Anyone ever used this?

Everything Duck Dogs!

Anyone ever used this?

Postby FlintRiverFowler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:42 pm

Only book i could find on training retrievers at the local book store. It's a good read the author is pretty comical and straight forward makes a lot of sense abt the psychology of dogs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360273339.637469.jpg
It was published in the early 80s.

Sent using tapatalk
YOU MUST REGISTER TO VIEW THIS IMAGE.
FlintRiverFowler

Re: Anyone ever used this?

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm

I'm no expert but its what I used after the pup ate my first dog training book I'd bought. He fetches ducks and that really all I care.

sent from my Galaxy S3 using tapatalk 2
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:50 pm

Don't buy it!........... That's the DVD I'm going to burn you....

Sent using Tapatalk
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Olly wrote:Don't buy it!........... That's the DVD I'm going to burn you....

Sent using Tapatalk

Looks like he already did.

Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby capt1972 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:08 pm

I used the book "Gun Dog". Same author, great book!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed From Time to Time With the BLOOD OF TYRANTS
capt1972
WFF Forum Moderator

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

I've heard a lot of people recommend that book along with Gun Dog by him. I've also heard people say it's best for using it as the dummy for the dog to retreive. You know how dog people are.
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:19 pm

Goldfish wrote: You know how dog people are.

Egotistical blowhards?

3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Matt Duncan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm

Goldfish wrote:I've heard a lot of people recommend that book along with Gun Dog by him. I've also heard people say it's best for using it as the dummy for the dog to retreive. You know how dog people are.

Only thing that two trainers will agree on is that the third guy is doing it wrong :D
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Postby jehler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:37 pm

pick up and read call of the wild by jack london, all you need to know about training dogs
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Matt Duncan » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:40 pm

jehler wrote:pick up and read call of the wild by jack london, all you need to know about training dogs

Kinda outdated now that the world has been gifted the dog whisperer Cesar Milan...
HRCH Walkers Puddle Jumpin Koda "Koda"
SHR Duncan's Haulin a Limit "Limit"
SHR Bourbon Bay's The Other Woman "Jolene"
Matt Duncan

Postby Goldfish » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Matt Duncan wrote:
Goldfish wrote:I've heard a lot of people recommend that book along with Gun Dog by him. I've also heard people say it's best for using it as the dummy for the dog to retreive. You know how dog people are.

Only thing that two trainers will agree on is that the third guy is doing it wrong :D

Lol, I like that one

sent from a phancy fone
My absolute favorite time of the day is from just before dawn, until just after. Most folks will spend their entire lives in bed sleeping through that magical hour - Mean Gene
Goldfish

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:39 pm

Wolters was my trainers mentor for years. Here is what he says about him.

labtrainer wrote:It's true Richard A Wolters was controversial , but he did get a lot of folks training pups at a much younger age because of his books. You have to give him that.
He was one of the founding fathers of NAHRA which eventually led the AKC to develop their Hunt Tests.
His dog RAWS Tartu was one of the "magnificent 7" that competed and qualified at the very first NAHRA Nationals. I was there with another Pro named Joe Letta and his Dog, LaMist's Bobbi Magee (she also qualified).
He traveled the world with his dogs and promoted the "Hunting Retriever" probably more than anyone before or since.
Yes he certainly did this in part to promote his books, but then again that's what he was, a writer!
His book, Gun Dog, was the insparation to the magazine that goes by the same name.
NAHRA still holds an annual RAW Invitational in his honor.
He was an accomplished Hot Air Balloon Pilot having crossed the Swiss Alps in one, and he also enjoyed Ultra Light aircraft.
He was diagnosed with terminal cancer and after a period of treatments he went for a flight in his favorite Ultra Light and upon landing he unexpectedly refueled and went back up, shortly after takeoff his aircraft crashed, he did not survive. Speculations on the cause of the crash still exist.

Having said all that......Richard was a pain in the neck! Very outspoken, very arrogant and very self centered. As a young trainer I had the opportunity to travel with him to a couple of his Demonstration/Seminar appointments, he knew how to entertain a crowd. But, Very demanding boss! Haha :lol3:
I soon began running my own dogs and clients dogs against him in the NAHRA Tests, he hated, I mean hated to be dropped.
Many times it was a bad Judge or a bad test or the gallery was noisey or the sun was wrong or................. :no: :lol3:

Regardless of the good or the bad,......Richard was a real character! I am glad I had a chance to know him.
I think he would embrace some of the advances in todays training methods (esp. if he could take credit for them) :lol3:
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:55 pm

jehler wrote:pick up and read call of the wild by jack london, all you need to know about training dogs

where the red fern grows John
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby jehler » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 pm

Redbeard wrote:

where the red fern grows John

That the one with the kid that kills all the coons?
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby quacknstack6 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:01 am

Pick up Fowl Dogs 1 and 2. Thank me later.
assateague wrote:
Tomkat wrote:AT, will you get that first pintail mounted?

I'll more than likely just mount it right there in the field.
quacknstack6

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:13 am

3legged_lab wrote:
Goldfish wrote: You know how dog people are.

Egotistical blowhards?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
goodkarmarising

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:06 pm

I used the same book. It's kind of weak but it got me started early, got me to use an e-collar, got me to buy a dummy-launcher, got me working on dog-stands, got me working on loading and un-loading a lot.
Also got me to work, work, work at it. It takes a ton of work to get a dog that will hunt in boats, blinds, pits, dog-stands, and all the other weird situations you get into if you are a hunter who adapts constantly to what the ducks are doing.

Keep this in mind when you train. Part of training... is training the dog that new stuff happens almost every day and get used to it. When you notice you are repeating the same old routine, change it up by adding a boat or blind into the equation. Then a dog stand tied to a tree. Keep changing it up and your dog will learn to expect to have to learn new tricks.

Try dragging a 5-year old dog that has never seen a goose pit into one in the dark one morning out of the blue.
Been there, done that, and it's not a good idea. ;)

"beware of the dog" applies to both mailmen and dog trainers.
"Richard Wolters"
Last edited by aunt betty on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby aunt betty » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:20 pm

White Fang is better. :wink:
I've heard that it's incredibly stupid to fuck around with a crazy man's head.
aunt betty

Postby rebelp74 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm

aunt betty wrote:
White Fang is better. :wink:

Dancing with Wolves.
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Return to Gun Dog Forum