Diamond dog foods hi-energy formula

Everything Duck Dogs!

Re: Diamond dog foods hi-energy formula

Postby Rick » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:44 pm

To the topic, Diamond has such a horrible recall record that I'll not give them another chance - but none of my dogs so fed have done particularly well on the 30/20, Professional or Performance depending on the time frame, so that wasn't a difficult decision.
Rick

Postby Eric Haynes » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:39 pm

My dogs did awesome on 30/20 Performance but i had to switch due to the paint peeling gas they produced. PPP Sport is what I feed now.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby jehler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:49 pm

Redbeard wrote:
jehler wrote:Chach gets 1 3/4 cup a day
exactly?
the wife doesn't do anything un-exactly
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby jehler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Rick wrote:
jehler wrote:Good source for research
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

On the contrary, even if you agree with their biases, which real, board certified, canine nutritionists often don't, all they're "analyzing" is what's on the label and under the assumption that it's the worst case allowed by labeling law. They are not looking at the mfg's actual practices and what is, in fact, in the bag.

The prime example being "meat" vs "meal". A feed listing "chicken," for instance, rather than "chicken meal," as it's first ingredient is heavily penalized under the DFA system, on the grounds that much of a meat is water cooked out in processing. Labeling law requires that ingredients be listed by weight prior to processing, so it is possible that could be the case. But there are also feeds like Pro Plan where the "chicken" is still first by weight post processing, or "as fed".

Another DFA black mark on Pro Plan which I've checked out is the listing of "animal fat," which DFA gigs for being generic, rather than high quality like "poultry fat". Had they bothered to ask, Pro Plan would have advised them that the fat used is that of the particular formula's primary protein source, so a chicken formula is, in fact, using a fat DFA likes.

In any event, like any information on the Internet, one really needs to consider the source. DFA isn't the work of canine nutritionists, instead "The ratings given and comments made about the foods assessed on this site and ingredients listed are the opinion of the Editors, who are a small team of volunteers each with a long standing interest in dog nutrition." Bonjour.
preaching to the choir Rick, just a good source to compare ingredients and what not under one roof. Some decent explanations of ingredients also, for someone who knows nothing it's a step in the right direction. I am naturally skeptical and forget others aren't
FREE THE QUOTE STREAM!
jehler

Postby 3legged_lab » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:45 pm

My dog eats his own shit when it strikes his fancy. He gets real excited over generic brand DOG FOOD.

I took my 13 year old black female to the vet for her rabies shot, the lady checking us in says "she can't be 13, her coat looks so good. What do you feed her?". I said "Ol Roy. But I put bacon grease on it once in a while."

You should have seen the look she shot me.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:56 am

3legged_lab wrote:My dog eats his own shit when it strikes his fancy. He gets real excited over generic brand DOG FOOD.

I took my 13 year old black female to the vet for her rabies shot, the lady checking us in says "she can't be 13, her coat looks so good. What do you feed her?". I said "Ol Roy. But I put bacon grease on it once in a while."

You're like the TK of the dog food world.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.
Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:25 am

3legged_lab wrote:My dog eats his own shit when it strikes his fancy. He gets real excited over generic brand DOG FOOD.

that's funny as hell
gila-river wrote:Great, now the cops want to install dishwashers to. Just do your job Red and stop encroaching on our rights to replace appliances. That is not the responsibility of police.:lol:
Redbeard

Postby Eric Haynes » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:57 am

Redbeard wrote:

that's funny as hell

Truth is, any food your dog does good on is what you should be feeding, whether its Ol Roy or Oregen. My dogs didn't do well on some very high quality foods but did excellent on PPP, so that's what they get. Neighbor feeds Dog Chow and his dog does perfect on it.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby goodkarmarising » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:14 am

3legged_lab wrote:My dog eats his own **** when it strikes his fancy. He gets real excited over generic brand DOG FOOD.

Had a german shepherd that lived till he was 16 years old on el cheapo dog food.
goodkarmarising

Postby 3legged_lab » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:01 pm

Hell, I even heard of a guy (around here) who feeds his dogs whitetail deer.
Bootlipkiller wrote: all the mallards I killed today had boners do to my epic calling.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby jarbo03 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:04 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:
3legged_lab wrote:My dog eats his own **** when it strikes his fancy. He gets real excited over generic brand DOG FOOD.

Had a german shepherd that lived till he was 16 years old on el cheapo dog food.

My lab and britt did great on cheapo food for many years, but there was a noticeable difference in their coats, shedding, and stool after switching to better foods.

Sent from my new unbroken fully functional phone
TAZ 2014-15 birds

Ducks: 57
Geese: 59
Pheasant: 4
Quail: 2
Prairie Chicken: 4
Dove: 168
jarbo03

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:04 am

I'm old enough to remember when the guys running the hardest working bird dogs in the country wanted to see lots of corn in their feed. Now netspurts like Dog Food Analysis claim corn is the devil, something real canine nutritionists disagree with them on but that has caught on with the general public.
Rick

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:08 am

Rick wrote:I'm old enough to remember when the guys running the hardest working bird dogs in the country wanted to see lots of corn in their feed. Now netspurts like Dog Food Analysis claim corn is the devil, something real canine nutritionists disagree with them on but that has caught on with the general public.

My dog seems to love corn and rasp/strawberries. None are in "high quality" foods

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 am

Layniebug loves gummy bears. Doesn't mean they'e going to comprise 30% of her diet.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 am

assateague wrote:Layniebug loves gummy bears. Doesn't mean they'e going to comprise 30% of her diet.

Gummy bears arent a nutritional food while berries and corn are. Ever seen a coyotes shit? Most of the time i see it, it has berry seeds and in the summer..apples.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Olly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 am

When my grand father was a E-9 in the airforce stationed in Vietnam for his last tour he was an MP his whole career and on his last tour he was the senior enlisted member in charge of the K-9 units in country. He said before there was a such thing as dog food they used to feed the dogs corn flakes and steamed ground chuck. He was in charge of thousands of dogs at the time I think.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 am

Olly wrote:When my grand father was a E-9 in the airforce stationed in Vietnam for his last tour he was an MP his whole career and on his last tour he was the senior enlisted member in charge of the K-9 units in country. He said before there was a such thing as dog food they used to feed the dogs corn flakes and steamed ground chuck. He was in charge of thousands of dogs at the time I think.

Sent from my phone.

A lot of guys have went back to the barf diet. I am not sure I could afford it though.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:10 am

To this day in Korea people feed their dogs rice and kimchi, some almost exclusively. I'm certainly not saying that these things (fruits and vegetables and such) are bad for dogs, I'm simply saying that, in my opinion, they shouldn't make up a significant portion of the diet. A look at their teeth will show what they are biologically "meant" to eat. I know of no creature which has teeth and a jaw motion completely unsuited for eating grain, which is meant to eat grain.
assateague

Postby Olly » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:18 am

I do give my dog the more expensive food with more meat contact then filler. I don't like any foods that use grain as a filler. Potato filler has made a difference in my does coat and energy.

Sent from my phone.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” ― Samuel Adams
Olly
WFF Administrator

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:06 am

assateague wrote:To this day in Korea people feed their dogs rice and kimchi, some almost exclusively. I'm certainly not saying that these things (fruits and vegetables and such) are bad for dogs, I'm simply saying that, in my opinion, they shouldn't make up a significant portion of the diet. A look at their teeth will show what they are biologically "meant" to eat. I know of no creature which has teeth and a jaw motion completely unsuited for eating grain, which is meant to eat grain.

Look at a bear. Majority of their diet is fruits and such. Very little meat yet their mouth structure looks like its suited for eating people.

Dogs aren't too much different. They will eat what they like. I do feed an expensive food but I won't bitch about someone feeding Ol Roy if that dog does good on it.

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:39 am

Maybe I just don't love my dogs as much as you guys, but the bastard won't be having a grocery bill as high as mine. I'm the alpha in the house.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 am

Make no mistake, I would, and do, feed the cheap stuff every chance I get. But I notice a huge, almost immediate difference when I feed something better.
assateague

Postby Eric Haynes » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:30 pm

3legged_lab wrote:Maybe I just don't love my dogs as much as you guys, but the bastard won't be having a grocery bill as high as mine. I'm the alpha in the house.

You got all the corners in your place marked. I bet Tug has more territory claimed than you, Beta

Eric Haynes
WFF Supporter

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:26 pm

Anyone else ever notice that wild canids favor the "byproducts" netspurts say won't be found in quality dog foods over other meat?

And dogs are not cats. Cats are "dedicated carnivors" not physiologically designed to digest much other than meat. Dogs are more omnivorous and digest other sources of nutrients just fine. My "coyote" no doubt gets more good out of it when properly processed in a dog food, but is partial to rice in any form:

Also thought it interesting when in conversation about the butane cannons we use to keep birds out of crops or crawfish ponds, a fellow from East Texas(?) said the did the same to keep coyotes out of the watermelons.
Rick

Postby assateague » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Again, not saying it's bad. And eating the guts out of something is not so much a preference for the digested grain (which, for the record, has chemically changed as soon as it meets the stomach enzymes- corn in a gut and intestine is not the same as corn in a pot on the stove) as it is a primal cost-benefit analysis. Eating the rich, easy to get to organs will provide more nutrition in a shorter period of time, with less energy required to digest than chewing on a hindquarter. It isn't necessarily a preference for rice. And I would be more than a little shocked if your Yote, when presented with a plate of hamburger and a plate of rice, side by side, chose the rice.

I will say that moderation and variety are far more beneficial than a one-item diet. For any animal. That's never been my point. But just seeing how bad processed grains are for humans, I can't imagine they're good for dogs, either. The difference between raw grain and processed grain is pretty darn significant, actually, from a nutritional standpoint.
assateague

Postby goodkarmarising » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:53 pm

My 2 dollar mutts get dollar menu Mcdoubles from time to time...Is that high energy enough?
goodkarmarising

Postby Rick » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:15 pm

assateague wrote:Again, not saying it's bad. And eating the guts out of something is not so much a preference for the digested grain (which, for the record, has chemically changed as soon as it meets the stomach enzymes- corn in a gut and intestine is not the same as corn in a pot on the stove) as it is a primal cost-benefit analysis. Eating the rich, easy to get to organs will provide more nutrition in a shorter period of time, with less energy required to digest than chewing on a hindquarter.

Didn't intend to suggest canids ate byproducts to get the good from grain, though I've seen that notion before. My byproduct point was simply that there's great good in what some believe bad, because they think of byproducts in terms of waste from a human standpoint, rather than nutrition from the animal's. "Chicken feet, ugh!", when there's good stuff in dem feets.

(Though I don't 'spose you'd hear many old Cajuns knocking chicken feet, some other "byproducts" on their own table, either. Never tried them myself, but Sweet Chereaux and her sisters were said to have fought over the feet in a hen stew.)
Rick

Postby 3legged_lab » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 pm

goodkarmarising wrote:My 2 dollar mutts get dollar menu Mcdoubles from time to time...Is that high energy enough?

Spoiling them big time.
3legged_lab
WFF Supporter

Previous

Return to Gun Dog Forum