How much longer!!??

Everything Duck Dogs!

How much longer!!??

Postby Weston81 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:26 pm

So my wonder dog got sprayed by a skunk the weekend of the 24th and after three tomato juice baths and a bottle of stuff from the pet store that wonderful stench is still hanging around. Not overpowering by any means but enough that if she is sleeping in the house and you walk in the room you can smell it. WHEN WILL IT STOP?!?!?!
Weston81

Re: How much longer!!??

Postby JGUN » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:31 pm

Are you sure it's JUST on the dog???
Might try some Odoban on the dog and house.
JGUN

Postby Olly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Don't wanna scare you but I could still skunk on my dog when he got wet 9 months after he got hit. Have fun!

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Weston81 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:13 pm

I am pretty sure it's just on the dog unless it can still transfer onto other things after a couple days. I was away from my home when it happened and didn't get back home until two days later. She was wearing her vest and if not for that she would've gotten it a lot worse. The only thing I am hoping is that she learned her lesson and will leave them alone from now on. She got it right in the face/chest.
Weston81

Postby jarbo03 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:52 pm

Getting wet renews the skunk smell on a dog, Taz has been sprayed twice this year. What worked best for me was a mix of peroxide, bakibg soda, and dish soap. Way better than the skunk odor remover from the store.

Sent from an undisclosed location.
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Weston81 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:21 pm

I had thought I read that Taz seemed to have some bad luck with skunks. I will hop on google and see what all I can find with those ingredients, great day to give the dog a bath outside, 72 here in Missouri!!!.
Weston81

Postby Duplex Lover » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:59 pm

Get some "Aqua" Ammonia from your vet One bath and its all just a bad memory :thumbsup:
Sky blasting again...
Coyotes-R-Us
Duplex Lover

Postby hotrodtoad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:49 pm

jarbo03 wrote:Getting wet renews the skunk smell on a dog, Taz has been sprayed twice this year. What worked best for me was a mix of peroxide, bakibg soda, and dish soap. Way better than the skunk odor remover from the store.

Sent from an undisclosed location.

My dog has got it about 4 times in the last couple years. A big bottle of peroxide mixed with Dawn dish soap works good. Don't use water until your ready to rinse. The longer you wait to wash them, the less of the smell you can get off. It's like a smell stain. It sets in.
hotrodtoad

Postby assateague » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:09 pm

I used baking soda and peroxide on my hands yesterday. Worked pretty darn good.
assateague

Return to Gun Dog Forum