LONG SHOT on a coyote

Small Game, Predator, & Trapping Forum!!!

LONG SHOT on a coyote

Postby Duplex Lover » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:37 pm

1/4 mile Out standing
My boy and I went calling coyotes Saturday. We had been watching the wind report all week , it looked doable but maybe a bit iffy . Well it was a matter of not enough wind not to much. it would swirl in all directions . We where right under the dividing line go a mile north and it was some kind of North ish breeze go a mile or so south and it was south ish.
First set we where in full darkness and tried some spotlighting no takers no trash talkers...
On to the next Man we where surrounded by dogs , barking and yipping every where. I think there was so many right where we where the ran each other off no one of them wanting to take them all on, long story short, Fun to listen to but no dogs.

A few more with Lots of back and forth we had 3 come in. I was just starting to fire when the 17 ,100 yards to my right went off. The dog standing side ways to me in my scope was now a running shot, witch I did not connect on. I see a coyote stumbling down the hill coming my way . It was the one son shot. Every time I fired at it, it fell just as I shot missed twice but he got a shot and it was down for good. Coming out we saw a coyote off to the left just looking around. I knelt down and the 22/250 had some blood too.

He can put the fur in the box quite fast.

We did serial more sets with just a lot of back talk but no one wanted to come in and dance.
On the way out we saw a road dog and it was in a spot we could park and on a peace of state ground, a quarter section.
I got out slid under the fence and my boy let out a long loud "WOOF" It seamed to take for ever for the noise to get out to him, he was trotting along the fence at the
Very end of the peace a 1/4 mile away. It stopped and looked my way . The slight breeze was straight over my shoulder straight at him. I put it dead center shoulder and elevated it a 1/4" above on 4 power and fired.
WAY COOL it slapped him and he was down , blown right off his feet.
The LONG walk out was flat but grassy and he looked like he never even twitched.

My longest kill ever on a coyote and the 22/250. A 1/4 mile is 440 yards so I think it was an honest 420 yard shot...
The 52 gr Berger at around 3800 fps did it's work just fine, but it must be getting quite a bit slower at that ranges , it past clear through the coyote with a tiny hole in each side.

COOL
3 in the box.

D

Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Re: LONG SHOT on a coyote

Postby Tomkat » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:21 pm

I would like to see a picture of that skinning rig you got there
Tomkat

Re: LONG SHOT on a coyote

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:31 pm