Going to give it a go

Everything Duck Dogs!

Going to give it a go

Postby huntfishnv » Sun May 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Also posted on DHC but figured this can use as much input as possible. Will also probably give some of those guys a heart attack. :lol: :lol: Anyways...

I got a pup yesterday that's half golden retriever half standard poodle (both registered with AKC and healthy), I've decided to try training it to retrieve waterfowl. I have never trained a duck dog before and it was a pretty spur of the moment decision so I haven't done any reading on training retrievers, I don't know if anyone's ever tried to do this with a dog like this before so it might be rough along the way but I'm optimistic.

Can anyone recommend books or videos they found helpful? She's nine weeks old and seems to be a quick learner, already picking up fetch and the whole bathroom outside ideas so I'm excited. Any tips would be great... and you guys are welcome to give me tons sh^t for this.
huntfishnv

Re: Going to give it a go

Postby jarbo03 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:08 pm

Goldens and poodles can both be excellent hunting dogs, I bet she does just fine. Pick a program and stick with it, starting yesterday. I hear great things about Fowl Dawgs.

Sent from a gnarly phone with a kickstand
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Tomkat » Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 am

You see, this is the kind of thread that would get me in trouble on that other site.

I have grown as a person.

Good luck with your new dog.

Sent from a fancy ass phone
Tomkat

Postby Redbeard » Mon May 06, 2013 7:04 am

Goldendoodle!
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Mon May 06, 2013 7:05 am

It would be worth training a goldendoodle just to rub it in their faces. Of course you can't fail NV
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon May 06, 2013 8:46 am

Anyway you can get the dog retrieving its first bird on video and post it to DHC? Let me know when you will do, since I haven't signed into DHC in sometime...would be hilarious to see their comments.
goodkarmarising

Postby Rick » Mon May 06, 2013 11:03 am

Yeah, they're really raking him over the coals: http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=229418
Rick

Postby huntfishnv » Mon May 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Surprisingly, nobody flipped out....although if I would have said "goldendoodle" that might have got some bites.

Either way I'll post up a video of her getting a bird once it happens. Gonna get fowl dogs and start training as soon as it comes it, hopefully in a week-ish? I'll post pics soon, she's a cute pup- working on getting her used to her name right now, started training her to sit last night and she remembered the command this morning...still waiting for someone to freak on DHC
huntfishnv

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm

I guess I have the ability to draw out the good, the bad and the ugly in people...Oh well. :D
goodkarmarising

Postby Ducky192 » Tue May 07, 2013 2:20 pm

I have a lab pit mix more lab than pit but I wasn't sure how she would do as a duck dog. She's probably the best I have owned. Here's a trick I use for a gun shy dog which she was at first I download the sounds of shot guns on the computer and I start at a low volume till she got used to that and kept repeating as the volume came up until it was just about as loud as my real gun it broke her of it quickly
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
http://www.BioGameCalls.com
Ducky192

Postby jehler » Tue May 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Ducky192 wrote:I have a lab pit mix more lab than pit but I wasn't sure how she would do as a duck dog. She's probably the best I have owned. Here's a trick I use for a gun shy dog which she was at first I download the sounds of shot guns on the computer and I start at a low volume till she got used to that and kept repeating as the volume came up until it was just about as loud as my real gun it broke her of it quickly

That mix would make for a great baby retriever! As long as you didn't need the baby alive of course
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby Ducky192 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:26 pm

She is probably the sweetest dog I have ever owned, but if you need a baby retrieved give me call :lol:
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
Ducky192

Postby assateague » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 pm

jehler wrote:
Ducky192 wrote:I have a lab pit mix more lab than pit but I wasn't sure how she would do as a duck dog. She's probably the best I have owned. Here's a trick I use for a gun shy dog which she was at first I download the sounds of shot guns on the computer and I start at a low volume till she got used to that and kept repeating as the volume came up until it was just about as loud as my real gun it broke her of it quickly

That mix would make for a great baby retriever! As long as you didn't need the baby alive of course

I said deliver TO hand, not deliver THE hand.
assateague

Postby rebelp74 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reinstate TomKat

4-20MJ
rebelp74

Postby Ducky192 » Wed May 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Good one Assa! :lol: I would clap for that one but my right hand had a little errr incident so to speak.
Branden de Haas
Bio Game Calls
Ducky192

Return to Gun Dog Forum