thinkin about gettin a dog

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: thinkin about gettin a dog

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:55 pm

Flightstopper wrote:Don't put so much thought into female vs male or chessie vs lab. Look at the two dogs being bred and make you decision that is what determines what you get. For training programs fowl dogs is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I found smartworks pretty dry.

SmartWorks is very dry, but it was so in depth that as long as you follow everything, it would be hard to fail.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Ajverret » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:00 pm

well i wanted the female to keep in the house and i know a male will want to mark his territory. the more i read it seems its got to be every day and i cant do that working offshore im away for 7 days and some of the guys ive taked to have done doing the 7 and 7 thing but it just seems like it will take twice as long
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:50 pm

You could always look into a started dog

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Ajverret » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:16 pm

ill be doin alot of research on local trainers and started dogs may be able to get a good deal but im trying to find out all of my options
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:51 pm

Either that, or as awesome as having a dog is, remote controlled decoys with some prongs off the front to push dead birds back to you works pretty good.

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Ajverret » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:47 am

Goldfish wrote:Either that, or as awesome as having a dog is, remote controlled decoys with some prongs off the front to push dead birds back to you works pretty good.

sent from a phancy fone

we tryed one of those and if its rough they over turn real easy and they dont get cripples and the prongs get hung up in the grass
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Goldfish » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:19 pm

My dads goose he made has never had a problem. The prongs are right at water level, so don't collect weeds. It still had it's keel so wouldn't overturn. But you are right about cripples.

sent from a phancy fone
Goldfish

Postby hotrodtoad » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:39 am

I had a full blood male Chessie, and now a female Chessadore and both are, were, good with kids. The male growled and snapped at my 2 year old son when he got close to his food while he was eating. A couple, three, good lumps on his head and it never happened again. The kid could share his food if he wanted too. The dog was very protective though. Nipped my sister one time when she reached for my kid. You couldn't stop him 'til he finished a retrieve. I can't think of a bird I lost with him. My female's 3 and gets better every year. A little hard headed, but tons of drive. Only thing she lacks is a good trainer. ;)

As far as health goes, mutts are typically healthier than full bloods any way. I can't count how many guys on these forums have had to have their 800.00 dogs put down at an early age because of some sort of health issue.
hotrodtoad

Postby Ajverret » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:13 am

The most I want to spent Ina dog is a couple hundred bucks I've found a few but the wife isn't ready for a pup at the moment maybe in feb or so ill get it
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Flightstopper » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 pm

hotrodtoad wrote:I had a full blood male Chessie, and now a female Chessadore and both are, were, good with kids. The male growled and snapped at my 2 year old son when he got close to his food while he was eating. A couple, three, good lumps on his head and it never happened again. The kid could share his food if he wanted too. The dog was very protective though. Nipped my sister one time when she reached for my kid. You couldn't stop him 'til he finished a retrieve. I can't think of a bird I lost with him. My female's 3 and gets better every year. A little hard headed, but tons of drive. Only thing she lacks is a good trainer. ;)

As far as health goes, mutts are typically healthier than full bloods any way. I can't count how many guys on these forums have had to have their 800.00 dogs put down at an early age because of some sort of health issue.

Ain't that the truth!! Never get a mutt on a whim just because. Damn dog will almost out live you!!!!!
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum