thinkin about gettin a dog

Everything Duck Dogs!

thinkin about gettin a dog

Postby Ajverret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:17 pm

im thinkin about gettin another dog if i can talk the wife into it i hunt alot of big open water about 3 to 4 feet deep and also some marsh and really shallow ponds i was thinking about getting either a chesapeake male or a male chocholate lab ive had a male chocholate male when i was a kid and he was a stubborn SOB any other dogs that would be good dogs also have a really small kid and a baby coming so kinda need somthin thats good with small kids
" Quack Stackin "
16' Lake sport w/ 35GTR Stage 1
Ajverret

Re: thinkin about gettin a dog

Postby capt1972 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:24 pm

Do it! However I suggest a female Lab.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Ajverret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:26 pm

im worried about it getting knocked up and i really dont wanna fix a dog. bitches can be whores
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Ajverret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:30 pm

and i have a big male american bull dog he is my watch dog and even tho they would be pretty pups i dodnt want that many dogs
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby capt1972 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:46 pm

Females just want to make you happy! They are not hard headed like a male.

I am talking about labs just so we're clear.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 pm

Maybe its just my dog, but that's one choc male that's not great with kids. Tug is actually pretty much a dickhead. He looks at kids with a look of disgust, like they are carrying a disease.

sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Ajverret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:49 pm

capt1972 wrote:Females just want to make you happy! They are not hard headed like a male.

I am talking about labs just so we're clear.

would keeping them inside for a house dog impair their hunting ability any a female would be alot better for inside
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:58 pm

My dogs have been inside/outside and I don't think it affects their hunting at all.

Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Ajverret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:04 pm

what is the differnce between the chesapeake and a lab temperment and training wise
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:05 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Maybe its just my dog, but that's one choc male that's not great with kids. Tug is actually pretty much a dickhead. He looks at kids with a look of disgust, like they are carrying a disease.

Charlie is a dickhead when it comes to kids also. He has never bit anyone or acted like he wants to, but you can sit it in his eyes when kids are over him. Of course this doesnt apply to my kid, but hes a little over protective of the kid and the new pup.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby capt1972 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Chessies are a one person dog and tend to be very protective. Labs are loyal and love everyone.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Ajverret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:13 pm

may have to look for a female chocholate
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby capt1972 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:30 pm

don't get me wrong, they are both great dogs. But, Labs. Are. Awesome!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Ajverret » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:32 pm

yeah ive had quite a few labs when i was a kid but my dad would only keep it for a year or so and trade it for sumthin else and i had on about a year ago that was an awsome dog and someone poisoned it
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby 3legged_lab » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:17 am

capt1972 wrote:Chessies are a one person dog and tend to be very protective. Labs are loyal and love everyone.

Ya, if you're not lookin' my lab will try to "love" on ya.

3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:25 am

capt1972 wrote:Chessies are a one person dog and tend to be very protective. Labs are loyal and love everyone.

Not sure if this was sarcastic or not, but blanket assumptions will get you into trouble. All dogs are not the same, just like all labs aren't. Do your homework and look at the parents to see what you want.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby BrewGUN » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 am

Eric Haynes wrote:

Not sure if this was sarcastic or not, but blanket assumptions will get you into trouble. All dogs are not the same, just like all labs aren't. Do your homework and look at the parents to see what you want.

My chessie, young yet, loves everyone but does tend to listen to more. If I was going to get another chessie I might get a female, my male is a little hard headed sometimes, or deaf not sure;) temper and attitude depends on the breeder and bloodlines.
BrewGUN

Postby Ajverret » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:23 am

thanks for the input guys

my main conseren was the long deep water retrieves but it seems like they both may suit my needs maybe if i can fins a lab chessie mix i can get the best of both worlds
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:59 am

Ajverret wrote:thanks for the input guys

my main conseren was the long deep water retrieves but it seems like they both may suit my needs maybe if i can fins a lab chessie mix i can get the best of both worlds

Wouldn't recommend getting any mix. No heath clearances and its not like they split attributes 50/50. I like pretty far north and my lab swims in the river when we are ice fishing. If you live in LA I wouldnt be worrying if a lab can handle your vacation winters:grin:
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Ajverret » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:23 am

Cool deal im looking around for a chocholate female kinda hoping i can find a freebie i dont need papers dogs cant read anyways
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Ajverret » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:09 am

does anyone have any favorites for training books and such. I downloaded a sample of tom dokkens retriever traning if anyone has a good one that is easy to, beacause i really have no clue were to start but would like to train it myself rather than spending a bunch of money to get it trained and would like to loan it out would be greatly appriciated
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:57 am

Ajverret wrote:does anyone have any favorites for training books and such. I downloaded a sample of tom dokkens retriever traning if anyone has a good one that is easy to, beacause i really have no clue were to start but would like to train it myself rather than spending a bunch of money to get it trained and would like to loan it out would be greatly appriciated

I have smart works, retriever fever, dokkens, and total retriever. Id go with smart works as it seems to be the most in depth and very detailed
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Ajverret » Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Eric Haynes wrote:
Ajverret wrote:does anyone have any favorites for training books and such. I downloaded a sample of tom dokkens retriever traning if anyone has a good one that is easy to, beacause i really have no clue were to start but would like to train it myself rather than spending a bunch of money to get it trained and would like to loan it out would be greatly appriciated

I have smart works, retriever fever, dokkens, and total retriever. Id go with smart works as it seems to be the most in depth and very detailed

thanks will look into them
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:38 pm

I have the Fowl Dawg videos by Rick Stawski. Seem pretty good

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Ajverret » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:48 pm

ive been reading a book i downloaded on i books and its pretty good its the tom dokkens retriever training seems like its worded for them dummy dog trainer
" Quack Stackin "
Ajverret

Postby Goldfish » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:54 pm

I've heard that the Water Dog and Gun Dog books by Richard Wolters are decent too.

Just like breeds of dogs though, you will get every sort of opinion on training methods and material.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Ajverret wrote:ive been reading a book i downloaded on i books and its pretty good its the tom dokkens retriever training seems like its worded for them dummy dog trainer

Ive read dokken's material. Its decent but it skips a lot and it seems like they rush the puppy stage.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Flightstopper » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:17 pm

Don't put so much thought into female vs male or chessie vs lab. Look at the two dogs being bred and make you decision that is what determines what you get. For training programs fowl dogs is pretty straight forward and easy to follow. I found smartworks pretty dry.
AKPirate wrote:Jason is usually right but sometimes wrong
Flightstopper
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Olly » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:43 pm

I followed water dog and it worked out great. A lot of common sense is required. I've also got a male, I'm thinking about getting a female next.

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Eric Haynes » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Olly wrote:I followed water dog and it worked out great. A lot of common sense is required. I've also got a male, I'm thinking about getting a female next.

Sent using Tapatalk

I have both a male and a female, I will take another female anyday over a male again. First female I've ever owned and she has been amazing.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Next

Return to Gun Dog Forum