GOOD decoy dog is one that just rushes out there to fight. Not only are you going to be sewing it up all the time, but it's not accomplishing the intended goal either,...kill more coyotes.
The "finishing it off" you saw, may have been exactly that, (I don't recall), but what happens most of the time, is after the "cat and mouse" game and a little grab ass, the dogs will charge a shot coyote and "wool" it.
It's more of a "take that! Ain't so tough now!" maneuver than anything. Some dogs do it, some don't.

The "hound looking dog" was probably one of his Blue Lacy or Blue Lacy crosses.
Like I said, I don't have any use for that guy. He tried to capitalize on the whole "decoy dog" thing by starting a guide service and breeding dogs.
He was shut down by the state (or county) for unsanitary type conditions. I don't think that was the exact wording, and I can't think of what it was really called, but his operation was infested with parvo and he was feeding the dogs nasty ass coyote carcasses. Inhumane? Something like that...
He kept lying about it, and kept peddling those sick dogs off on people until it finally caught up to him.
And his guide business? I think it's still afloat, but I'm sure if the people who'd flown down there to hunt and be guided by him, only to be stood up and/or not picked up had there way,...it'd be a done deal too.

So who is this guy?...I don't know. ;)
Duckdog

Postby Goldfish » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:22 am

Sounds about like the videos I saw, lol
Goldfish

Postby Duckdog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Here's another one for ya. This is my buddy Jeff again with his pup Rufas doing most of the work.

Duckdog

Postby Goldfish » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:17 pm

What was the purpose of the dogs in that video?
Goldfish

Postby Duckdog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:16 am

Honestly?...Nothing really. He's just getting a young dog some time in. You gotta give the dogs time and coyotes to learn their trade.
If the sole purpose was killing that coyote, he could have done so at any time.
But,...here's the REAL purpose behind a stand like that,...multiple coyotes.
And THAT is where having dogs like those really make a huge difference. If there had been more than one coyote show up on that stand, he could have shot that one, and then the dogs would have brought the other one back in too.

If you were just sitting out there calling without a dog, and you shot one but couldn't get on the other before it bugged out,...It's gone and chances are it's not coming back.
Having dogs out there, with the right sounds playing changes the game with multiple coyotes.

"Style" plays into it quite a bit too. Different guys expect different stuff out of their dogs. A lot of these guys will let their dogs "work" the coyotes for quite some time just to let the stand play out, or sometimes just to get good video footage. And, sometimes it's because it's what they enjoy.
Some guys don't want their dog more than 20 yards from them. Basically acting as a "stationary" decoy.

Some guys, like their dogs sitting next to them while their calling acting as "radar" with their eyes and nose, and then engaging the coyote with the grab ass and cat and mouse game, all the while hoping it'll draw other coyotes out of the brush. (I prefer this method because you get to witness the action, and I'm not totally secure with the idea of my dog being out there for extended periods of time)
And, some guys want their dogs out there hunting for coyotes the whole time. Sometimes a long long way out there.
I've been able to hunt with a dog like this, and it's amazing to watch!

My buddy had this young Catahoula male that ranged way out there. We'd set up in this corner, and off goes Mac! I could see him out there at the mile fence line when I heard coyotes bark howling in the draw on the next property. Mac looks that direction and off he goes!
About 20 minutes later he comes back into view with 3 coyotes in tow at a trot. They made it to the 1/2 mile mark, but turned around and headed back. In their mind, they'd ran him off and I think it was also a territorial boundary line.
So, he turns around and heads back to them!
This went on and on, but the closest they'd come was about 350 yards, and I whiffed the shot! :o
It was way cool to watch him do his thing though!
Later that day, a guy drove up from Oklahoma and my buddy sold him! Not his style, but a style some guys would die for.
Duckdog

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:33 am

Ok, so I'm not totally crazy, lol. It almost looked like the dogs and that yote were just playing back and forth in that video. Neat to see, but I want sure how it was beneficial till you explained the multiple yote thing
Goldfish

Postby one2many » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Goldfish wrote:Ok, so I'm not totally crazy, lol. It almost looked like the dogs and that yote were just playing back and forth in that video. Neat to see, but I want sure how it was beneficial till you explained the multiple yote thing

the back and forth,tag or grab ass is what a decoy dog does. they are playing with each other right up to the point you turn the coyotes lights out. it does get a little more dangerous if there are two or more. they will try and get a decoy dog and thats why you really need to spend time training them and make sure they recall as soon as you tell them.
one2many

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:04 pm

Ok. I just thought they were supposed to look like a tasty morsel for Wiley and they just run back to you faster than the coyote can. That's why I wasn't fond of the idea. Didn't realize they just sorta go back and forth like that. That's a lot less grim of an idea, lol
Goldfish

Postby one2many » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Goldfish wrote:Ok. I just thought they were supposed to look like a tasty morsel for Wiley and they just run back to you faster than the coyote can. That's why I wasn't fond of the idea. Didn't realize they just sorta go back and forth like that. That's a lot less grim of an idea, lol

now you got it :thumbsup: that pretty blue pup of yours would work out good if you trained him for it.
(no homo) but i love that dog
one2many

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Ha, the lady would flip her shit. (little back story, her jack Russell Lilly is the smartest dog I know, never runs off, we can let her outside to go to the bathroom and she'll come back when done) Every once in a blue moon I'll see a yote around our place since I'm by the river and the thought crossed my mind if one ever came after her jack while it was outside I'd just open the door and let Butters (pit) and Bella (my lab) take off after it. I have no doubt in my mind they would at least scare it off if not attack it for going after one of their pack mates. The lady didn't like that idea because she thought he wouldn't come back and be lost at night etc. I just figured it'd be the fastest way to make it drop the jack and bug out since I know it could run faster than I could.
Goldfish

Postby assateague » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't know how to break it to you, but it's pretty normal to just let a dog out to go piss, and then they come back to the door when done. Either that, or I've been blessed with a string of genius dogs going back to about 1974 :lol:
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:37 pm

assateague wrote:I don't know how to break it to you, but it's pretty normal to just let a dog out to go piss, and then they come back to the door when done. Either that, or I've been blessed with a string of genius dogs going back to about 1974 :lol:

Yeah. Its standard procedure....
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Duckdog » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:39 pm

For Goldie... ;)

She's actually my daughter's dog, so I'm a little more protective of her which means she doesn't come along very often.
Duckdog

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:10 pm

Yea, that story wasn't a very good representation... She actually is a really good dog tho.
Goldfish

Postby Goldfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:12 pm

That's pretty cool duckdog
Goldfish

Postby greenheadsonly4848 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:43 am

I am going to try and hunt the coyotes in the woods with a 12 gauge
I decided to use the HS Dead Coyote shells....I am excited about giving
it and shot
greenheadsonly4848

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum