Shooting coyotes out and gophers back

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

Shooting coyotes out and gophers back

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:58 pm

I do a gopher hunt with a bunch of guys from all over the country annually. In the past we have shot out on a huge ranch but it sold. Last year we just kinda raddled around and didn't get much shooting in. This year the guy that is the ram rod for the group found a ranch north of Town about 50 miles.
My boy and I ran out there Sunday to see what was there. My guy apparently doesn't have a BLM map or GPS chip. We found the ranch and there was a good amount of gophers, BUT... The 10 miles of state land around the ranch was CRAWLING with them. We didn't think we would do any coyote calling because the wind was forecast to blow 30 mph, but it didn't it was calm. So we called anyway, I had my 22/250 and 10/22 but my son only had his High point 9mm ,( http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/Hi-Poin ... rbine.html ) very short range, and his 22 revolver. First two sets where dry but as we set there calling ,we had to push the gophers away with our feet to keep them out of your pant legs. We would shoot them on the walk out. The last set , we had to be home at noon, we set up and he hit the call in under 2 minutes a big male cam charging in right in front of me, didn't even have to move the gun just look down the scope and shoot. It stopped about 50 yards and I shot. Now I quite using Match king target bullets last year 'cause they just weren't KILLING the coyotes. I was using them up on the gophers. It must have passed right throw him and he just turned to run but looked back at me and gave me his growly face. I put another one in his neck and he was down. My boy was on the other side of a rise and he kept calling I figured something was up, YUP he had one coming in the other direction. It got about 75 yards and froze , he said it gave him the finger. It must have seen the truck. He had to try, That's is a LONG shot for a pistol shell even in a rifle there is only 3 gr of powder in it. Anyway good thing it's a auto . He got it ...SO we finished killing a ton of gophers and I marked several back up way point for gophers in the event the ranch peters out.
You guys been out ? Got a smidge of snow today and a touch of rain. It was 58* when I went to work it is below freezing now. :beer:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: Shooting coyotes out and gophers back

Postby Woody » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:01 pm

WHY ARE YOU YELLING?
Have you ever wondered why your dick still looks brand new, but your face is starting to look like an aging pirate?
Woody

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Woody wrote:WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

What I can't hear you sorry :cry:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby Legband » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:33 am

Sounds like a good time !
It's ok to yell I can't hear very good anyway. :D