Prairie dogs, so it starts

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Prairie dogs, so it starts

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:23 pm

Still kinda wintery out that way.

It was 6* when we got there, calm, and FULL sun.

I took BOTH the 250 and the 6 out with me. I had never used the 6 in a hunting environment and still have the crappy Bushnell scope on it so I wanted a back up. That was a waist .

I never fired the 22/250 and the 50 shells I packed in. I was a little handy capped with the scope but I did alright. The 55 gr ballistic tips did what there supposed to do. The dogs would fly ten feet in the air and be designated by time they hit the ground. Some out to over 300 yards. Daughter-in -law had the 204 and did very good, Her hubby my boy used the 17 hornet and was impressed with it too. Her father only had a 22 mag but killed quite a few too, more around the 150 yard mark. We quite at noon'ish and hiked out. The sun was melting the permafrost making that a real nasty hike with two guns, a back pack and my coyote belt. All in all for a first of March it was a good little dogen trip.

Image :thumbsup: :beer:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: Prairie dogs, so it starts

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:10 pm

We have no prairie dogs here but that looks like a hoot. Hope to follow some of your future hunts

Is there a season? Are they hunted as a nuisance critter? The long rang-small target aspect of it sounds like a blast, and I can only assimilate it to nutria hunting around here in the marshes of Louisiana where they're hunted as destructive nuisance animals.
Darren

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Kinda
No season on most land, or licenses needed. There a problem to the ranchers . the holes they dig can brake the grazing cattle's legs and they denude all grass in there colony. The town we were hunting is around 3 miles wide and 5 miles long... Shoot them and let them lay they also can carry the plague :o
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby The Duck Hammer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:21 pm

This is one of the things on my list to do. Looks like a funner form of squirrel huntin.
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Cover your ears, Darlin'
DeadEye_Dan
WFF Supporter

Postby Duplex Lover » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:18 am

There are lots of guided dog hunts out west . BUT be prepared to shoot 600 yards +
there are places you can do a on you own hunt but you have to do a lot of research and take a risk of coming out and hitting a poor weather shoot . It is something that is over looked opportunity. In the past we have had 300 shot days ( each) then others , we shoot only twice... twice!
:beer:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby The Duck Hammer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:04 am

Failed hunts kind of have my name wrote all over em. Lol
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt

Olly wrote: We're still the bastard pirates of the duck forum world.

WFF Prostaff
The Duck Hammer

Return to Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum